amuck-landowner

Expectations in regards to ticket reply

TheLinuxBug

So you resolve the newest tickets first instead of the ones that have been sitting around waiting for a reply?  That seems back-assward if you ask me.  If that's the case, the old tickets would take even longer to be replied to, because you would be giving priority to the new tickets at the top.
 @WSWD,

Like @Mao said earlier, when a ticket comes in it gets worked till its resolved or till the point where there is a needed response from the customer.  When you actually work through your tickets as they come in by the time they are reaching the bottom of the page they are waiting for client reply anyways, so them replying will bump the ticket back to the top of the queue as it should.  I am not sure why you would start a ticket and then not complete it, doesn't sound very productive to me.  Most of our clients issues are usually resolved within the first 15-60 minutes.  Things taking longer than that are usually because of delayed replies from the customer only.

As I said before though, I do not work for a "Low End" host though, so our standard of care is a little higher possibly.

Edit: on a side note, would a mod or admin care to correct the spelling in the thread title? "Expectations" instead of "Expections"

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

WSWD

Verified Provider
 @WSWD,

Like @Mao said earlier, when a ticket comes in it gets worked till its resolved or till the point where there is a needed response from the customer.  When you actually work through your tickets as they come in by the time they are reaching the bottom of the page they are waiting for client reply anyways, so them replying will bump the ticket back to the top of the queue as it should.  I am not sure why you would start a ticket and then not complete it, doesn't sound very productive to me.  Most of our clients issues are usually resolved within the first 15-60 minutes.  Things taking longer than that are usually because of delayed replies from the customer only.
We do exactly the same thing.  But with hosts where it is taking days to respond to tickets, that obviously isn't happening, hence my advice to the OP.  The majority of budget hosts (especially the large ones) I've ever dealt with operate in the manner I described, where new replies, tickets, etc. are opened at the bottom of the queue, so that the existing/older tickets are noted at the top and can be resolved.

egihosting

Verified Provider
We usually respond to support and network tickets within 10 minutes or so.  Sales and billing during business hours, but everyone is checking email via their smartphones so something urgent will get a reply regardless.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
We usually respond to support and network tickets within 10 minutes or so.  Sales and billing during business hours, but everyone is checking email via their smartphones so something urgent will get a reply regardless.
Yeah, well okay.

But do you usually resolve the issue within 10 minutes or so?

Again, pointless replies are stupid.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I would rather have a pointless reply than no reply at all. For me, just knowing a living, breathing person has looked at my ticket makes me feel 100x better. For example, when I open a ticket with cPanel, I refresh the page like crazy until I see the ticket assigned to somebody and then I close the tab and go do something else.

For us, we mark tickets as "In Progress" after we review them if we don't have anything to add but that at least tells the client that we've looked at the ticket and are working on it. I personally don't like doing "we're working on it" replies unless it's a major issue and we've got 30+ tickets for the same thing then the copy and paste replies will be given out but if I'm a client I would rather have that reply than an hour of silence.

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
I would rather have a pointless reply than no reply at all. For me, just knowing a living, breathing person has looked at my ticket makes me feel 100x better. For example, when I open a ticket with cPanel, I refresh the page like crazy until I see the ticket assigned to somebody and then I close the tab and go do something else.

For us, we mark tickets as "In Progress" after we review them if we don't have anything to add but that at least tells the client that we've looked at the ticket and are working on it. I personally don't like doing "we're working on it" replies unless it's a major issue and we've got 30+ tickets for the same thing then the copy and paste replies will be given out but if I'm a client I would rather have that reply than an hour of silence.
I agree. A human reply is a whole lot better than a computer generated reply. At least take a look at the ticket and write that just so you know what the ticket is requesting.

Echelon

Verified Provider
What I find a bit concerning is the trend of caring more about response times and less about actual resolution of the issue at hand. If you get a response in 5 minutes, but resolution doesn't happen until 5 days later, how useful is that?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
What I find a bit concerning is the trend of caring more about response times and less about actual resolution of the issue at hand. If you get a response in 5 minutes, but resolution doesn't happen until 5 days later, how useful is that?
At least you'll know you'll get a quick response when you ask for a refund. ;)

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Well no not really @KuJoe  

You get to know someone has seen your refund request but that's all :) personally I would find it more frustrating to know someone has looked at my ticket, read it and decided to deal with it later.

Its a no win situation though, you cant operate in all the different ways described all at the same time, no one agrees on what is best so I think each company is best off just doing what is best for them.

I like things fixed, I don't like someone to distract me from the resolution time by fluffing me with a fluffing message before they even attempt to fix it. seems kind of an all look and no substance approach to me.

I do on occasion send a "I am looking at this for you now" message but thats only when someone opens a ticket that makes me think "hmm.... what" and I genuinely do need to work on it to find out what is going on but they are kept up to date with findings all the way along the line.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
>personally I would find it more frustrating to know someone has looked at my ticket, read it and decided to deal with it later.

This.

Jack

I think it depends on what you are asking in the ticket...

If it's when will you have x feature ready and they have given an ETA that has passed it should be replied to pretty quick if its just hey this isnt working on my VPS because i rm -rf'd / then it shouldn't be the same as its there fault and most providers offer console access.

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
I do it based on department, support is generally within 30 minutes, billing and sales is generally 1-2 hours during business hours, and abuse is 2-4 hours during business hours. However, with bigger companies, there is still huge delays. With Godaddy, I find the support gets back to me in 24 hours, and it's a computer generated response.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner

That's pretty much the reason the company I work for (we deal mostly with issues logged by phone) stopped taking voicemails and swapped to having some of our guys act as dedicated 1st-level techs and just get initial details+log/resolve trivial (<5 min) jobs, while the rest call back  to troubleshoot/resolve logged jobs. Objectively, things get done slower (probably 5~10% average overhead), but people are a lot happier this way. Seriously, cut down complaints by at least an order of magnitude.

amuck-landowner