amuck-landowner

BUDGETGEEK TELECOMS LIMITED / 32MB Club / Random Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadyus

Article Submitter
Under the guidelines, I would say his actual ban was over breaking "Do not spam"

I requested a "suspension of normal procedures" (parliamentary procedure (Robert's Rule of Order) anyone?) to address the situation with Matthew. 

The topic continued to be discussed and in the end we came to an unanimous decision to remove him.  
 I'm still slightly on the fence with it so as far as I am concerned it's on a trial basis
It may surprise some people to hear that I was the one not keen on a ban.
@HalfEatenPie

I don't see how you can say "we came to an unanimous decision to remove him" when one mod is "on the fence" and the other was "not keen on a ban". From the details taken from the posts above it looks like it was a 1/3 vote to me and unless I'm seeing things different Matthews last offer was on August 13 and his new one was on September 3rd so unless you've deleted his others offers I don't see how he was "Spamming"!

I'm in no way defending his actions, he was kid until what a couple weeks ago but come the fuck on, Is this how we treat all new people on the forum? Anyone that comes here needs to be of superior nature in the low end vps market..lol or they're treated as unequal?

If I was a lurker and saw this type of action you think I'm going to submit anything or help out with this forum with the way you treat new members competition? This truly sickens me to see someone treated like this, it was a constant bash fest from the beginning to the end.

Wow just wow........

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLinuxBug

@toadyus You obviously haven't been paying attention to the kids posts.  For the most part his original posts here made no sense and were basically him posting what he thought were land marks in whatever project he was working on at the time.  Seriously, garbage.  Many of us would go in the threads and try to decode them and give feed back.  Each time we did so the kid would ignore us and continue to do the same drivel.  

This also repeated its self in his offer threads and had to be told to stop making continuous updates like "I tied my shoes today", "I updated the server today", etc. (I am just fabricating examples, but the reality is it was a bunch of useless posts to keep his thread from sinking).  He was warned about doing this a few different times throughout his stay and each time ignored the moderators and continued to do the same (I know because, honestly, I was probably one of the people flagging them).

If I actually thought the kid had something to contribute here I would be all for unbanning him.  However, if the past dictates anything about the future we would just have more useless drivel posts about:

1. what he ate for lunch

2. what new package he installed on a server (and he's proud of him self)

3. complaining that he had his server terminated and refunded in poor grammar most likely because these same tactics he uses here he has probably tried with providers who have also decided they won't put up with his crap.

4. Other non-productive/unhelpful input/complaints in poor grammar

Hey, I am all for a second chance, but in that same breathe if he is given another chance here he better take it seriously and stop these immature antics.  I am all for being supportive of people who have learning challenges or need extra help understanding things, but there is also a line where if the person doesn't want to listen and consider the answers given as well as follow the forum rules that it becomes pointless to continue to beat your head against the wall trying to help them.

If you truly think he is innocent or the victim in all of this though, you really should put down the pipe your smoking and come back at this with a clear mind, because he is not innocent or a victim of anything but his own decisions.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

24/7/365

Verified Provider
I'm pretty new here. I don't often post much in drama threads because I prefer to avoid them.

A lot of these over at the LE* end up as childish bickering and end up making the entire industry looking childish.

One of the main reasons I joined here was because the tone was friendlier and everyone seemed to be helpful.

I really hope we don't descend into cliquey, protectionist, ego stroking anarchy. For that there's a wide variety of forums/IRC channels to join but as I say, I'm new here so what do I know?

mojeda

@HalfEatenPie

I don't see how you can say "we came to an unanimous decision to remove him" when one mod is "on the fence" and the other was "not keen on a ban". From the details taken from the posts above it looks like it was a 1/3 vote to me and unless I'm seeing things different Matthews last offer was on August 13 and his new one was on September 3rd so unless you've deleted his others offers I don't see how he was "Spamming"!

I'm in no way defending his actions, he was kid until what a couple weeks ago but come the fuck on, Is this how we treat all new people on the forum? Anyone that comes here needs to be of superior nature in the low end vps market..lol or they're treated as unequal?

If I was a lurker and saw this type of action you think I'm going to submit anything or help out with this forum with the way you treat new members competition? This truly sickens me to see someone treated like this, it was a constant bash fest from the beginning to the end.

Wow just wow........
If you're talking about mtw, he was by no means new to this community. He has been here for quite a while and many people attempted to assist him in his adventure and he kinda brushed it all off.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In Re Fran's comments:

I'll let this thread continue and continue with my work day.   But, I wanted to note that we should and must do better than those other sites.   Just because someone is ban prone elsewhere shouldn't mean their path here is more of that. Other sites as we know are rather random on bans, fail to document why people just disappear, etc.  They are far from being TRANSPARENT, and that's something I hope continues here - TRANSPARENCY (even if I don't like the outcomes I can respect the decisions under such).

"He's (perma?)banned from LET for instructing GVH_Jon on the best way to slice open
his wrists to make sure there wasn't a chance he'd try to use the same bullshit lie to get out of the frying pans."

