amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

qps

Verified Provider
it's possible they might be able to aggregate some more of it.
Since we got down to just /23 and /24 remaining, ARIN is saying one request = one block, so I don't know if they are planning to do any more of that.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
ARIN's webpage now shows only 400 /24s left, all /23s are gone.
The /24's will go to startups that have no choice. I don't expect to see any host returning for just a /24, especially since it blacklists them from the whitelist for 3 months. 3 months is a long time, if you aren't getting on the waiting list this month then don't expect to get space in September.

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
if you aren't getting on the waiting list this month then don't expect to get space in September.
I suspect if you aren't already on the waiting list, the chances are pretty slim for getting space in September.  There was a big rush toward the end, and I'm sure companies like Frontier and Time Warner Cable have already gone back for more space.

coreyman

Verified Provider
The /24's will go to startups that have no choice. I don't expect to see any host returning for just a /24, especially since it blacklists them from the whitelist for 3 months. 3 months is a long time, if you aren't getting on the waiting list this month then don't expect to get space in September.

Francisco
Well I only wanted an additional /23, so if they offer a /24 I'll take it so that in three months I can ask for another /24.

qps

Verified Provider
If not im assuming there won't be too long of a wait list for a /24 when IANA decides to hand over some space.
After September, I don't think there will be much more coming from IANA (unless they don't distribute everything that is in the free pool in September).

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
After September, I don't think there will be much more coming from IANA (unless they don't distribute everything that is in the free pool in September).
I could see them slow-dripping the other regions since they're all sitting on some IP's (since they put in /22 policies a while back). ARIN is the only one that didn't put such a policy in place. Lets say ARIN gets ~2 million IP's in September, it won't last long since I know multiple providers that are wanting to get /17's and you know some of the June heavy hitters will have found enough spammers to burn their latest blocks.

Francisco

coreyman

Verified Provider
So you are saying in October they wont have any /24's more than likely?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So you are saying in October they wont have any /24's more than likely?
Well, it's possible. They chunked through /23's really quick and since it's just /24's left it will go fast. They assigned 7 /24's tonight, and that's assuming they didn't aggregate any subnets to make up the /23's & /22's they issued as well.

The total's should update in the next little bit, but the email is already posted.

EDIT - Nope, I'm wrong on the aggregates. They have a note for this very thing on the site:

Please note that you will continue to see IPv4 blocks larger than what remains in the inventory issued from ARIN over the next 60 days. The reason for this is that when an organization is approved for IPv4 address space, they are granted an approval that is valid for 60 days.
EDIT 2 - 393 -> 372

Maybe they did aggregate??

Edit 3 - Dammit! Thanks @rds100

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

rds100

Verified Provider
It's 372, not 272.

Also ARIN has some /10 set aside "for transition to ipv6". I have no idea how they are going to use this. Maybe it will be similar to RIPE's - a /22 to each member and that's it?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It's 372, not 272.

Also ARIN has some /10 set aside "for transition to ipv6". I have no idea how they are going to use this. Maybe it will be similar to RIPE's - a /22 to each member and that's it?
Dammit. Fixed. Still, average that burn rate over a month or two and you'll be easily through whats left. I asked them on facebook if they are aggregating blocks for /22's & /23's.

Likely a /23 each or something. It's just CGNAT, so they'll expect that /23 to go the distance. It won't be great for multi state ISP's but to be honest, I don't see any new ones springing up anyway.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

PureVoltage

Verified Provider
Down a little more. /24 --> 357

Still waiting for them to process our /20 right now signed the officer letter I believe Monday. They must be pretty darn busy there right now for how long it's taking.

amuck-landowner