amuck-landowner

BlueVM and the great labor rights of exploiting labor

concerto49

Verified Provider
Except someone is profiting from them. I'm not saying people shouldn't volunteer, I do. The difference is I would only ever volunteer for a non profit organisation.
You may or not be aware that a large amount of "non profit" organizations make huge profits with wealthy CEO etc.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
You may or not be aware that a large amount of "non profit" organizations make huge profits with wealthy CEO etc.
Like the NFL, the commissioner earns over $29m a year and since they are a nonprofit, they don't pay income tax.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
I get offers all of the time for people who want to volunteer at SD for free just to get the experience. Currently all 2 of us at SD are volunteers who put in at least 40 hours a week, but we don't mind because the money we could be getting paid is being used to build the company so we're happy going 3+ years without compensation because we're more concerned with building the company for the future than making money.
This is not even close to volunteer work though if you are 'building up a company' without pay

KuJoe

Verified Provider
This is not even close to volunteer work though if you are 'building up a company' without pay
I used the term "volunteer" in a sense that I was voluntarily putting in hours that I didn't need to. We learned last year that Secure Dragon could run on autopilot with minimal human intervention but it wouldn't evolve any (we'd still be growing client-wise, but that's it and that's not enough for us).

Last edited by a moderator:

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Like the NFL, the commissioner earns over $29m a year and since they are a nonprofit, they don't pay income tax.
The nonprofit might not, but the commish certainly pays full income tax on his $29 mil salary.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The nonprofit might not, but the commish certainly pays full income tax on his $29 mil salary.
You think he pays full income tax on that money, hahaha!  No he doesn't.... He doesn't sit in his bracket of pay vs. bracket... He gets to bracketing way after the deductions and structuring, like way way way after.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
He isn't staff from the last time I remember, I think he was like me, just a helper who kept things calm.

Mun

Ahh so you are a volunteer too Mun?  Did you sign the NDA and get to wear the robe?  I ahh, missed / overlooked your comment. :(

I swear I've seen you elsewhere claiming you weren't involved in BlueVM.... It was in an IRC chat from BlueVM actually with a disgruntled customer that heavily commented on a BlueVM offer.

This was the log:

http://www.cameronmunroe.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/chatlog.txt

"<Mun> you do realize I am a custmer <Mun> I run an email server, vpn, and 4 production proxy nodes on them <Mun> no issues"

Maybe back then you weren't the IRC liaison ninja for BlueVM.  What gives?

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner