amuck-landowner

Backup Network anyone?

Patrick Bostwick

I use cox cable at home and tether with AT&T if my home connection goes down (this rarely happens with cox though).  Failing that I just drive down to the datacenter and use our connection there.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Heard nothing about nightmares from FreedomPop, check the Amazon reviews before purchasing.
I was skeptical when I bought it, but for $18 it wasn't a huge investment and the free 500MB was legit, I opted to pay for the rollover MBs because I want to avoid using hotel WIFI if I can so I'm stocking up on MBs before my vacation.

People complained that you can't cancel the free trial and are automatically billed unless you sit on hold for 30 minutes but I was able to cancel my free trial in maybe 6 mouse clicks (no phone calls, e-mails, tickets, waiting, etc...).

Connectivity was a concern also but I get better signal at work and in my apartment than I do on my cell phones. Speeds at my apartment are faster than at work, but considering my work is not within their coverage map I'm happy with 6Mbps down (my cell phone only has 3G and I'm lucky to see 1Mbps down anywhere in the state).

Last edited by a moderator:

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Cable at the home/office with AT&T 4G as a backup with the hotspot feature.  Hotspot is included in my AT&T plan now, but even before it was free I just used FoxFi on Android to get around the AT&T limitations.  So I suggest anyone who needs hotspot and doesn't have it included to check it out.  It was a $7 one time purchase in Google Play and it works perfectly.  I started using it ~2 years ago when AT&T was still trying to charge $20/month for Hotspot.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I used to use my Republic Wireless phone as a hotspot but then I upgraded to a new phone and there's no easy way to root it without making their software sad which is why I got the FreedomPop hotspot, it was cheaper than voiding my warranty.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
I used to use my Republic Wireless phone as a hotspot but then I upgraded to a new phone and there's no easy way to root it without making their software sad which is why I got the FreedomPop hotspot, it was cheaper than voiding my warranty.
Android phone?  If so, FoxFi in Google Play enables the hotspot without the need for rooting.

nunim

VPS Junkie
[SIZE=10.5pt]My Telus connection is remarkably stable, however if you work online having a backup internet connection is absolutely critical.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I use my Nexus 5 as a 3G backup in case my internet does go down. The issue I'm facing is my mobile dynamic IP changes far more often than my DSL dynamic IP, which is an issue with IP restricted services.  The only workaround is using an RDP/NX instance; unfortunately the latency on a mobile connection makes it painful.[/SIZE]

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Here in the UK I have a 4G Connection with EE with 50GB/Month with the ability to purchase extra when/if required, aswell as phones spread across multiple networks. As well as a standard home Broadband Connection.

Being 4G, if works great if not better than the standard Broadband with sub 10ms ping's and Up/Down rate of 40+.

mikeyur

Verified Provider
Currently looking into satellite backup options to add to the mix in the event of a natural disaster or area outage.
Just don't do what my previous employer did.. have 3 backups for internet, but no backup power in the event of an outage. Kinda screws up stuff for an ecommerce business, with voip phone lines and electronic entry on every door in the building. Were down for a few hours while we bought a generator and rewired all the important stuff.

[SIZE=10.5pt]My Telus connection is remarkably stable, however if you work online having a backup internet connection is absolutely critical.[/SIZE]
I'm jealous of Telus' routes, but Shaw has been stable. Considering a backup as I do work online from home and more bandwidth/higher data cap never hurts.

Serveo

Verified Provider
As I'm most of the time on the move around in Europe I live with:

- Apartments line connection (I always choose for coax seen the improvements the past couple of years)

or Hotel wifi

As backup when line ain't working I always have data plans on the go

- iPhone 5s with 4G global dataplan cover

- iPhone 4s local SIM

- mifi device

TekStorm - Walter

Well, I have a package from my internet company with unlimited access, but for some reason that it does go down then i go to my phone, true it might eat up alot of money doing it that way if it a prolong down time with the net. But, it will save you missing you work objective and keep you out of hot water with the company when you fail to fulfil the contract that you and the company agreed upon.

hostinghouston

Verified Provider
I have AT&T U-Verse and it's been very reliable so far. But, in case of it going down, I have a Sprint Galaxy S5 that I can switch on the mobile hotspot and use 4G-LTE. And, if for some strange reason that fails too, there is also a 3G Virgin Mobile hotspot laying around.

Amitz

100 Mbps cable -> 6 Mbps DSL -> 4G tethering. If all this breaks at the same time, then I call it a day and have some drinks and joints. :)

amuck-landowner