amuck-landowner

BuyVM ColoCrossing Bye Bye Hello Choopa Move Today!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In case you pay less attention to email than I do or just woke up from a two month coma...

BuyVM is offline in Buffalo, New York.   Fran and crew should be getting setup in New Jersey at Choopa / Reliablesite / whatever else they call themselves.  

ETA for being back online is 8PM Eastern.   20+ minutes from now.   Don't hold them to that though :)

This email is just a quick reminder that we will be leaving the Buffalo datacentre and physically moving all hardware over to Choopa in New Jersey. On Saturday, 09 November at 0900h EST (GMT-5) we will start preperations for bringing the gear offline. By 1000h we will have most of the hardware unracked, and loaded up to make the drive over to Choopa in New Jersey. Mapping software estimates this to be a 6-7 hour drive - to compensate for potential traffic and weather conditions, we're operating under the assumption that it's going to take 8-9 hours to make the drive to Choopa. This puts us at roughly 1800-1900h on arrival; racking the hardware back up and bringing the nodes online shouldn't take very long at all, as we're having the network prepped beforehand in Choopa to be ready for our arrival. In total, we're looking at a rough ETA of 2000h (8pm EST) before gear starts coming back online - in reality, it will likely be sooner than this as we're intentionally overestimating travel and rack time to anticipate any unforseen trouble.

We are also pulling all available NY stock for the remainder of the week - after some internal discussion, we decided it wouldn't be fair to have people sign up potentially unknowing of the move, and be caught by surprise by the downtime. Once we have everything setup and running smoothly in the new DC, I will refill east-cost stock.

There will be no changes to any assigned IPs for this move, DDoS-Filtered or regular. We own our IP space, and are simply re-racking with the same configuration. As an added bonus, this will decrease latency for the Filtered IPs, as Staminus will be less than a few ms away (as opposed to the current 20-30ms to Buffalo).

On behalf of everyone at Frantech/BuyVM, thank you for your support and patience! We look forward to being able to provide even better service for all of your hosting needs.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
They better have my backup DNS box up soon, I pay $1.25 per month for it, so for that price it's shocking I should be getting treated to any downtime :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"rough ETA of 2000h (8pm EST) before gear starts coming back online - in reality, it will likely be sooner than this as we're intentionally overestimating travel and rack time to anticipate any unforseen trouble."

Next major incident, let me write the whole timeline for you :)

Wonder how they are doing? A tad tardy :)   Meh, me, I don't care if it takes until 6AM.    Can't wait CHOOPA!

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I am just surprised they got everything out of CC without any hassle at all, or at least not that we know of.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Been quiet, but I've been mostly away from the machine today.

Any chatter on their IRC or elsewhere about successful handoff of gear and safe arrival in New Jersey?

johnlth93

Somehow my ovz in LV was down for about 12 minutes (1 hour ago)

Seem like that had nothing to do with this  ;)

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
but when can i buy one

They better have my backup DNS box up soon, I pay $1.25 per month for it, so for that price it's shocking I should be getting treated to any downtime :p
You are supposed to file an angry ticket enumerating the X thousands of dollars per hour you are losing due to downtime

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
You are supposed to file an angry ticket enumerating the X thousands of dollars per hour you are losing due to downtime
My advice would be to skip the "filing an angry ticket" step and instead go straight to the "posts threatening a lawsuit" step. :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Debian folks... Constant has a Debian mirror in the safe NJ facility... Vroom!

/etc/apt/sources

-----------------------

# Debian packages for stable

deb http://debian.mirror.constant.com/debian/ stable main contrib

# Uncomment the deb-src line if you want 'apt-get source'

# to work with most packages.

# deb-src http://debian.mirror.constant.com/debian/ stable main contrib

# Security updates for stable

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
I love this.

I can't tell you how much I hate my local mirror. Took me an hour to update a desktop version! (My internet is the local education network that peers directly with all the biggest peers here in Asia. The update size was about 200MB.)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
/etc/resolv.conf

------------------------------

nameserver 198.100.146.51 #ns2.qc.ca.dns.opennic.glue Eric Boucher - OQND.qc 10ms away Logs: No log at all.
nameserver 74.122.198.48    #ns6.il.us.dns.opennic.glue xoxide 20ms away Default bind logging; well-formed queries not logged.

bizzard

@drmike Thanks for the nearest OpenNIC DNS IP's.

I have two boxes, which were moved to the new DC and everything seems fine. The downtime was around 13 hours and since it was night here, no issues for me.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Debian folks... Constant has a Debian mirror in the safe NJ facility... Vroom!

/etc/apt/sources

-----------------------

# Debian packages for stable

deb http://debian.mirror.constant.com/debian/ stable main contrib

# Uncomment the deb-src line if you want 'apt-get source'

# to work with most packages.

# deb-src http://debian.mirror.constant.com/debian/ stable main contrib

# Security updates for stable

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
That should be part of the wiki - local mirrors are nice.

Zigara

Huge improvement for me. I was getting 45+ms latency to CC buffalo and I am only 2 hours away (Ontario) from Buffalo.

I am getting a steady 26~ms now with Choopa.

+1

amuck-landowner