amuck-landowner

Does GVH kill torrent processes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzchimpo

Does gvh keep tabs on what processes are running on containers and kill processes? I had deluge running on one of my containers, and found that even though I didnt have any torrents active, the daemon kept being killed. I even had a script check the process list and start up the daemon every minute it wasnt already started, and its log showed that every couple of minutes, the daemon was killed.

Have you faced anything like this?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Process hunting like this is somewhat intrusive and many frown about it.    Usually it's simply avoided by renaming your daemon :)

dzchimpo

Certainly possible. I think the bigger question is, why on earth are you hosting with GVH? Their attitude towards customers is appalling.
None of my sites are on GVH. 250GB of storage and plenty of bandwidth. It just begs to be used as a torrent server. ;)

Process hunting like this is somewhat intrusive and many frown about it.    Usually it's simply avoided by renaming your daemon :)
Come on.. It can't be that simple!

kcaj

None of my sites are on GVH. 250GB of storage and plenty of bandwidth. It just begs to be used as a torrent server. ;)

Come on.. It can't be that simple!
I can think of better hosts with similar resource limits at the same price for torrenting. ;)

dzchimpo

BuyVM storage plans. 500GB disk space and 5TB of bandwidth for $15usd. US based yes, but many customers there use their boxes for torrenting and haven't any problems.
That's $15 per month, right? This one is $47 per year.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
They probably started killing torrent processes globally since those 100TB plans likely caused a huge problem with people torrenting and bandwidth utilization.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Would be good for you to get their official response on this.  Have you opened a ticket?  Have you tried renaming the daemon to see if it is still killed?

Virtovo

Verified Provider
And be terminated? Though their official TOS as per http://www.greenvaluehost.com/termsofservice.html doesnt mention torrents as unacceptable, I believe the post in LET might have mentioned this.

I'm not sure. I dont want to risk by termination by asking them.
Ah sorry, not been keeping an eye on what they allow or not allow.  Although I'd say if it's not in their ToS or AUP you're at least safe until they rewrite their ToS.  If you cant use torrents at the moment because the process keeps getting killed, do you have a lot to lose?

Any other processes being killed? Specifically high RAM processes?  

dzchimpo

Ah sorry, not been keeping an eye on what they allow or not allow.  Although I'd say if it's not in their ToS or AUP you're at least safe until they rewrite their ToS.  If you cant use torrents at the moment because the process keeps getting killed, do you have a lot to lose?

Any other processes being killed? Specifically high RAM processes?  
I've been using a lesser known torrent client without any issues. I don't have any other significant processes running on it. Just apache and deluge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I've been using a lesser known torrent client without any issues. I don't have any other processes running on it. Just apache and deluge.
Any difference in the RAM usage between the two?

One other test to see if they are searching out processes to kill is to rename something small and harmless to deluge and see what happens ;)

dzchimpo

Any difference in the RAM usage between the two?

One other test to see if they are searching out processes to kill is to rename something small and harmless to deluge and see what happens ;)
Well, renamed mc to deluge and checked. It wasnt killed. Maybe it's just my daemon. :)

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Well, renamed mc to deluge and checked. It wasnt killed. Maybe it's just my daemon. :)
If I recall, sometimes just renaming it doesn't actually mean thats what will show up in "ps" which I assume is what they are using.

If MC = MineCraft then the process name will be "java"

dzchimpo

If I recall, sometimes just renaming it doesn't actually mean thats what will show up in "ps" which I assume is what they are using.

If MC = MineCraft then the process name will be "java"
In this case, mc->midnight commander.

After a:

mv /usr/bin/mc /usr/bin/deluged

and running mc:

Code:
#ps ax | grep 'deluge'
24286 pts/2    T      0:00 deluged

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner