amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces free backups for all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans!

bdtech

Not right away. We're using rsync w/ hardlinking to chop down the overall space usage. We'll probably throw some extra layers of deduplication as things progress.

I did a round about way of explaining that, but since we're not tar.gz'ing peoples filesystems, offering a backup link isn't as easy as just piping it through.

I'll likely do something similar to amazon where it'll just email/contact you with a download link once it's ready.

Templates will be much easier since those will be a tar.gz.

Francisco
so you're choosing not to use compression or dedup?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
so you're choosing not to use compression or dedup?
Not in all deployments. NJ is a much smaller deployment so the plan right now is to just get a much bigger chassis (24 drives) and use part of it for customer VM's (for storage plans) and some for backups.

We're coding with hardlinks in mind but if ZFS proves to not demand 128GB of RAM just for the dedup tables, I'll consider it too.

The problem with ZFS is that even with an SSD for L2ARC, you still need a fairly decent amount of RAM for mapping.

Francisco

dano

Seriously, ZFS and dedup is super memory intensive -- with only 10tb raw, a 16gb/dual L5420 machine is miserable(maybe a few hundred free mbs). No dedup, and the machine has 6-7gb free most times.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Seriously, ZFS and dedup is super memory intensive -- with only 10tb raw, a 16gb/dual L5420 machine is miserable(maybe a few hundred free mbs). No dedup, and the machine has 6-7gb free most times.
Do you have an L2ARC SSD?

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'm seeking beta testers for those interested :)

You're welcome to login here to check it out:

URL: http://199.19.227.70/

LOGIN: testpony

PASSWORD: demo

Once in, head over to http://199.19.227.70/vserver/4/backups and poke around. You're welcome to set a password, "touch" some files and create/restore snapshots. Please don't create large dd's as this just chugs hard on this development server.

-----------------------

KNOWN BUGS

-----------------------

- The 'max snapshots' limit is not honoured at this time

- The 'snapshots used' counter isn't accurate at all (it's just stub data for now)

- The file count statistic isn't updated once completed

- The size statistic isn't updated once completed either

- New nightly backups aren't actually being created (the cron simply isn't setup, this is intentional)

- The 'characters' counter isn't working yet (again, more stub data)

I hope to have this merged over to production by this weekend with the top bugs, as well as any other bugs you list, being fixed by then.

This revision of stallion has quite a few quirk fixes as well as additional features (namely the 'status' information always being shown). There is still a memory accounting bug pending that will be addressed during roll out.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
This will be public come next week :)

I've got a very small list of bugs to still squash before I start nightly 'enable' blasts. It'll still take a few weeks for everyone to get enabled as I don't want to pound the poor backups node offline.

Francisco

mcmyhost

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Warning

Filename: vservercontrols/reinstall.php

Line Number: 82

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Notice

Filename: vservercontrols/reinstall.php

Line Number: 91

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
How'd I break reinstall?

I wonder if I had something from testing that i didn't copy properly.

Mind PM'ing me a screenshot? Don't post it on here for your own privacy.

Francisco

amuck-landowner