amuck-landowner

CEO/Founder of CloudFlare thinks HTTPS is over UDP

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Doesn't really surprise me given what else we've seen out of Cloudflare... they are in many ways the scummiest of the anti-DDoS scum.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I understand that CEOs are supposed to be experts about everything but sometimes they aren't. I know, it sucks to hear.

I'm surprised his Harvard Business School degree didn't teach him basic networking protocols.

[/sarcasm]

Last edited by a moderator:

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Eh, he got it wrong but honestly it doesn't get me in a tizzy. People make mistakes, I know I for certain have made plenty of them. Just learn and move on.

For all the good CloudFlare has done (and seriously, they do some pretty cool stuff) I don't think it's worth it to bash them on such a small comment. 

dano

After reading the bio of Matt Price of Cloudflare, I'm seriously thinking his previous positions as Lawyer or Ski Instructor were more down his alley. In all honestly though, he really should know what he is talking about 100%, before he shoots off technical tweets for the world(that knows better) to laugh at.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
No no no, he's right! HTTPS stands for HyperText TCP Protocol (Secure) - the only mistake he made was that he should have referred to HTUPS: HyperText UDP Protocol (Secure).

On a related note, visit my website: htups://www.dstrout.net/

raidz

Eh, he got it wrong but honestly it doesn't get me in a tizzy. People make mistakes, I know I for certain have made plenty of them. Just learn and move on.

For all the good CloudFlare has done (and seriously, they do some pretty cool stuff) I don't think it's worth it to bash them on such a small comment. 
Luckily its just the CEO and not an engineer. People should expect CEO's to say stupid things like this.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Heheh, happens to the best of us.  Question is if he is typically making these sorts of off comments..

Dylan

Definitely referring to that.

1. Neel Mehta (the Google Security researcher who discovered Heartbleed in the first place) sends out that tweet.

2. One of the CloudFlare guys (Nick Sullivan) replies to it.

3. Matthew Prince sends out the tweet in the OP just a couple hours after Nick's reply.

It's kind of depressing how people are so eager to pile on about how someone is wrong and must not know anything because he's "just a CEO" without taking 30 seconds to look into things.

yomero

He is right if the software using TLS is also using UDP. For example, OpenVPN.

Anyway, I don't think you can find enough instances of UDP software to run a big attack.

maounique

I think a CEO must know basics about his products. However, he must not be judged on that, but on how well the company does, because, even if he does not know he can get around people that can give advice on the technical side.

In the end, CEO is about choosing the right people and giving the right instructions as well as securing resources for those instructions to be carried out in good conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner