amuck-landowner

Colocrossing Buffalo now offering 100Gbps DDoS Protection

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So earlier tonight multiple sources on interesting Greenvaluehost email that went out.

The email is offering 100Gbps DDoS protection via Colocrossing's network in Buffalo, New York.

Anyone in the CC reseller downstream aware of such a feature on their network or plans for such?  Not saying this is the first I've caught of their intent to filter, but all others were tunneled services from filtering companies that were not CC themselves doing any filtering.

Posting the sales ad image below so folks see what was said, not as a promotion or endorsement of their filtering or services.

jSc30FI.png

Last edited by a moderator:

comXyz

I don't trust anything from GVH anymore.

BTW I think the DDOS protection come from Vox, not CC.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hypothetically, let's go down the Vox rabbit hole...

What does Vox want per month for 100Gbps of filtering?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Vox is $2500/month for a BGP GRE tunnel with a small commit on clean. Their filtering isn't 'always on' so there's always a small window where bleeds happen before scrubbing occurs.

Once a test IP is had you can just pull a BGP route on lg.he.net and see who's filtering it.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I don't believe the service exists, personally.

Anyone have a test IP or have used it? Seems like this weeks attempt at staying relevant more than anything else.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I don't believe the service exists, personally.

Anyone have a test IP or have used it? Seems like this weeks attempt at staying relevant more than anything else.
Oh it exists alright, but what the promo email didn't tell you is that the new DDoS protected IPs are a limited time offer limited to the first 254 lucky customers!  Use 43.245.196.108 as a test IP because all of the DDoS protected IPs will be in the extra special 43.245.196.0/24 block! None of the IPs in this list are blacklisted by Spamhaus, check for yourself http://bgp.he.net/ip/43.245.196.108#_rbl  Enjoy this exclusive offer while you can!

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Oh it exists alright, but what the promo email didn't tell you is that the new DDoS protected IPs are a limited time offer limited to the first 254 lucky customers!  Use 43.245.196.108 as a test IP because all of the DDoS protected IPs will be in the extra special 43.245.196.0/24 block! None of the IPs in this list are blacklisted by Spamhaus, check for yourself http://bgp.he.net/ip/43.245.196.108#_rbl  Enjoy this exclusive offer while you can!
Not sure why GVH would be getting the 43.x IP's when they aren't an APNIC provider. Plaza was paying for that space up until recently I think, but since they're closing they either got a partial refund from APNIC or whatever, hence whey they're in the unallocated pool i'm thinking.

When we were with CC they requested LOA's for every single subnet, even for ones that were covered by aggregated subnets in previous emails/etc. They were fairly strict on this, requiring signatures & it being emailed from the primary email of the ARIN handle.

Am I wrong?

Francisco

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Not sure why GVH would be getting the 43.x IP's when they aren't an APNIC provider. Plaza was paying for that space up until recently I think, but since they're closing they either got a partial refund from APNIC or whatever, hence whey they're in the unallocated pool i'm thinking.

When we were with CC they requested LOA's for every single subnet, even for ones that were covered by aggregated subnets in previous emails/etc. They were fairly strict on this, requiring signatures & it being emailed from the primary email of the ARIN handle.

Am I wrong?

Francisco
I was joking.about the IPs  :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So someone insisted to me that their filtering IS NOT VOX.

They are supposedly launching their own filtering platform.

Mind you their cohorts/partners at Servermania have had multiple brands boasting DDoS filtering and have used everything from CNServers hauling whole of North America to OVH I do believe.

GVH pushing it out the door and all is asking them to swallow the biggest... nevermind... they are going to eat a crap sandwich when people get wind of filtering.  Should be interesting.  Luckily I have lots of corn for popping.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
(As I collect a list of all CC hosts that offer or will this filtering and accept Bitcoin - time for some fun attack victim sites)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
They are supposedly launching their own filtering platform.
That's hilarious.  I suppose they think that all the time they spent trying to DDoS competitors (sorry Biloh, next time hire skids that won't sell you out) makes them experts on prevention and mitigation now as well.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well.. The filtering isn't being built in house.

It's purchased gear.

Supposedly it's already racked and live.

I probably know what it is ;)  But umm I am unclear if they have the big model that would fit 200Gbps... Problem is the platform supports like 32 million PPS... which is nothing big picture with attacks today.

Kris

That would be a RG-40... probably.

If they get chummy with their Cogent / XO reps and get 2x100 Gig drops plus what they already have could see it working. 

Remember once you get the equipment, you need to buy the 200 Gbps worth of BW drops that will hit the Riorey head-on. 

Could perhaps even give Buffalo some differentiation beyond... beyond good latency for Toronto? Will be interesting to see pan out. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
That would be a RG-40... probably.

If they get chummy with their Cogent / XO reps and get 2x100 Gig drops plus what they already have could see it working. 

Remember once you get the equipment, you need to buy the 200 Gbps worth of BW drops that will hit the Riorey head-on. 

Could perhaps even give Buffalo some differentiation beyond... beyond good latency for Toronto? Will be interesting to see pan out. 
:) 

I doubt they are affording RG-40 platform.   N+1 = 3 units and well, someone have a price point on the RG-40's?   I'd say 3 of them likely is going to run $250k+ with likely being higher.

Dropping 200Gbps of bandwidth on a filtering platform means they'd be trying to run everything through it.  32 million PPS isn't going to work.   So segmenting the filtering is only sane route to go.

I am speculating here, but their filtering gear will likely be 10Gbps device(s). Why?  Price, size of common bandwidth pipes, ability to segment that perhaps even with own BW drops.

There's a reason why most providers don't offer filtering / DDoS stuff and it's almost always due to the high cost.  That's the barrier at the door.  Once up and going the technical know how and all isn't some pedestrian thing, but most never make it that far.

amuck-landowner