amuck-landowner

Crissic has been acquired by Quadranet

lbft

someone eli5 why people are freaking out, i'm thoroughly confused.

Crissic offered ridiculous pricing. Now that Quadra bought it it's clear that pricing will be stopped at some point in the future, since the customers are worth less than the IPs they're using.

souen

Mostly speculation at this point from lack of details, right now it doesn't look like welcome news for Crissic customers.

• Customers not informed about acquisition, some only found out because website redirected to billing, came to forum to ask what happened. Crissic former owner mentioned email will be coming though.
  • No new customers being accepted under Crissic brand (possible sign that the brand is being dissolved, its founder confirms he now has a position at QN and no plans to return as hosting provider)
  • Existing Crissic customers offered the option of consolidating multiple VPS into a dedi with "competitive quote" (might be seen as possible move to migrate customers to their cloud or dedi line and free up some IPs)
  • Uncertainty as to how long Crissic plans or active services would last (assurance from Crissic former owner they will honour existing plans "at this time")
  • Hours later 1-2 members reported network problems with their VPS at one of the locations (possibly coincidence but people might assume it's related/migration already happening)

Last edited by a moderator:

XiNiX

Verified Provider
Crissic has been a great provider , actually one of the few, to have "stable" performance at low prices.

QN would deliver quality, But i doubt if they will keep the same pricing structure in future.

clarity

The only good thing for me is that 512MB special that I have with them is not due again until 7/4/2016. I am paying $15/year for 512MB of ram, 100GB of disk, and 2TB of bandwidth.

There is not way that QuadraNet will honor this past the next renewal. It forces me to find another provider, and I guess that is alright. The thing that irks me is that no customer has been told about it. I don't think that finding out on a forum is the correct way for one of your customers to be notified of a pretty big change.

zed

Mostly speculation at this point from lack of details, right now it doesn't look like welcome news for Crissic customers.

• Customers not informed about acquisition, some only found out because website redirected to billing, came to forum to ask what happened. Crissic former owner mentioned email will be coming though.
  • No new customers being accepted under Crissic brand (possible sign that the brand is being dissolved, its founder confirms he now has a position at QN and no plans to return as hosting provider)
  • Existing Crissic customers offered the option of consolidating multiple VPS into a dedi with "competitive quote" (might be seen as possible move to migrate customers to their cloud or dedi line and free up some IPs)
  • Uncertainty as to how long Crissic plans or active services would last (assurance from Crissic former owner they will honour existing plans "at this time")
  • Hours later 1-2 members reported network problems with their VPS at one of the locations (possibly coincidence but people might assume it's related/migration already happening)
Ah thanks friend.

All potential causes for concern I guess, but "I'm cancelling!" seems a bit hasty.

I'll hang onto my Crissic virtuals for now, do a bit of wait-and-see.

AuroraZero

The only good thing for me is that 512MB special that I have with them is not due again until 7/4/2016. I am paying $15/year for 512MB of ram, 100GB of disk, and 2TB of bandwidth.

There is not way that QuadraNet will honor this past the next renewal. It forces me to find another provider, and I guess that is alright. The thing that irks me is that no customer has been told about it. I don't think that finding out on a forum is the correct way for one of your customers to be notified of a pretty big change.

That is what made me angry in the first place. At least have the balls to come to the customer and let us know what is happening. I understand if you want out, I also understand if you have over extended yourself, but at least say so and do it the right way.

souen

I think the news would've gone down better if it was announce first then move (website, client portal, etc.) It gives people some time to decide if they need to take action, less people worrying if/when there will be downtime for the migration.

OT, had something similar happening with another brand last month, i.e. I only found out in the process of replying a support ticket and noticed some pages on the website had a different company name on them. Not angry, but it was slightly annoying with the ticket put on hold indefinitely in the meantime.

Good luck and well-wishes to both parties. Still hoping it'll work out for customers despite the shaky start.

danielm

I have one of the $15/year specials that for the most part doesn't get used. Haven't been sent any notice regarding this changeover. I'm doubtful that QN will allow customers on the $15/yr specials to renew.

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
And why would Quadranet honor that pricing anyway? $15/year isn't sustainable, and no offense intended, but you shouldn't expect the best service - customer service, notifications, server performance, or otherwise - on the planet when you're paying the equivalent of $1.25 per month for 512MB RAM, 100GB HDD, and 2TB of BW.

Tyler

And why would Quadranet honor that pricing anyway? $15/year isn't sustainable, and no offense intended, but you shouldn't expect the best service - customer service, notifications, server performance, or otherwise - on the planet when you're paying the equivalent of $1.25 per month for 512MB RAM, 100GB HDD, and 2TB of BW.

It's doable, but those services are most likely (highly) oversold in the RAM and HDD arenas.

MikeA

Verified Provider

I don't think they "expect" all of the things you listed, people get cheap servers when they don't need 100% reliable service and support. LIke the guy above said, his server didn't get used for the most part, but simply having a cheap server available when you need to do something (occasional private VPN, file transfers, testing applications, etc.) is always nice -- That's why there's lots of dirt cheap OpenVZ providers out there.

Yeah, I doubt Quadranet will honor renewals, but there's plenty of other companies people can go to regardless to get the same price and have fair quality service, it's all about quantity.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
They aren't going to honor renewals at rates people paid.  If they were happy with the pricing and intending on running Crissic, they'd be selling more of it.

Actions there say where their interests are.  No site + no sales + shedding customers = ?.

