amuck-landowner

BBB alternative for hosting industry

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Real quick post here :)

What do others in the community think about a new company for the hosting industry that would offer a place for complaints from customers, means of resolving them, apply different factors into a rating for the host and offer some basis of validating a hosting company is legitimate and business worthy?   Think of that last part of a real VERIFIED status that would be accompanied with graphics and reusable stuff to stand offers out elsewhere and provide something good to the consumer up front?

It would per se be somewhat like the Better Business Bureau, but would go far beyond what they do and focus purely on hosting and related companies.

This would be, from the ground up --- brand new.

Other folks see the need and benefits?  

Discuss below.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Maybe it can be operated by group of hosting vets who are selected via public vote from fellow holsters? And key will.change hands every year to new group of people. Verified seal for hosters/providers etc. I think I kinda like this idea. And with recent multi company syndrome, this might be useful.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Maybe it can be operated by group of hosting vets who are selected via public vote from fellow holsters?
Great idea. Possibly even just vetted VPS users and those of us with lots of experience in VPS use who can tell the difference between ioping and dd and where these are applicable and BS.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Great idea. Possibly even just vetted VPS users and those of us with lots of experience in VPS use who can tell the difference between ioping and dd and where these are applicable and BS.
I don't think corporate world would be managed by end users ;). Kinda like how local chamber of commerce works. Like, every business can be a part of it and etc.... End users benefit would be added 3rd party vetting/verification.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Just gonna say, sometimes I see favoritism between providers.

Gotta be careful of that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

rds100

Verified Provider
Yes, but can these customers be verified somehow? Some providers will just pay for tons of fake reviews, as they do today on WHT and other places.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I smell corruption and "highest bidder gets best rating"

I am weary of any hierarchy.  All folks in power seem to inevitably let that power/role corrupt their better judgment.

I proposed this because I had been mentally dancing with the idea for a while.  I see too much fraud, lies and deception by hosting cartels.  No one outside of myself and a few others do much to validate who is what.  The original Lowendadmin did a bit of digging and that slowed the bad companies then from overtaking LET/LEB.  Some of the clashes were legendary and have lingered/been confirmed by same deeds of same parties until recently.

There is a need is for being able to say and display a verification emblem / graphic that means something and use that anywhere you post/offer.    On that emblem linkage to a breakout profile and general public details and all sorts of useful stuff about your business.

Yes, we'd interface with problem customers too like the BBB does.  Formal process and attempt to get mutual satisfaction for the customer and the company involved.

I'd probably formulate several different key indicators that would be calculated actively based on different things.  So it would double as a directory of companies offering various data services as well.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
How long before corruption rears its ugly head?

Lol @ a rating system. I wonder how that's gonna work. Even the BBB is corrupt and can barely keep functioning, mostly because of presure from the media and businsses that they've screwed in the past, trying to extort fees from them for an A+ rating. I mean I see Banks (mostly) and Credit Card companies that should have a big fat F- get away with an A/A+!!!

Now, considering the pyramid style organization of the hosting industry, the nerd cartels, the anonymity so many cling on to... well... good luck with that. I always say to people how naive and uneducated they are when they sign up with a provider that they don't know anything about, but trust their personal information and data without even thinking twice about it, just because they got a coupon and can get a VPS/Shared hosting for next to nothing.

The thing is that there are companies that make billions from hosting every year. They are anywhere from data center networks to domain registrars. And they like how everything is right now. They have influence and power (oh, and did I mention money?!). If they wanted to have the industry regulated they would have lobied for that a long time ago. But they don't. Same thing with a rating system for hosting companies / complaint bureau: if they wanted something like that, it would have existed a long time ago. Competition in the hosting industry is different. Small insignificant providers like us will have to rely on reputation and word of mouth because we don't have the marketing / advertising budgets of the big guys, while they can afford to pay for TV ads (anyone see the latest 1and1 ads?). It's like fast food: the common person doesn't think it through when they see and ad for a .99 cent burito that the fast food chain spent a quarter million dollars to show the ad on TV. They just go out an buy that crap.

Want more scary stuff? Well here it is: up until recently providers like GoDaddy for example delivered abysmal shared hosting and virtual private servers. But with the advent of blade servers like the E5 that can cheaply pack up to 256GB RAM (I know, I know, with an expensive mobo you can install more), with the lowered prices of SSD drives and caching technologies, they won't have to offer a shitty experience anymore. In fact GoDaddy is moving to Xen. Gee, I wonder why...? These mamoth providers won't have to cheat their customers out of their resources anymore in the near future. Then what? Rackspace is still running a ton of old hardware, but on the other hand they have lots of money, so I asume that they will upgrade at some point.

The only thing that comes even remotely close to offering some insight into various hosting businesses is none other than Server Bear due to how it colects, compiles and publicaly displays data. Stuart had the right idea with that one.

Anyway, enough ranting for one night :lol:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Will not work.

You have to have all address and payment information to verify the client is real.

But who will give all customer information to a third party that is involved in the same business?

And what customer will allow it?

Noone.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Will not work. You have to have all address and payment information to verify the client is real. But who will give all customer information to a third party that is involved in the same business? And what customer will allow it? Noone.
@wlanboy actually the BBB does not verify the customer's information, it just forwards the complaint to the business along with the information that information that the complaining customer provides. The BBB does not get involved in verifying personal information. If it's a legal situation where the law needs to get involved or the complaint is about a medial or law professional then the BBB stays out of it (*cough* they don't really do that much *cough*). However the BBB works with business from almost every area of the economy: cell phone providers, banks, credit card companies, car manufacturers, and they all pay membership fees for that BBB seal. That's all good and fine, we have a semi-corupt organization that somehow *cough* semi *cough* works.

Now we get to the interesting part: who will finance this organization? The hosting industry? Cause we all know how that's gonna play out (look at WHT for example) ... :lol:

VIrMonj.gif

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 You have to have all address and payment information to verify the client is real. But who will give all customer information to a third party that is involved in the same business?

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@ no reason to quote your last post, however I agree with it :)

Now lets break the tension a bit. Cut scene from the 2006 flick "Tokyo Drift":

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@wlanboy However the BBB works with business from almost every area of the economy: cell phone providers, banks, credit card companies, car manufacturers, and they all pay membership fees for that BBB seal. That's all good and fine, we have a semi-corupt organization that somehow *cough* semi *cough* works.

Now we get to the interesting part: who will finance this organization? The hosting industry? Cause we all know how that's gonna play out (look at WHT for example) ... :lol:
BBB offers little value in general.  Most consumers have no reason to interact with them and that is very apparent by the lack of complaints filed against huge shady companies with the BBB.

Finance such a thing?  Well certainly shouldn't be a non profit, at least not initially.  It's a viable business model per se.  Financing isn't much to operate such.  Everything is online practically for distributing the info.   Rest of the risk money is to compensate for time for whatever team operates the company.

How does it get funded? Well, that's always a tough one.  Membership works elsewhere.  But I question what anyone gets by paying to be a member of any organization.     Have to give that some thought - products, financing, etc.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@ for some reason whenever I see Justin Bieber I'm reminded of all the teenage summer hosts out there. Maybe we could get in touch with him to finance this organization ... he can bankroll it for sure ... that way it'd be neutral... :lol:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I see Justin Bieber I'm reminded of all the teenage summer hosts out there

I've worked in membership organizations in the past.    While it takes money to do things, most organization like that are fat cats sitting in plush seats.  Very few people and dollars do 80% of the work.  So it's not really expensive to operate.   Very honest business if operated by honest people with right intentions. 

Summer hosts are only one of the industry locust plagues.  Plenty of bad big company experiences people should know/research/have info better before purchasing.  Info that suits their interests and needs.  For instance, a provider might be unmanaged and that should be clear and defined to new non tech customer. 

Another company might claim 24/7 support but take 4 hours on ticket response.  Again something that would be nice to see.

Yes some of it is complicated, based from complaints, potential for issues. But you start and try and perfect as you go :)

amuck-landowner