amuck-landowner

Best Desktop

Chronic

..... go burn in a fire :|

Mun
When you can give me native-like performance of Windows software on a Linux system, you can curse it all you want. Until then, sadly, it is still part of my repertoire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
When you can give me native-like performance of Windows software on a Linux system, you can curse it all you want.
I can't decide whether to take this seriously XD  I almost feel obliged to make a comparison between native-like performance of Windows and a severely restricted jailed shell :p

I stopped using Windows as a primary OS after being sorely disappointed with Win95. To date, I've given every version of Windows (except 8, which I just can't justify spending the time to dick around with) a try to see if things have improved any. And aside from the severely lacking commandline, any system or GUI that I have to start piling applications on top of just to make small changes or have it behave the way I want it to is a no-go for me.  It's all opinion though - to each their own.

Sajan P

Verified Provider
I've been rocking Unity and actually love it.  It had it's time with it was complete crap, and people hated it.  It's come a long way and is definitely one of the best at the moment.

Of course some people think it's still cool to hate on Unity.

KMyers

I am personally a huge fan of Gnome 3/Gnome Shell. I have just upgraded from Gnome 3.6 to Gnome 3.8 this morning. 

KMyers

Anything noteworthy different from 3.6 to 3.8?
It is definately not something for every day use, it seems a bit buggy. Gnome 3.8 has not exactly hit the stable branch do this is expected. The newer features are tighter integration with Google Docs and some visual changes

Last edited by a moderator:

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
I'd also recommend Enlightenment.

It's very much designed with low-memory footprint in mind, as it's basically built to automatically scale to the available resources/tech level, and scale all the way down to cheap smartphone hardware etc. From their website:

"We have run and tested on x86-32, x86-64, Atom, Power-PC, ARM (ARM9, ARM11, Cortex-A8 and more), MIPS, Sparc, and many other architectures. The suggested minimum RAM required for a full Linux system + EFL application is 16MB, but you may be able to get by on 8MB. For full functionality 64MB or more is suggested. As little as a 200Mhz ARM core will provide sufficient processing power (depending on needs)."

amuck-landowner