amuck-landowner

Crossbar - Resistive Ram

atho

I'm sure there are some that have not seen this yet, what does everyone think of it.

Working Array Validates Manufacturability and Simplicity of Crossbar Resistive RAM
  • Highest Capacity: Up to 1 Terabyte (TB) of Storage on a Single Chip; Multiple Terabytes with 3D Stacking
  • Lowest Power: Extends Battery Life to Weeks, Months or Years
  • Highest Performance: 20x Faster Write than NAND
  • Easiest SOC Integration: Simple Stacking on Logic in Standard CMOS at Most Advanced Nodes
  • Most Reliable: 10x the Endurance of NAND; Approaching DRAM Reliability
http://www.crossbar-inc.com/events/press-releases/crossbar-emerges-from-stealth-mode.html

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Looks *very* interesting.

I see faster writes, wondering how the read speeds are.

Current ceiling of 1TB is a rather low maximum.  Hopefully they can increase that. 

Looking for some tangible view of a said device even prototype.  Form factor from the teaser leads you to believe this is going to be mighty compact also.

Slownode

Sounds like the perfect hybrid storage module.

HDDS for permanent storage and a battery backup RRAM drive.

Slownode

That's max 1TB per chip, I suppose it would be possible to combine multiple chips in one device :).
Ya and perhaps ECC storage too.

I don't get how RAM costs so much more than flash memory... isn't DRAM only 2x the size of nand flash?

concerto49

Verified Provider
Ya and perhaps ECC storage too.

I don't get how RAM costs so much more than flash memory... isn't DRAM only 2x the size of nand flash?
RAM is a lot faster and a lot more durable. You do write to run many more times than Flash. If you compare it that way, cost is about the same.

amuck-landowner