amuck-landowner

Daily Server Deals has launched!

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Another issue: it should be possible to type in a manual entry for the datacenter.  For example, half the datacenters I use are not listed.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Another issue: it should be possible to type in a manual entry for the datacenter.  For example, half the datacenters I use are not listed.
For those, I can add them manually for you for now. Feel free to PM me the datacenters or you can add them here. :)

Novacha

Content Contributer
EDIS offers LXC/Linux-VServer.

See also, http://linux-vserver.org/VServer_Hosting
I will have a look through that page when I have the time. I will probably add LXC to the list.

That leaves the system open to abuse, since providers could add datacenters that already exist because they are too lazy to find it in the list  ;) . If you can PM me or post the list of datacenters you want added, I would be happy to add them!

datarealm

Verified Provider
Thanks for adding an option for Xen.

Could you also add "Hourly" to the billing options?

Great work so far!!

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I will have a look through that page when I have the time. I will probably add LXC to the list.

That leaves the system open to abuse, since providers could add datacenters that already exist because they are too lazy to find it in the list  ;) . If you can PM me or post the list of datacenters you want added, I would be happy to add them!
Telx, Steadfast, Telehouse and Enzu are the ones I am seeing as missing.

threz

Would be nice to see an expiration date field. I'm sure not all of these deals are permanent, so it would be informative to reflect that right on the offers page. I hate coming across old deals and not knowing if they're still valid or not. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Would be nice to see an expiration date field. I'm sure not all of these deals are permanent, so it would be informative to reflect that right on the offers page. I hate coming across old deals and not knowing if they're still valid or not. 
Providers can mark their deals as Inactive :)

Novacha

Content Contributer

Thanks for adding an option for Xen.

Could you also add "Hourly" to the billing options?

Great work so far!!
Would both of you be able to post the feature requests on the Github page? It would make managing milestones much easier.

I would not be too adverse to adding an expire at date with a countdown for automatic marking of inactive offers.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Novacha has added some great new updates recently, including switching to PostgreSQL, some security related updates, and some changes on how offers are posted. Now you can use the markdown syntax when creating a new offer, with a live preview of your offer available as you type it. This way you can ensure your offer looks how you want it to look before submitting it.

You'll also note that the locations you offer services from our now displayed as checkboxes, as opposed to dropdown boxes prior. This allows for much faster posting of offers, as you won't have to submit the same offer multiple times for it to be displayed as available in each different location.

Please see the screenshot below for an updated view of an offer being posted:

ywklM6s.png

Did I miss anything Novacha? :)

Novacha

Content Contributer
Novacha has added some great new updates recently, including switching to PostgreSQL, some security related updates, and some changes on how offers are posted. Now you can use the markdown syntax when creating a new offer, with a live preview of your offer available as you type it. This way you can ensure your offer looks how you want it to look before submitting it.

You'll also note that the locations you offer services from our now displayed as checkboxes, as opposed to dropdown boxes prior. This allows for much faster posting of offers, as you won't have to submit the same offer multiple times for it to be displayed as available in each different location.

Please see the screenshot below for an updated view of an offer being posted:

ywklM6s.png

Did I miss anything Novacha? :)
You pretty much nailed the front-end stuff there. There have been some huge backend changes and the site should generally be faster (we now use caching). 

SrsX

Banned

This is where it gets easy - in the database make the datacenter name a UNIQUE value, therefore it prevents double submission and before adding to database check if datacenter with similar name exists, if so reject, otherwise accept.

joepie91

This is where it gets easy - in the database make the datacenter name a UNIQUE value, therefore it prevents double submission and before adding to database check if datacenter with similar name exists, if so reject, otherwise accept.
Clearly, it's impossible for two different datacenters to exist, that share a name.

Novacha

Content Contributer
Providers request a datacenter to be added, and an admin adds it? I fail to see the issue here. This prevents abuse of the system and numerous other issues with similar datacenter names. Should you feel the urgent need for improvement, please submit a pull request.

In the future when communicating with others, please try to be less condescending. Writing "This is where it gets easy" before a post will rarely gain you the admiration that you so desperately crave, especially when you follow with a solution that is neither easy (detecting similar names without false positives), nor viable to implement. I am more than happy to take requests, criticism and ideas (and have done so many times during the creation and maintenance of DSD) from people who are respectful and kind, but do not have much time for people with your attitude.

SrsX

Banned
Providers request a datacenter to be added, and an admin adds it? I fail to see the issue here. This prevents abuse of the system and numerous other issues with similar datacenter names. Should you feel the urgent need for improvement, please submit a pull request.

In the future when communicating with others, please try to be less condescending. Writing "This is where it gets easy" before a post will rarely gain you the admiration that you so desperately crave, especially when you follow with a solution that is neither easy (detecting similar names without false positives), nor viable to implement. I am more than happy to take requests, criticism and ideas (and have done so many times during the creation and maintenance of DSD) from people who are respectful and kind, but do not have much time for people with your attitude.
You're stating I have attitude because I believe there is an easy solution for this?

I think you need to re-read what I wrote, it has no "attitude" in there at all.

Novacha

Content Contributer
You're stating I have attitude because I believe there is an easy solution for this?

I think you need to re-read what I wrote, it has no "attitude" in there at all.
As I have stated above, your solution is, in my opinion, neither an easy one to implement, nor a viable one to implement. As a matter of fact, I would go as far as saying it is not a solution at all. The number of datacenters I have had to add in the past month have been 0, as we pretty much have most of them covered. I can tell that you quite strongly believe that this is an easy solution and I would strongly encourage you to submit a pull request with this implemented.

This will be my last communication in regards to this matter, as it is neither an issue or a request.

Very nice upgrades. The live preview is great.  :)
Thanks. There is a good amount of multi-threading tech behind the markdown rendering, so it should be pretty speedy (especially on the client side).

amuck-landowner