amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
If it lasts until summer, that's bad for CC's market plan for the summer host webhost package.
Hah.

ARIN has 'allocation graphs' that show how much they provision each month and how many requests come in.

You can see that they're pretty constant on outbound subnets, meaning they likely have a pretty

good idea of where they'll fall, assuming no more cloudflare requests come in.

Francisco

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I remain skeptical because

• I can still get ipv4 addresses all day for $1/mo or less
  • This price has not risen in years
  • Tons of big blocks still floating around out there waiting for renumbering/release.
What I expect to happen is that price will rise, big company X will decide it's worth the money to renumber and sell, price will equalize, etc.  This cycle can go on for a long time yet.

Heck, Hewlett-Packard doesn't need two /8s.  They don't even need one.  And that's just Class A.

I suspect yes, eventually there will be more of a crunch, but I think it's a long time away.

But then, I didn't win $1 billion in my March Madness bracket, so my crystal ball is unreliable.

SkylarM

Verified Provider

• Tons of big blocks still floating around out there waiting for renumbering/release.
1) Prices won't go up until your provider can't get more. Idea is to sell sell sell so they can get more more more from ARIN

2) See 1.

3) Big blocks will likely conveniently come back when it suits the holder's best interest (IE good publicity, whatever). I wouldn't count on it, however, as that's what I'd label as unknown IP space. It isn't currently available, so never expect or rely on it to become such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

What I expect to happen is that price will rise, big company X will decide it's worth the money to renumber and sell, price will equalize, etc.  This cycle can go on for a long time yet.
Heck, Hewlett-Packard doesn't need two /8s.  They don't even need one.  And that's just Class A.

I suspect yes, eventually there will be more of a crunch, but I think it's a long time away.

But then, I didn't win $1 billion in my March Madness bracket, so my crystal ball is unreliable.
I think you misunderstand me.

I'm not saying that once the last /8 rules kick in, that the markets going to melt down the next day.

What I'm saying, though, is that it'll become harder and harder to get subnets unless people are going

to start trying to buy legacy's or leasing space from a broker. Average IP prices are $11/ea if it's legacy

I think, not a cheap price considering it's always on /20's or bigger.

Now, what will happen is that many decent VPS datacenters are going to start weighing costs.

Is it worth it to sell that /25 to the dude renting a $150/m E3? Well no, because I can chop that /25

into 32 some odd /30's and have 32 dedi's sold.

Francisco

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Also, it's taking ARIN a much longer time to respond and process requests these days. As in half a month to get what is not a very large block. One or two replies per week if you're lucky.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Also, it's taking ARIN a much longer time to respond and process requests these days. As in half a month to get what is not a very large block. One or two replies per week if you're lucky.

My request was granted same day as yours, took me 5 weeks.

rds100

Verified Provider
1.26 /8s left as of today. I wonder, is there a graph somewhere showing the change of the remaining "stock" in time?

It would be interesting to see the trend - i.e. is the speed of depletion increasing or decreasing.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
I wouldn't doubt that there's a ton of urpad, etc, allocations still declared on their justification forms

and SWIP's.

Francisco
There is, I get complaints (Sometimes multiple times a day) for Ip's I never had which are now allocated to New Wave NetConnect, 123systems,HVH,GVH and Bluevm.

1360S1g.png

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Oh look, another one. This time it's under colocrossing directly. (Note: I do not work for my old company the email is going to a personal email account which was on my CC account and some ip's)

LsWCMPi.png

IP Information for 198.23.243.237

IP Location: us.gif United States Williamsville Colocrossing ASN: us.gif AS36352 AS-COLOCROSSING - ColoCrossing,US (registered Dec 12, 2005) Resolve Host: mail24.hosting20.org

Thelen

Verified Provider
APNIC is still handing out IPs FYI, but yea, the last /8 crunch will likely be a lot worse in US than Asia.

Thelen

Verified Provider
Oh right, yea, thought you meant entirely. But I suppose from this perspective 1k IPs isn't worth talking about.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
ARIN is down to 1.00 /8. AKAMAI received 104.64.0.0/10. A /10...
Yeah I don't know how they justified a /10.

All I can think is that for such huge organizations, ARIN allows them to justify more than just 3 months of growth. That has to be like "We don't need IP space for the rest of our existence."

I'm really happy to see that i'm wrong and that there isn't a /22 policy. I'm waiting on TeamARIN

to confirm on twitter but from what I've read there isn't, they just have much more strict policies.

To anyone that has got a subnet recently, what was your turn around time from start<>finish? I know

Nick/etc mentioned 5 weeks earlier, but anyone else?

Francisco

amuck-landowner