amuck-landowner

ColoCrossing and vpsBoard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Feel free to challenge whatever and feel free not to read whatever.   Unsure why folks like you don't have an ignore filter on your eyeballs.    You can't stay out of the threads, you have to come chugging along, backing traffic up at the traffic accident.

This isn't preschool and it isn't mob rule either.  If I hurt your feelings and someone else did, tough, it isn't personal.  No harm meant.

As far as the ad spots and the money = extra pull, you can put me down for Anthony's 125x125 if he's not renewing it.  
ironic much?

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
While I support this idea, did you really just threaten to pull your ads? lolz.
Not a threat, to be honest I was thinking of doing it anyway due to the direction this place is taking but I would have never started a thread about it being generally British and polite so I jumped on KuJoe's band wagon instead :), some people live for provider bashing, there is a large swell of anti host venom starting to bubble under the surface in this place which is what started to make LEB/T annoying, it was not about progress or community it was about finding fault and making it stick, now LEB/T seems to be better than it was and I am simply saying that cannot be a coincidence.

I support curtis in setting this place up but for me personally it is starting to feel like a negative experience.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Well, Anthony, why not contribute in a positive manner?
Hey, I don't know what your issue is Martin, everything I have posted here outside this mad mans threads which you fully support it seems, has been completely positive, you seem to be all for the negativity too, allowing, promoting and joining in to it... when it serves you to do so obviously like missing PM's for offers you just don't like.

Well anyway with that sage advice from the admin I think that's my lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I have no problem, Anthony. However, you appear to be all gung-ho about stopping this madness yet you contribute when you can and stick your piece in every single thread. It's counter productive - "Hey, I hate these threads, why do we keep seeing them? I know, I'll post in said thread to tell people it's annoying me" - bump goes the thread.

I'm pretty sure you'll also find that I don't support those kind of threads which is why you never really see me posting in them in my capacity as a 'user'. If you would be so kind as to identify any posts where I have promoted this kind of behaviour I'll be sure to rectify them.

Lastly, if you've got an issue with how I've handled a PM or an offer thread... how about using your noggin and contacting me about it? Bringing up something like that in a thread like this.. well, you kind of prove my point, dontcha think? :)

clarity

While ColoCrossing has zero involvement with vpsBoard (to my knowledge), they are receiving a lot of attention here, about 50% of the attention they get at LowEndTalk.com (a site that they own), this is both saddening for those of us paying for advertisement and for those who visit this forum to get away from LowEndTalk. A lot of us migrated here to get away from this BS. While I understand this is a more open, uncensored forum compared to LET, this should not be the LET dumping ground. Hopefully things will change in the future but if this continues to be ColoCrossing territory then there will be a 125x125 ad spot available soon (not that it will have any impact since there are so many companies lined up to order one, but it doesn't seem fair that ColoCrossing benefit so much from this site while I have to pay for a fraction of the ad space they get for free).

Google: colocrossing site:vpsboard.com

About 494 results

Google: colocrossing site:lowendtalk.com

About 921 results
@KuJoe,

I have been thinking the same thing. I am obviously not a provider, but I do like to hang out here to learn new things. LET used to be that place, but it slowly became infected with a type of cancer that consumed it. vpsBoard started out great, but it appears to have already been infected as well. I have been debating deleting my account here because there is so much petty nonsense and drama that occurs on a daily basis. People just lose sight of who they really are on forums.

To reiterate what @KuJoe was trying to say here, there are 6 different topics about ColoCrossing in The Pub section, and they are silly topics. Their SSL was reissued! Who cares? Most people that are on this forum don't like ColoCrossing. There is no need to show us every mistake they make or problem that they have. We know! If you do some quick Google searches, you will see the same thing. The thing to note here is that the threads aren't going to stop anyone. Most people are driven by price, and ColoCrossing is cheap. The people that choose them might get burned, but I believe they are aware that it might happen before they sign up.

When I came to vpsBoard, I thought that this place was going to be different. It was full of the good people from LET that helped build that place up to what it was before Chief (Joel)/ColoCrossing took over. I feel that this has taken a pretty drastic turn for the worse here. We are not constructive anymore to people. We bicker all the time about silly stuff. Why can't we just all get along? I just want to learn stuff and share things that I figured out with people that might think that it is interesting. If this place isn't going to be that or can't, I will have to take my thoughts elsewhere. It will not be a big loss for the community, but I would rather spend my time in a positive place. I am too old to deal with middle school/high school stuff anymore.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well guys, I can have Buffalooed's posts and any other suppressed to a single massive, impossible to follow thread unless we can figure out some alternative. Open to suggestions on how to handle this. Never would have imagined there would be a call for this as I assumed these things were easy enough to avoid. But as I've mentioned in the past, this is your community as much as it is mine.

I understand where you're all coming from, though I figured an open platform to discuss almost anything without ruling with an iron fist outweighed the inconvenience of seeing things you didn't wish to see or grew tired of.

Ideas I've got include:

• Merge everything into a single, massive topic. This keeps the forum clean from posts but also ensures that there is a long, impossible to follow discussion that is disorganized and almost useless.
  • Create 'Industry Gossip' or 'Industry Watch' forum or sun-forum, hidden from the 'View New Content' feature so you have to physically drag your mouse over the link on the index to browse there. This would keep discussion free and not suppressed while providing an easier method of ignoring these threads as opposed to simply scrolling past them.
  • Post topics and contribute to discussion that is relevant to your interest and ignore those that are not. This serves as a method of diluting the 'undesirable' content some of you have mentioned while also increasing the quality of vpsBoard for others.

Any other ideas? Open to suggestions.

EDIT: Sorry if this came off as cranky, 4 hour sleep and still in bed right now.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
To be 100% honest, having all of the negative CC information in a single location will benefit more people than a lot of random threads scattered about.

The main reason for this whole thread is that CC was being injected into real threads that had zero to do with CC in the first place which was ruining the content. I do not care about CC in the slightest, I have no interest in what they do or what they sell after the LEB/LET fiasco. So when I go to read a thread about a news article regarding a hosting company I know little about, the last thing I want is to find out the thread is really an anti-CC thread in disguise.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
 So when I go to read a thread about a news article regarding a hosting company I know little about, the last thing I want is to find out the thread is really an anti-CC thread in disguise.
Which thread(s) in particular?

EDIT: The Iranian client thing?

blergh

Verified Provider
I suggest we have a fundraiser to help a certain person buy a shared hosting-plan and cc-conspiraciesandchemtrails.com.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Lots of responses to this thread but no one has answered my question on how they feel we should properly deal with this:

I understand where you're all coming from, though I figured an open platform to discuss almost anything without ruling with an iron fist outweighed the inconvenience of seeing things you didn't wish to see or grew tired of.

Ideas I've got include:

• Merge everything into a single, massive topic. This keeps the forum clean from posts but also ensures that there is a long, impossible to follow discussion that is disorganized and almost useless.
  • Create 'Industry Gossip' or 'Industry Watch' forum or sun-forum, hidden from the 'View New Content' feature so you have to physically drag your mouse over the link on the index to browse there. This would keep discussion free and not suppressed while providing an easier method of ignoring these threads as opposed to simply scrolling past them.
  • Post topics and contribute to discussion that is relevant to your interest and ignore those that are not. This serves as a method of diluting the 'undesirable' content some of you have mentioned while also increasing the quality of vpsBoard for others.

Any other ideas? Open to suggestions.
So how should we proceed from here?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"some people live for provider bashing"

I have a life outside of babysitting the provider(s) who are doing stupid and the illegal.  It's fine that you don't care, just ignore.  Perhaps we need an ignore feature on here, topically, socially and personally...  Have your filter BUBBLE of reality. 

I compliment companies that get it and deliver quality products and experiences.  Claiming otherwise is disingenuous.

"help a certain person buy a shared hosting-plan and cc-conspiraciesandchemtrails.com"

Not very funny nor "positive" contribution.  Your comments might make sense if there wasn't ample truth to what gets posted about the troubled company at hand.

"merge---  single, massive topic"

This was done in the past here and folks complained.  It's unusable solution and I probably wouldn't waste my time piling on that heap.

"Post topics and contribute to discussion that is relevant to your interest and ignore those that are not."

That's a great rule, and what I've been getting at somewhat.  Certainly receptive to some of the complaints and moderation moving threads as necessary if they feel they are misplaced (i.e. Industry News example).

'Industry Gossip' or 'Industry Watch' forum

I think those sorts of new forums would be a bandaid fix.  Unsure if they'll work, but I suspect it will be an improvement and a stop-gap measure to ease some of the "complaining".  I am all for visibility being not apparent in the New Topics and other sort spot areas people are getting their view of the site from normally.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
To be honest I stopped visiting for a while too, every time I came around I saw a CC related post at the top or the same one as last week and it was getting boring, quite a few people mentioned it over G Chat as the reason they do not visit here any more either.

Yes I know, ignore it and look for something else or start a new topic but the thing is the CC thread appears back up top or a new one appears.  At least that is the perception amongst quite a few I know and perception often over rules the truth in the majority of cases.

So whilst in the grand scheme of this forum and all it's much more varied threads the CC ones always stand out as they keep getting brought back into the light.

At least over at LET you don't need to see these kind of discussion because of the honest, open moderation  B)

I am still trying to actually decide what VPSBoard is and who it's audience is.  Seems more provider oriented that user, but I don't visit here often to really see if that is the case.

But anyway, I do enjoy Buffalooed's posts, not because of the drama but because they more often than not have believability to them, having information to back up the claim or suspicion that the usual "I think" type claims.

Having said that, speaking from my own experience of this site, listening to others on G Chat and seeing replies here it seems quite a few people have the same views.  Personally I think an 'Industry Watch' area would be a good idea, and you need to log in to see it rather than it being public.

Now that I have visited again in the last couple of days I see a lot of good content but unfortunately it's not what I see first.

Ok, package compiled I can stop killing time now. :D  

Lanarchy

I vote for

Create 'Industry Gossip' or 'Industry Watch' forum or sun-forum, hidden from the 'View New Content' feature so you have to physically drag your mouse over the link on the index to browse there. This would keep discussion free and not suppressed while providing an easier method of ignoring these threads as opposed to simply scrolling past them.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Lots of responses to this thread but no one has answered my question on how they feel we should properly deal with this:

So how should we proceed from here?
IMO - 'Sink' the existing threads, and give the benefit of the doubt that all of us that have been excessively taking the piss on CC are mature enough to realize that 1) the community is not benefitting from the posts, and 2) CC's in enough of a bind right now that they really don't need any more help ruining themselves.  Let's just chill, watch the show, and anything new/amusing can pretty easily be shared between interested parties with the handy "group PM" feature.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Group PM feature?  What is that?

I see the privatizing of more content on here and limiting threads to logged in areas being apparent new addons.

How about others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner