amuck-landowner

Delaware LLC, ARIN

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Is ARIN giving you the run around and asking for spreadsheets with all the IPs to be used justifications (full customer info)?
Yep. Full customer info, which we already semi-associate. But then they want billing transactions....

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Yep. Full customer info, which we already semi-associate. But then they want billing transactions....
They didn't ask us for billing transactions when we did it, but they still asked for a ton of information. I'm okay with them wanting more info, but if they are going to start demanding it out of the blue they REALLY need to update the NRPM stating that they actually need that information. AFAIK the NRPM speaks very loosely on the information they require to validate IP justification/need.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Let me guess, it is a woman over there requesting this info from you?
Not sure, possibly. Right now it's just IPv4 Team 2.

They didn't ask us for billing transactions when we did it, but they still asked for a ton of information. I'm okay with them wanting more info, but if they are going to start demanding it out of the blue they REALLY need to update the NRPM stating that they actually need that information. AFAIK the NRPM speaks very loosely on the information they require to validate IP justification/need.
Eh, I think it's kind of weird they're asking for billing transactions. I don't really understand the point of doing so, unless it's to corroborate that we're not just making up customers info. 

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Not sure, possibly. Right now it's just IPv4 Team 2.

Eh, I think it's kind of weird they're asking for billing transactions. I don't really understand the point of doing so, unless it's to corroborate that we're not just making up customers info.
Seems a tad silly. If someone ballsy enough to give them fake client information, couldn't they just fake the transaction info as well? Seems like a flawed system to me. Not to mention gaping privacy concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Seems a tad silly. If someone ballsy enough to give them fake client information, couldn't they just fake the transaction info as well? Seems like a flawed system to me. Not to mention gaping privacy concerns.
My thoughts exactly.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
The real issue is the fact that it's entirely selective. They gave CC a /14, which clearly wasn't warranted. And they gave Cloudflare a /12, which is somewhat against the NRPM they are quoting to other, smaller companies for justification purposes (you are supposed to show immediate need and/or at most a 3 month requirement, which is based entirely on historical IP utilization rates). Then they make smaller guys jump through hoops and cite an "IP shortage" as being justification for demanding very detailed client information. If they had a more appropriate screening process in place to begin with, then not only would the system make sense but it would actually WORK.

They are simply delaying the IPv4 shortage by making people jump through hoops that take weeks to complete when the process normally would take days. They kept asking for information, I'd give it, they'd take 2 days to reply, and then they'd demand more information unrelated to the initial information request they made. Artificially slowing it down by making people annoyed isn't really solving anything, and just causes more headaches and work for those with legitimate requests.

The whole process should have been streamlined with appropriate NRPM requirements for information we as a company collect years ago. Technically speaking we aren't required by any law or business structure to maintain and validate the accuracy of client information. I ended up throwing them an Excel spreadsheet SQL dump with the information they asked, and none of it was in order. Thank god they accepted it, I fear the amount of work I would have had trying to put it all in order.

-----------------------------------------

Relating to @Virtovo, I do not believe (and I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am incorrect) that ARIN has a requirement that the business be legally registered in the United States. "The primary role of RIRs is to manage and distribute public Internet address space within their respective regions." I'd suggest researching that bit before you take a dive at a US LLC registration solely for the purpose of ARIN IP allocation.

The basic requirements for a single-homed ISP is demonstrating utilization of 16 /24's. The requirement as multi-homed when applying for a /22 of space is efficient utilization of a minimum contiguous or noncontiguous /23 (two /24's). There was discussion to amend the NRPM 4.2.2 policy in the ARIN public discussion email groups, to make the single-homed requirements similar to that of multi-homed, but there hasn't been a whole lot that has come about of that as of yet.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
-----------------------------------------

Relating to @Virtovo, I do not believe (and I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am incorrect) that ARIN has a requirement that the business be legally registered in the United States. "The primary role of RIRs is to manage and distribute public Internet address space within their respective regions." I'd suggest researching that bit before you take a dive at a US LLC registration solely for the purpose of ARIN IP allocation.

The basic requirements for a single-homed ISP is demonstrating utilization of 16 /24's. The requirement as multi-homed when applying for a /22 of space is efficient utilization of a minimum contiguous or noncontiguous /23 (two /24's). There was discussion to amend the NRPM 4.2.2 policy in the ARIN public discussion email groups, to make the single-homed requirements similar to that of multi-homed, but there hasn't been a whole lot that has come about of that as of yet.
Thanks, although I don't think you can even get an orgID without a US based address.

qps

Verified Provider
They definitely will give you a hard time if you aren't a US corp/LLC with a US address.  

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Seems like this may be unachievable for us before final /8 policy.  16 /24s is beyond all growth expectations, unless we decided to allocate multiple IPs to people; however that's just not a game we're looking to play. 

Thanks to all for the advice. 

amuck-landowner