I am indifferent about the suicide topic.  I believe in individual rights and free will, even when such conduct goes against the morale "majority" in a community or larger society.  Letting the amateurs and first timers go about self inflicted injury all wrong is cruel.   Failure isn't usually some come to the light experience either. Afterall, who am I to judge the pain of another and dictate they must continue.  One mans minor ache is another mans basis for lunacy.  Yet I still feel horrible when these events occur.

Grounds though to ban someone?  Maybe temporarily for not being the sort of conduct the ownership wants in such community.  But bigger picture almost always to shed any perceived liability by law later.  "We do not condone... we banned such person". Banning him temporarily for legal protectionism reasons, sure I buy that.

We ought to look at GVH_Jonny and how long he has been banned and consider letting him return.  I believe in second chances, I know most folks here feel the same.  The lingering as-is one-strike policy is troubling (absent such a person stealing, victimizing customers, engaging in conduct that is clearly illegal in society).

Now we must remember, at face value, mtwiscool is if anything disabled.   In my world, I'd consider him a functioning autistic.  He's prone to doing things that run afoul of norms.  He's prone to momentum outbursts or blips of naughty behavior.  His conduct has improved in passing months, regardless of who or what is influencing it.

I don't want to sound like a sissy wanker and the PC bullshit where some groups are given "special" rights.  At the same time I don't want some of us looking like bullies (another beat up social topic).

Moderation is an art form and a role I have zero interest in.  Very very hard to cram all the info one needs to know and not jump to rash conclusions, or waste all night researching the issue or issue severe penalties (because it's easy to bow to 4-5 complaints here and there).  So I am empathetic to extra attention and normal work of moderators.   Sorry if I came across as simply not caring initially.  I do and folks should know that.  These topic always are troubling to me.  To be impartial, fair, to represent the smallest member of the community at times like this or the biggest one pinched by some outlash...

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
We ought to look at GVH_Jonny and how long he has been banned and consider letting him return.  I believe in second chances, I know most folks here feel the same.
The diminutive Fabozo in training has been given about 20 chances over the past 2 years on various forums and has blown all of them.  Based on the thread on LET today nothing's changed (forcing people to upgrade to a "24/7 managed plan" that doesn't provide any real management and isn't really 24/7...not to mention that I doubt the incompetent staff over there is qualified to provide managed service to anyone...you pay your contractors peanuts you get monkeydung)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
dontmiss.png

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
@HalfEatenPie

Wow just wow........
I dont know what you want me to say. There was a poll in the admin area. I was the second person to vote in favor. The last person also voted in favor.

If 3/3 voted in favor, then I'm pretty sure thats unanimous.

Edit: several of his threads were merged and removed. So yes you on the public side would not bear the burdens of this issue.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
"First they came for"-meme?

3VXA208.png

First they came for @mtwiscool, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not brain-dead or stupid.

Note:

@drmike: I'm not suggesting you're brain-dead or stupid (we know that ain't so). So please don't think it was directed towards you, it certainly was not. I was just trying to do a Niemöller-meme; although I failed, because I was too lazy to even do the corresponding lines for the other "and then they came for"-blah-this-that-or-the-other parts.

Whether the decision to expunge @mtwiscool from vpsBoard was right or wrong I'll leave for the administration of vpsBoard to decide upon, but as you guys say: it's healthy to be able to discuss it, and in this case try to make a little "fun slip in". But I can say this, my blood pressure has been stabilised ever since his "vpsBoard-blog" was put out for cancellation. The doctor told me I can stop taking the "chill pills" for the moment: the levels are great  :lol: 

RLT

I must say I always considered him to be a troll. Actually I wondered if one of the LET uppity ups hadn't of put him up to it.

The ban saves me the trouble of putting him on the ignore list. Actually it saves me the trouble of figuring out how to do it. Lol

mikeyur

Verified Provider
He's (perma?)banned from LET for instructing GVH_Jon on the best way to slice open his wrists to make sure there wasn't a chance he'd try to use the same bullshit lie to get out of the frying pans.
Oh man.. I forgot how great that was. The problem with Jon is that he never takes the great advice people give him.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Kids these days.
In Jon's case (and a few other problematic child hosts), crappy parenting these days (exhibit A: the publicly posted suicide threat and police showing up at the door.  If it had been my kid he would have been spending a couple of weeks in the psychiatric ward getting much needed mental help and wouldn't have been posting on the Internet 2 hours later as if nothing had happened)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
In Jon's case (and a few other problematic child hosts), crappy parenting these days (exhibit A: the publicly posted suicide threat and police showing up at the door.  If it had been my kid he would have been spending a couple of weeks in the psychiatric ward getting much needed mental help and wouldn't have been posting on the Internet 2 hours later as if nothing had happened)
Yeah I gotta agree. It's an ongoing joke that most foreign comedians run with that parents don't beat their kids enough. I always get a kick out of it but when I saw crap like that I was in full agreement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CpKKQrhqkw

Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner