amuck-landowner

[ASK] VPS Business from HOME?

Onra Host

Verified Provider
I would defiantly recommend you look into reseller hosting first (both shared and vps wise). This way you can learn the industry a little bit while not actually having the big support burden. 

In the mean time practice, practice, and practice some more on your own server. Like other mentioned you can put local friends on these boxes and you can mess around with those and learn, 

Hassan

Verified Provider
Hey guys!

Let's start at the beginning. I am an 23 years old System Administrator entrant, I am done with my schools recently.

So I want to start my online business by selling VPS but I have so many questions about it.

I have a few unused computers and I am wondering if I can make some bucks with them.

The main stats are:

2 core, 2 gb ram, 200 gb hdd

8 core, 4 gb ram, 1000 gb hdd

link: 150/15 mbps

Is there a way to make the servers fully automated with free solutions? I dont have hundreds of dollars for licenses.

I've been googling around and found that it is WHMCS that I need but could not find a minimalist and free wordpress(or not wordpress) template for my site.

I am also intrested Linux and Windows solutions.

I know there isn't a tutorial like "how to be a vps provider" but I hope you guys can give me some advice.

Thanks

Regards, Zsolt!

I wouldn't provide services to the public with residential bandwidth. You want to look into colocating your hardware somewhere close, you can probably find a good deal for around $50/mo at a lot of DCs. 

haloelite3

Hello,

Have you thought about renting out a dedicated server first and then doing it that way first? You can get some good deals out there - once you have started and comfortable you can think about owning a full blown server in a Datacentre!

haloelite3

I agree ^ Some providers have been very successful with reselling and therefore get the customers and get the start money so they can start the phase of buying and selling servers however when reselling you need to make sure what you are getting yourself into and make sure to read all the terms and conditions and etc. You do not want to get caught out by those nifty companies!

Last edited by a moderator:

That IT guy

For personal websites and projects I do not think it is a big issue, but I wouldn't run anything serious from home. Some people run websites from their RaspberryPi mini computers at home which is neat, others run websites on regular desktop computers or cheap ebay servers... but these are all project websites. Maybe if you could run multiple business grade connections to your bedroom if you live in an area with that sort of diversity in ISP choices... like Comcast Business and ATT Business... but even then you will have power issues (need a backup generator and large UPS), proper cooling and some sort of security. Would be easier and cheaper to rent a server or send your own server to a datacenter for hosting...

foreign

Verified Provider
The only advice I can give you:
Learn from other people's and companies' mistakes, so you don't have to learn from your own(In case you did the mistake, learn quickly from it).

Good luck :)

River

Verified Provider
You definately will want a stronger connection, and you will probably not be allowed to host a VPS node on a residential connection.

TBH if you are serious, you're probably best of investing in a dedi and starting up in a DC somewhere or doing a colo in a local DC.

MikeA

Verified Provider
Despite the bumps on this thread (and I hate replying to old threads!), I wanted to ask this to the OP and in general for future views, but why not try to apply to work at a larger company that is already high up in the industry, or non-comsumer hosting related job for an IT company? There's a slim chance, very true, but if you have a degree since you said you just finished school, you're already more eligible than I myself am for 90% of jobs since I have no degree yet. Not only you'll have a job with a steady income, but depending on the company you have a chance for benefits too.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner