ColoCrossing Datacenter in the Basement or in the Parking Garage?

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by drmike, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    So, ColoCrossing seems to be diversifying in Buffalo.  News the other day that they are getting more rack space from another provider in the same downtown large compound.  Seems like a hedge to me as they might have both fear of their current provider and perhaps limited on space in existing relationship.

CC is fleeing their suburban mall neighborhood and going in the dark gritty hood of the city.  Even supposedly moving their desk-based office to downtown.

As such, their just-opened new office building on Sheridan is up for lease on Loopnet:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18524773/8195-SHERIDAN-DRIVE-CLARENCE-NY/

$14/sq ft. per year @ 3500 sq. ft.

Then there is this, WTF....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
    GIANT_CRAB likes this.
  2. GIANT_CRAB

GIANT_CRAB New Member

May 21, 2013
    It looks okay but that pricing though. 

How old is the building?

3. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    It doesn't exist and the proposal is that it'd be built in the residential area next to their existing office from what I understand, pending approval from upset neighbors I am sure. The existing office was a house that was previously converted to their existing office space that is occupied by CC staff and CVPS Chris. This is 1/2 mile from the famous 'day care', which is just down a nearby street. Would be a 5-10 minute walk.

Either way, big proposal but I doubt it'll ever exist just because it's an a residential area. Buffalo is full of empty building, seems silly to build something new when you can buy one of the decrepit existing buildings and remodel for less, but then you'd not be as close to home.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  4. drmike

May 13, 2013
    Unsure what they did there - if they modified existing home or built new.

They just had grand opening there what? Last fall?

If you compare the Loopnet photo to the blueprint, do you get vaguely what they were/are planning?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  5. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    off topic for a few paragraphs because I just read an asinine comment by GVH on LET where he bragged his home based business is "massive"

Some perspective on the giants of the low end industry ColoCrossing compared to other players in the hosting and datacenter industry.

ColoCrossing said in a recent interview they expect revenues to grow to $12 million (OMFG!) in the fiscal year ending February 2015.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/04/11/data-company-seeking-sites-in-buffalo-as-business.html (<--article does tie in with this thread's topic of "CC expanding to a parking garage" because it mentions that they're looking for new office space)

By contrast Iliad Group (parent of Online.net and Iliad Datacenters, along with ISP Free.fr and other things) had revenues of €3.7 billion/$5.2 billion in 2013.

tl;dr ColoCrossing should be happy anyone on any forum even mentions their tiny suburban rent-space-in-someone-elses's-datacenter business and they should be really happy I'm even bothering to comment about them. :p

Anyways...$14/sq ft per year... extremely cheap office rental rates is probably the only thing the metropolitan Buffalo area has going for it.

drmike likes this.
  6. drmike

May 13, 2013
    What that site blueprint shows is the 3500 sq. foot existing CC new headquarters to have the following:

Grafted addon of over 2k sq. feet onto existing building.

New 30k 3 story build with one story below ground.

It also has another 60k sq. feet of office space that is to sit over a 2 story underground in part basement.

Over 90k square feet of build out.

The entire project is on 3 parcels of land owned by CC, that are residential currently and 3 single family homes.  Back behind the propery appropriately is a mall.  Unsure if it the plots legally are next to each other (CC's and the mall).

Unsure what the outcome of this largess plan is - was proposed and some hearings on the proposal last fall and maybe early this year.  The site plan as drawn showed one tiny road into the plan which would be clogged and source of mass traffic backups.   Reason likely enough for the locals to say no.

Clearly something happened that they are abandoning their new HQ's for the dirty city.  No one does a build out of a new HQs and abandons it in under a year.

Do the math:

90,000 square feet of building under roof @ $150 = $13.5 million... Add onto that all sorts of other build out costs.  This is a project north of $20 million, perhaps even higher with a DC in the basement.

7. qps

qps Active Member Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
  8. VPSCorey

VPSCorey New Member Verified Provider

Jul 10, 2013
    Datacenter greenfield deployments of that size are WAAAY more than 20 million. 

drmike likes this.
  9. GVH-Jon

GVH-Jon Banned

Apr 10, 2013
    There you go again taking my words and leaving things out. Shame on you, really, because I thought you'd be mature by now as an adult not to do things like that.

Look back at the thread. I said that we were massive compared to most other hosts. Are you blind?

10. Wintereise

Wintereise New Member

May 16, 2013
    Oh my god, does anyone really care?

notFound and MartinD like this.
  11. Virtovo

Virtovo New Member Verified Provider

Dec 19, 2013
    Not quite.

If you're going to act like an egotistical moron expect to be called out as such.

Aldryic C'boas and Epidrive like this.
  12. Epidrive

Epidrive New Member Verified Provider

May 16, 2013
    Look, if theres anyone to be immature its none other than you. Stop acting like a grown up professional, you wont get any respect from no one

13. GVH-Jon

GVH-Jon Banned

Apr 10, 2013
    If I should "stop acting like a grown up professional", you should stop acting like you actually have customers.

14. Epidrive

Epidrive New Member Verified Provider

May 16, 2013
    How can you brag about your customers that were all victims of your pathetic marketing bullshits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. GVH-Jon

GVH-Jon Banned

Apr 10, 2013
    What matters is that they're happy and they renew. The majority of our customers are happy and they do renew so therefore your opinion is irrelevant.

16. MartinD

MartinD Retired Staff Retired Staff Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    Soon enough, we'll start issuing gags to people that just want to cause drama. Some more than others it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.