amuck-landowner

Daily Server Deals has launched!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
You're stating I have attitude because I believe there is an easy solution for this?

I think you need to re-read what I wrote, it has no "attitude" in there at all.
I'm not really one to judge or talk here, but I feel like this suggestion is one that's technically "easy" on paper and much more difficult to apply in real life.

For example, some people can name their datacenter as Incero, another individual can label it as Incero, LLC.  By your method (if I'm reading it correctly) leaves it open for multiple "Incero"s while Novacha's method is much simpler and prevents these multiple "datacenter spam".  In addition, it's a possibility whoever's submitting the offers may try to look like they're the only individual in that datecenter and might purposefully do this.  

You might say "well, then have it look at for similar characters/series of characters then categorize it based off of that".  Well, while this may work "roughly", I'd rather not bet my cards on it working all the time and either way then the problem gets a bit more difficult.  

I believe Novacha was thinking a bit further ahead and was observing what the possible issues could be while you (SrsX) might have been thinking it was a simple change in a few lines of code.  

Therefore, the simplest way to minimize this issue is to manually add/remove datacenters in order to avoid the "clusterfuck" of having to moderate specific categories, move it over, etc.  

Be excellent to each other please :)  Also Novacha, this is getting better and better now.  Great job!   

SrsX

Banned
I'm not really one to judge or talk here, but I feel like this suggestion is one that's technically "easy" on paper and much more difficult to apply in real life.

For example, some people can name their datacenter as Incero, another individual can label it as Incero, LLC.  By your method (if I'm reading it correctly) leaves it open for multiple "Incero"s while Novacha's method is much simpler and prevents these multiple "datacenter spam".  In addition, it's a possibility whoever's submitting the offers may try to look like they're the only individual in that datecenter and might purposefully do this.  

You might say "well, then have it look at for similar characters/series of characters then categorize it based off of that".  Well, while this may work "roughly", I'd rather not bet my cards on it working all the time and either way then the problem gets a bit more difficult.  

I believe Novacha was thinking a bit further ahead and was observing what the possible issues could be while you (SrsX) might have been thinking it was a simple change in a few lines of code.  

Therefore, the simplest way to minimize this issue is to manually add/remove datacenters in order to avoid the "clusterfuck" of having to moderate specific categories, move it over, etc.  

Be excellent to each other please :)  Also Novacha, this is getting better and better now.  Great job!   
OK...

<?php

$datacenters = array("Incero");

function addDatacenter($dcname) {

foreach($datacenters as $dcin) {

if(stristr($dcname, $dcin)) { echo 'That datacenter already exists!'; return false; } else { /* Run code to add datacenter... */ }

}

}

?>

Boy, that took me like, a whole 60 seconds.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
OK...

<?php

if(stristr($dcname, $dcin)) { echo 'That datacenter already exists!'; return false; } else { /* Run code to add datacenter... */ }

}

}

?>

I apologize but did you read my post?

People could write "Incero" or "Incero, LLC" (for example) and your method would create two separate entries because it'd fail to catch that.

Last edited by a moderator:

SrsX

Banned
I apologize but did you read my post?

People could write "Incero" or "Incero, LLC" (for example) and your method would create two separate entries because it'd fail to catch that.
Do you even know what stristr does? If string contains string (NON-CASE-SENSITIVE)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Do you even know what stristr does? If string contains string (NON-CASE-SENSITIVE)
Alright I will admit I didn't know what stristr did. I also did skim over the code and basically made assumptions. My apologies for that.

Is there a similar function in python?

SrsX

Banned
Alright I will admit I didn't know what stristr did. I also did skim over the code and basically made assumptions. My apologies for that.

Probably could use a variant of this

if "dcnamehere" not in datastring: continue

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Phyton magic "in":

if "datacemter" in dataCenterString: print('datacenter known')

Can be done for the list too:

Code:
dclist = ['dc1', 'dc2', 'dc22', 'dc3']
print filter(lambda x: 'dc2' in x,dclist)

zzrok

OK...

<?php

}

}

?>

Ok, wise-guy.  What happens when $dcname = 'Incero, LLC'?  'Incero, LLC' isn't a substring of 'Incero'.  Now get off my lawn.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
So much negativity.

The way it is now is good. That way providers aren't just listing themselves as a datacenter because they have a 1/4th rack somewhere and consider themselves a DC.

SrsX

Banned
Ok, wise-guy.  What happens when $dcname = 'Incero, LLC'?  'Incero, LLC' isn't a substring of 'Incero'.  Now get off my lawn.
I don't feel like getting into a pissing war, so read what I told HalfEatenPie about case insensitive checking.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
As a provider, I have no problem messaging MannDude to add a DC. It's always added well before my offer would ever get listed anyways so no harm waiting.

Novacha

Content Contributer
I don't feel like getting into a pissing war, so read what I told HalfEatenPie about case insensitive checking.
I will just pop in quickly to say that you assume that the first datacenter added is the most accurate. If Incero was not in the datacenter list, someone might decide to add Incerohost as the name of the datacenter, and every other provider would either have to find alternatives (like Incero LLC) causing duplicates, or deal with the wrong value in the database, complain to an admin and have it resolved manually. This still leaves the option of spam open, as fake datacenters could be added without an admins permission. Please also note what zzrok said (your method does not work in reverse). Not only that, one of our datacenters is called IO -> I can't foresee any problems with that!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Should note that DailyServerDeal.com (without the 's') is redirecting to DailyServerDeals.com now.

Not really a noteworthy update. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
lol drmike you know everything. ...
No I don't ;)  Just were conversations here and there about the software and nagging things vs. needs and wants.  At one point Mann was looking for a Python dev for the site (still probably is).

Rational inferences some of it :)  Life and that linear path.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Looks like the website redirects to vpsboard?
Yep. I want to re-introduce it in the future but am too busy and got too tired of recycling old offers. None of the providers really supported it or took time to submit offers, and due to the lack of new and good offers it was never very popular.

A shame really, was a great site and excellent platform. I love the search function. So much better than just a stock wordpress install with some plugins or whatever.

That's correct.

@MannDude pulled back on the project.  It very well may reappear in the future with some modifications.
That's the idea. Need someone to tinker on it.

lol drmike you know everything. ...
See below. I also think he asked me about it as well in the past and I gave him more or less the same details.

No I don't ;)  Just were conversations here and there about the software and nagging things vs. needs and wants.  At one point Mann was looking for a Python dev for the site (still probably is).

Rational inferences some of it :)  Life and that linear path.
Yep, still need a python dev. Haven't looked super hard though. Lot of other things I need to address before trying to revive a site no one used. :)

amuck-landowner