amuck-landowner

Crissic has been acquired by Quadranet

AndrewM

As somebody with 2 Crissic VPSs (check out the awesome performance reports here: http://status.jgz.pw/) I haven't heard anything about this sale. Hopefully with QuadraNet at the helm I don't have to do the "overloaded node shuffle" (at least the disk write speeds for my LA VPS with them is in the megabytes again, wish my Jacksonville VPS would by faster than a USB 2.0 drive though.

Hi KuJoe,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your service at Crissic. With the recent transition to QuadraNet; we are committed to offering a superior service and ensuring quality of the services provided. 

If you could submit a ticket expressing your concerns and performance problems then we will be happy to investigate any issues and correct the problem.

Thanks,

Andrew M.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
As somebody with 2 Crissic VPSs (check out the awesome performance reports here: http://status.jgz.pw/) I haven't heard anything about this sale. Hopefully with QuadraNet at the helm I don't have to do the "overloaded node shuffle" (at least the disk write speeds for my LA VPS with them is in the megabytes again, wish my Jacksonville VPS would by faster than a USB 2.0 drive though.

Hi KuJoe,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your service at Crissic. With the recent transition to QuadraNet; we are committed to offering a superior service and ensuring quality of the services provided. 

If you could submit a ticket expressing your concerns and performance problems then we will be happy to investigate any issues and correct the problem.

Thanks,

Andrew M.
No need, I have plenty of servers/VPSs with QuadraNet and GoRACK and I was planning on cancelling these two next time they are up for renewal.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
 Hopefully with QuadraNet at the helm I don't have to do the "overloaded node shuffle" 

If you do need to do it, "Kevin Hillstrand" of Quadranet is a master of having customers do the overloaded node shuffle from his days at CVPS...

When a provider suggests doing the overloaded node shuffle, customers should immediately start looking for a new provider who knows how to manage his servers because any improvement in performance from switching to a new node will only be temporary and within a few weeks or months the new node will be experiencing the same problems.

People really need to start figuring in the value of the time they waste dealing with problems with some of these low end craproviders because when you add in the value of the time wasted and lost productivity, the total cost is usually far greater than if you had just gone with a reliable provider.

Quote said:
You are a customer of a company, you always have been. If the shareholders change it's really none of your business, you are a customer of a company not a single person. Nothing has changed from your point of view.
yesterday and today: customer is using a brand called "Crissic" but yesterday the brand "Crissic" was owned by company/legal entity "Crissic Solutions LLC" of Missouri, and today the brand "Crissic" is owned by company/legal entity "QuadraNet, Inc" of California.

(pretending that I'm a customer, which I'm not) From my point of view , the brand name is the same but both the company (legal entity) that I have a contract with and the legal venue/jurisdiction where any court cases will be heard have changed so yes it is necessary for me to know the name of the new owner / legal entity that now owns the contract.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Quote said:
Thanks for this.  Again, I love the tool you created.

LAX:

IOWRITE 15.3 MB/sIOPS 66WAN 2.03MB/s
JAX:

IOWRITE: 5.6 MB/sIOPS 2WAN 5.10MB/s 
Pretty bad when WAN out across the internet  is outperforming local disk.  Clearly abuse going on.   Was this performance always this abysmal?

Quote said:
People really need to start figuring in the value of the time they waste dealing with problems with some of these low end craproviders because when you add in the value of the time wasted and lost productivity, the total cost is usually far greater than if you had just gone with a reliable provider.
Really really really hard to substantiate who is good provider and who is just having a bad day on any given day as a provider.

Clearly some of us could code a solution to babysit the numbers and over time both aggregate data as well as trend map it.    It's ahh incomplete as no idea of what node one is on and if it is an isolated issue or just power overloading practices in a shop.

I can't honestly say who except for a single handful isn't a craprovider.  Being generous, maybe two handfuls.  Meh I raise it to three.  It isn't many. Tens of thousands of providers all said and dozens or less that aren't facepalm and head bang bad.

Problem is come next week crap happens.  So much volatility in hosting businesses and many are solely held together by one or two people on top of things.  When a guy leaves a shop too often things go to garbage.  When a guys aunt gets sick a place goes to crap.  When a guy finally gets laid a place often goes to crap.   None of these are things customers can foresee, forecast or steer clear of.  The answer isn't to go run to big business either, they are just as bad and very similar antics.

Three months from now lots of shops will be in various ways performing differently than today.  It's endless cat and mouse game and hard to be buying good even when paying good attention.

time wasted and lost productivity

#1 reason to buy very selectively and be unapologetic when experience stinks.

clownjugglar

I have 2 of the $15 specials too (one for me, one for my brother under his name). I will be cancelling too, mostly due to performance issues in general. The first VPS I was on was garbage, but they moved me and it's been 'ok' since there... for $15/year it was ok. I mainly used it for SSH tunneling to route around Verizon and/or Hetzner's terrible peering, but it was hit or miss. Also still don't have any e-mail notice about the changes/buyout.

Anyway, I guess it's finally time to pony up a bit more cash and go back to ramnode, or try out securedragon from KuJoe (but bandwidth there seems expensive). Already have a BuyVM so I kind of want to spread out this time and not keep all my eggs in one or two baskets.

willie

I've had one of the $15 JAX servers (512mb ram, 100gb disk) for the past year and it's been fine.  I don't know what to make of KuJoe's benchmark.  Probably these servers (like most any, especially with HDD's) have times of congestion.  I do notice if I let the server idle for a few days then the file cache drains, so something like "du -a|wc" takes a little while the first time I do it.  I use the vps mostly for storage and file transfers and small tests when I need a 32 bit server, so I don't know about memory overselling, but for the stuff I run the cpu has been fine, the network has been great, and the price for that much disk space (I'm actually using most of it) can't be beat in small VPS.  I'm regretting not having gotten another one, which I almost did a few months ago.

According to the LET thread, Quadranet won't sell new Crissic services but will allow existing services to be renewed at the same prices, so I'm certainly going to renew this VPS.  I'd expect most of the Crissic IP's are currently assigned to existing customers so it's not clear to me how many Quadranet will actually be able to use, especially if the renewal rate is high.  I guess they know what they're doing, though.

willie

If anyone cares, I just got a bulk email from Ilan Mishan (Quadranet CEO) about the acquisition... says about the same stuff we already know here.  Key graf is:

Code:
First and foremost, I'd like to assure you that QuadraNet has no plans to change the excellent pricing and services offered to you by Crissic. That said, at least while the transition is underway, QuadraNet has elected to discontinue sales and marketing for the brand.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If anyone cares, I just got a bulk email from Ilan Mishan (Quadranet CEO) about the acquisition... says about the same stuff we already know here.  Key graf is:

First and foremost, I'd like to assure you that QuadraNet has no plans to change the excellent pricing and services offered to you by Crissic. That said, at least while the transition is underway, QuadraNet has elected to discontinue sales and marketing for the brand.

The key part is where you got welcomed to the family in that email, the Quadranet family.  (yeah it's in there)

Quote said:
My name is Ilan Mishan – CEO of QuadraNet Inc. I am sending you this e-mail to welcome you to the QuadraNet family. QuadraNet is now operating the Crissic brand with the extensive resources at our disposal.
People are going to hate, but when a company buys stuff and SAYS --- GNOM GNOM IT'S JUST BIDNESS on forums, then comes all friendly in email to customers with the family shit .. ahh yeah... 

TheFamilyofferquote.jpg

Family, yo.  Your family, your wallet, your bag of bullshit. Nothing to do with family or humans.  It's business, so quit fucking pretending.

dave

I've got 2 Crissic VPSs (Florida & Los Angeles) that I use a lot.  Do you think they'll allow existing customers to renew services at the same prices?  Does anybody have a service expiring soon that they'll be trying to renew?

My next renewal doesn't come until March and the other one I just renewed last month for another year.

Quadranet is a big enough outfit that I think they could continue the service if they wanted to, but not sure what their true intentions are at this point.

Like when the company you're working for gets acquired and they say nothing will change, everything is staying the same.  And then everything changes, of course.

willie

I've got 2 Crissic VPSs (Florida & Los Angeles) that I use a lot.  Do you think they'll allow existing customers to renew services at the same prices?  Does anybody have a service expiring soon that they'll be trying to renew?

They have said explicitly that they will renew existing services at the same prices (see above) but it looks like they won't sell any new services at those prices.  I have a Crissic $15/y VPS coming up for renewal next month so we'll see.

Gary

Mine just went down... Hope this isn't the start of things to come. Performance was never great, but it was stable at least.

Edit: just noticed I have an email regarding maintenance. I assume this is it, but I can't actually read any more than the header because my email runs on that VPS...

Edit 2: They're moving us to Miami. https://my.crissic.net/announcements.php?id=77

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Wait, they're migrating your VPS and I assume the other customers to a new location with no notice?

Gary

Nah, I got the email 4 days ago but didn't even notice. Fairly short notice but it's my bad for not spotting it. At least they told us 4 days before the event, and not 2 days after like with the email about them having been bought by Quadra...

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I see. Still short notice but at least it was advanced. The way it sounded originally was that they migrated without notice and then sent the email as explanation of the downtime.

Where was your VPS located originally? Is Miami going to be acceptable for you?

Gary

It was originally Jacksonville. I probably won't notice any difference to be honest. It hosts email for a few of my domains and a few other things. Nothing particularly latency-sensitive or heavy in terms of bandwidth or cpu.

amuck-landowner