amuck-landowner

Domain Registrars?

libro22

Internetbs has a very good support team. I was able to get refunds several times due to misspellings and accidental renewals (from clients). Very nice people.

Will try namesilo soon, their discount program is really good, my domain portfolio in internetbs is growing but price still remains the same :p

GelHost

Verified Provider
I think netfirms is a good domain provider. Never had any problem with them until now.

qps

Verified Provider
NetEarthOne has been pretty good.  We also have a few domains with Resell.biz and they've been good too.

Sardonik

I've been wanting to play with DNSSEC for a while, but my current registrar (namecheap) has really been dragging their heels on implementing such an important feature. Gandi and GoDaddy both offer DNSSEC, but Gandi seems to offer decent pricing vs GoDaddy when private reg is factored in.

Anyone have a reason to stay away from Gandi?

Last edited by a moderator:

catatonic

Lack of telephone support is the main reason I can think of, however they include that in their corporate offerings that anyone can sign up to.

I've been wanting to play with DNSSEC for a while, but my current registrar (namecheap) has really been dragging their heels on implementing such an important feature. Gandi and GoDaddy both offer DNSSEC, but Gandi seems to offer decent pricing vs GoDaddy when private reg is factored in. Anyone have a reason to stay away from Gandi?

Eric1212

Verified Provider
I use name.com and NetEarthOne (LogicBoxes).  What's wrong with Namecheap currently? 

Abdussamad

Name one person in the "hosting industry" who recommends GoDaddy...

Most people despise them.
They are the largest registrar by far. Also one of the largest hosting providers in the world. That is why they are despised by other hosting providers.

http://registrarstats.com/Secure/RegistrarMarketShareMain.aspx

Domain registrars are basically interchangeable. You buy from whichever one is cheapest at the time. So the question shouldn't be which registrar is the best. It should be which registrar is the cheapest for such and such a TLD.

I don't really understand what people mean when they talk about support. Who uses a registrar's support? It's all there laid out in front of you so why would you need support?

Sardonik

Well, I did give Gandi a shot and have experienced what business hours, email only support is like.

When I created my Gandi account, I mistakenly used a shortened version of my first name, rather than the full one (think Tim vs Timothy). When initiating the transfer of my domain from Namecheap, multiple warnings appeared admonishing me to ensure my contact info on Gandi was an *exact* match for the current whois info on the incoming domain.

I corrected my address etc on Gandi to be an exact match, but was unable to change my first name. Concerned, I emailed support asking them to make the, very minor, adjustment. This happened on Saturday night. I received an email from tier 2 tech support late on Monday morning, asking me to email a copy of my photo ID and they'd take care of the change.

In the meantime, the domain transfer went through without any issue, despite the slightly mismatched name. Since I'm not keen on handing out electronic copies of my license, especially for what amounts to a typo correction in my name, I'll likely just leave things be. I am considering just using GoDaddy next time around.

If anyone has an opinion on GKG.net, I'd love to hear it. I somehow missed them during my search for DNSSEC friendly registrars and might try them instead of GD.

tl;dr Sometimes you do need support from your registrar and Gandi did not impress. Opinions on GKG.net would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Abdussamad

When initiating the transfer of my domain from Namecheap, multiple warnings appeared admonishing me to ensure my contact info on Gandi was an *exact* match for the current whois info on the incoming domain. I corrected my address etc on Gandi to be an exact match,
I have never heard of a registrar with such restrictions. Looking at gandi's site it seems they charge for "ownership change". So this seems to be connected to that.

Dylan

@Sardonik

name.com has (excellent) phone support and has supported DNSSEC for years. They're very well reviewed and a much better option than GoDaddy (also a bit cheaper, mega-sales aside).

amuck-landowner