They've already said -- they want people to convert to their much pricier Quadranet 'cloud' or to buy dedicated server (in case where people had multiple VPS instances).  Uptake conversion on that is going to be really slim. Lots of customers won't want to deal with Quadranet, or they would have bought from Quadranet in the first place.  That's the problem with acquisitions in the cheap niche, people buy from owners.  Their decisions are often based strongly on personal knowledge and behavior of the owner/manager in public. 

Face it, QN doesn't want mobs of angry customers, masses of chargebacks and people wanting refunds.   Going to happen.  

So why do what they are doing?  Simple, they are doing what nearly every other lowend buyout does, I take your company, I sort things out quickly, I pay you in installments with your own revenue.  The revenue even in decline pays for the deal and essentially a few more months of income and you as buyer got everything for free.  Toss in some assets of value with it (what would those be), and it's idiot proof.  All while shedding the customers even.

Someone sent me a message about a refund request within Crissic's refund window per the terms when bought and Quadranet is NOT adhering to those terms.  Refusing to refund the person.  Seems like wrong direction.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
... and over on Lowendtalk, someone asked about credit they had on hand with Crissic $70 worth...  Not getting a payout or cashout.  Free to use as credit at Crissic is the story for those folks.

trewq

Verified Provider
I don't really understand why everyone is hurt about not being told. You are a customer of a company, you always have been. If the shareholders change it's really none of your business, you are a customer of a company not a single person. Nothing has changed from your point of view.

It's like complaining that your local grocery store changed shareholders, why would you care? You can still buy your groceries. They are there to make money, not screw you over.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I don't really understand why everyone is hurt about not being told. You are a customer of a company, you always have been. If the shareholders change it's really none of your business, you are a customer of a company not a single person. Nothing has changed from your point of view.

It's like complaining that your local grocery store changed shareholders, why would you care? You can still buy your groceries. They are there to make money, not screw you over.

Well this isn't the grocery biz.

People buy brands when they buy at grocer.  They expect Charmin toilet paper, not some randomness in a package pretending to be Charmin.   Have Crissic, but Quadranet answering tickets.

Customers at Crissic as far as I know still are in the fog unaware, unless they read these forums.

My problem with any such deal is, go to their site, see anything that says who owns what?  No, it's to the cart / customer area.  It's not transparent whatsoever.  They have staff, they had pre-game planning time, they have resources.  So hard to announce it on Crissic site and so hard to inform the valued customers.... Much work.

Yes A+ on announcing it public sort of (via online forums).  Yes A+ on stopping orders so new customers aren't mislead.

Why should customers know?  Because it's a personal service style business. People buy in niche from humans they identify with.  From brands developed by humans who purport to try, know, etc.

If my massage person was bought out by MEGA MASSAGE INC. and some random fruitbar came to service "the account", I'd say no thanks and GTFO.  I'd call the owner/worker I knew and chew an ear off.

Fact is these are small businesses, and with such is humanity.  I see deals like this and I see humans forgotten about.  Without those customers, Crissic would have been a one box wonder. Without Skylar's effort, personality, etc. there would be no Crissic. Without his tireless workers keeping the place running and doing support, there would be no Crissic. Yeah people bought price in a big way, but did so from a guy and a company they placed personal faith in.

Hosting is a personal thing, about time people realize that and admit it.  Entrusting personal details, data, etc. with your host.  This is something the lowend crowd actually gets mostly (not saying they choose the best folks always).

trewq

Verified Provider

Well this isn't the grocery biz.

People buy brands when they buy at grocer.  They expect Charmin toilet paper, not some randomness in a package pretending to be Charmin.   Have Crissic, but Quadranet answering tickets.

Customers at Crissic as far as I know still are in the fog unaware, unless they read these forums.

My problem with any such deal is, go to their site, see anything that says who owns what?  No, it's to the cart / customer area.  It's not transparent whatsoever.  They have staff, they had pre-game planning time, they have resources.  So hard to announce it on Crissic site and so hard to inform the valued customers.... Much work.

Yes A+ on announcing it public sort of (via online forums).  Yes A+ on stopping orders so new customers aren't mislead.

Why should customers know?  Because it's a personal service style business. People buy in niche from humans they identify with.  From brands developed by humans who purport to try, know, etc.

If my massage person was bought out by MEGA MASSAGE INC. and some random fruitbar came to service "the account", I'd say no thanks and GTFO.  I'd call the owner/worker I knew and chew an ear off.

Fact is these are small businesses, and with such is humanity.  I see deals like this and I see humans forgotten about.  Without those customers, Crissic would have been a one box wonder. Without Skylar's effort, personality, etc. there would be no Crissic. Without his tireless workers keeping the place running and doing support, there would be no Crissic. Yeah people bought price in a big way, but did so from a guy and a company they placed personal faith in.

Hosting is a personal thing, about time people realize that and admit it.  Entrusting personal details, data, etc. with your host.  This is something the lowend crowd actually gets mostly (not saying they choose the best folks always).
Ok, I agree that a lot of people buy because of the owner. I guess that's just something I don't fully understand. When I see an LLC or a Pty Ltd company I couldn't care less who owns it as long as they hold their end of the sales contract.

Different people want different things, I totally get that. If you don't agree with what has happened then buy all means use your rights as a consumer to change provides however people need to stop suggesting that illegal or unethical actions have taken place. Businesses sell all the time.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
As somebody with 2 Crissic VPSs (check out the awesome performance reports here: http://status.jgz.pw/) I haven't heard anything about this sale. Hopefully with QuadraNet at the helm I don't have to do the "overloaded node shuffle" (at least the disk write speeds for my LA VPS with them is in the megabytes again, wish my Jacksonville VPS would by faster than a USB 2.0 drive though.

amuck-landowner