amuck-landowner

Datacenter locations and companies I don't like.

peterw

Locations that I sould not buy in:

• Kansas City, Kansas
  • Buffalo, New York
  • Lenoir, North Carolina
  • Scranton, Pennsylvania
  • Seattle, Washington
  • Beauharnois, Canada

Copy the list and add you own.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I guess this is probably the reasons:

• Kansas City, Kansas
This is where Datashack and WSI are located. They're known to sell budget/cheap servers, therefore this location is generally pretty overcrowded in the VPS Market. Although personally I love WSI and Datashack especially since the servers I have with them are perfect for my use.

• Buffalo, New York
Mostly because CC saturated this area.  

• Lenoir, North Carolina
Similar to WSI and Datashack, this is where Dacentec is located. Now, Dacentec was previously single homed with Cogent but recently they added nLayer and in my opinion are decent for what it's worth. Same issue though with WSI and Datashack. Cheap servers at that location therefore pretty crowded.

• Scranton, Pennsylvania
BurstNET is here. Another budget dedicated server provider.

• Seattle, Washington
I'm assuming because so many people are in Seattle that this was put on the list? I can't think of any other reason (although I personally love this location).

• Beauharnois, Canada
Off the top of my head I believe this is BHS, where OVH has their new North America Datacenter located. Again cheap servers.

I think peterw just doesn't like locations that's frequently used by others.  Although I don't see this as a reason to avoid these locations but merely just reasons to shop around.  There's a reason why they're common locations (probably cheap prices and decent networks, I know RamNode has a great network in Seattle).  

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In fairness, all these places aside from Beauhamois and Lenoir  are big cities with other providers.  You just see the same cheap upstreams in these locations and that's the problem.

I'd love to see more reasons to avoid and which facilities as well as the end hosting companies.

imperio

Network wise Beauharnois, Canada and Seattle, Washington is not poor.We need more reasons to discuss.

Echelon

Verified Provider
Arbitrarily naming locations without justification is a recipe for disaster. Furthermore, simply writing off a company "because they offer cheap servers", in reference to Beauharnois, is a bit short sighted. Yes, they offer cheap servers, but they do also offer servers at a higher price point as well. Unfortunately, you do get a few companies that think they can turn a quick buck by picking up cheap servers and trying to play ball, they inevitably burn because of the lack of investment.

We offer services out of Beauharnois, and I'm quite proud to say it, because I am quite happy with the results it provides to myself and my customers.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Types of pies I would not buy:

• Chinese pie
  • Coulibiac
  • Curry pie
  • Fish pie
  • Half eaten pies
  • Melton Mowbray pork pie
  • Sea-pie
  • Stargazy pie

Copy the list and add your own.

P.S. List of Pies
Wow.

Rude.

And I used to think you were cool! 

Arbitrarily naming locations without justification is a recipe for disaster. Furthermore, simply writing off a company "because they offer cheap servers", in reference to Beauharnois, is a bit short sighted. Yes, they offer cheap servers, but they do also offer servers at a higher price point as well. Unfortunately, you do get a few companies that think they can turn a quick buck by picking up cheap servers and trying to play ball, they inevitably burn because of the lack of investment.

We offer services out of Beauharnois, and I'm quite proud to say it, because I am quite happy with the results it provides to myself and my customers.
I guess I should clarify.  I am not the individual who stated this.  I was merely the individual who compiled the list with the assumption the original poster was going off of.  There are actually great DCs in Kansas City that is NOT Joe's, WSI, or Datashack that have great networks.  Merely assuming that those locations immediately means horrible network or a cheapscape provider is quite false.  

Obviously the original poster should have been more specific to what he meant.  

budi1413

I don't care with location or company, if there's quality, then i come,

Damian

Verified Provider
All of us generally use the same locations because they meet the price point that we need. This list is similar to saying that you're not going to drive an automobile from <insert automaker here> because many other people own an automobile from the same manufacturer. 

wlanboy

Content Contributer
If you would have called datacenters and not cities you would not have that many "nope - you are wrong" posts.

And even that is not that easy.

You might feel oversaturated but then just ignore the offers from this locations.

Because there are a lot of offers from around any datacenter - if you want to spent enough money to buy in.

GVH-Jon

Banned
Just because Buffalo, NY is saturated doesn't mean that it would be ideal for some people's requirements. You're just jumping on the "I hate ColoCrossing so that makes me cool now right?" bandwagon.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Come on now Jon, that's my bandwagon :)  It's the holiday season so I am being extra nice to the members here.  Happy holidays!

Now I read your comment three times, I miss the point.   But, I've been partaking in too much egg nog.

Saying Buffalo is saturated?  In the low end only.  Nowhere else.

"would be ideal for some people's requirements"

Outside of the cheapskates that at least one member here said we should let get ripped off, what is the market for there?  Who is the audience?  I genuinely mean this.

Usually I'd jump to say any biz in greater Buffalo metro, Toronto across the lake and other nearby towns.   But, I don't think there is peering or a local internet exchange or tie in to local incumbents.   

Everything I've seen there backhauls out to New York City or Chicago then gets a long bus pass back.

amuck-landowner