amuck-landowner

Expectations in regards to ticket reply

hasel92

Within 24 hours is acceptable.

Although its budget VPS, but sometimes some provider just seem doesn't want to answer simple question that can be solved within a reply.

The worst part is it take 3 days for them to reply. It may be budget..

But business is still business..

KuJoe

Verified Provider
We try to respond to tickets within an hour (current average is 18 minutes) but we make sure to outline everything so our clients know what to expect when they contact us for support before they open a ticket: https://my.securedragon.net/submitticket.php

For the most part clients are understanding because we provide them with exactly what to expect, normally clients are blown away when we have a resolution in under 5 minutes or respond in under 1 minute. Some clients on the other hand, will open 10 tickets a month and complain when it takes more 30 minutes to resolve their problem at 3AM for their $8/year VPS.

I would say that 50% of my ticket replies are simply links to a KB article I wrote months ago or a link to our TOS or website. Sometimes the client will be pissed that I don't just answer their question but at $25/hour (minimum 1 hour) I don't think they want to be invoiced for something that they can find themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
It depends on the topic of the ticket.

I am missing the option to set a category for a ticket. The support would be able to see if

• I want something (ipv6, rdns, iptables modules, change location),
  • if something is broken (SolusVM casualty, network issue)
  • if I want to ask for something (E.T.A. for features, AUP)
First and third are totally fine to be answered within 24 hours. Second should be answered as fast as possible.

And it is totally ok to get an automated answer if:

• it is a known issue (yup the node is down)
  • someone is allready working on it (we are working on it and come back in xx minutes)

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Non critical issues in 24 hours or less is what I would expect from a provider. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by a ticket response then seriously disappointed. I typically try and answer tickets and provide a resolution as quickly as possible, but that varies dependent on the request and what else is occurring at the time - some tickets may have priority if they come in at the same time.

Things like ARIN's 3 day response policy still blows my mind that it's their standard. At least they have a published standard so you know for sure it's going to take ages ;)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Things like ARIN's 3 day response policy still blows my mind that it's their standard. At least they have a published standard so you know for sure it's going to take ages ;)
If it's something critical or you want to push it along faster you can give them a ring. When we were getting our first /22 from them we filled out the paperwork on a Friday and we were told it wouldn't be assigned until Monday so we called them up and we had the /22 before end of business that day.

WSWD

Verified Provider
@WSWD,

Sorry, but, what?!  If you bump a ticket in most systems that I have seen (assuming you sort your tickets newest to oldest to be able to see new issues and emergencies first) it end up at the top of the list as it is the newest.  It sounds strange to me that you would do this in reverse and have them on the bottom?  

Cheers!
So you resolve the newest tickets first instead of the ones that have been sitting around waiting for a reply?  That seems back-assward if you ask me.  If that's the case, the old tickets would take even longer to be replied to, because you would be giving priority to the new tickets at the top.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
If it's something critical or you want to push it along faster you can give them a ring. When we were getting our first /22 from them we filled out the paperwork on a Friday and we were told it wouldn't be assigned until Monday so we called them up and we had the /22 before end of business that day.
Yeah I figured that out after a while. Giving them a ring and having a voice to a name seems to make them work faster ;)

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I leave my WHMCS Ticket View sorted by newest first, so I can see the new stuff first without having to look through anything still in the queue waiting for something to happen. I try to take care of oldest stuff first, though if there's something new that comes in which is a quick fix, I'll get that out of the way first.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Yikes, folks sure are liberal with the ticket times.

Regardless of pricing, I expect to see 30 minute or less ticket responses.  Those might not be complete resolutions, but at minimum a live human working on the issue and some update to that effect.

Average ticket times that sit at or above 30 minutes across all the tickets indicate a problem with the provider --- to me at least.
People with this attitude are why helpdesks give worthless responses now.

Wintereise

Cogent responds to tickets within 2 days for support and 5 days for billing. Best sla :(
<10 minutes in update cases and IF you're within business hours, actually.

I don't know what people whine about, but Cogent's support is far better than most carriers at their scale.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
What. What kind of moron would volunteer for a business?

And how could you trust someone who's not getting paid with your customers' personal information and private data?
I wish I could have an all-volunteer staff.  Sounds awesome for my pocketbook.  :(

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
What. What kind of moron would volunteer for a business?

And how could you trust someone who's not getting paid with your customers' personal information and private data?
This moron.  I worked for Fran voluntarily for years - he had to force me to start accepting wages.  We're practically family - it's never been about the money.

lbft

This moron.  I worked for Fran voluntarily for years - he had to force me to start accepting wages.  We're practically family - it's never been about the money.
Fair enough, I can understand doing it for a friend.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
It depends on the time of day and nature of the ticket, I will read every ticket that comes in within 15 - 30 minutes however if it is something not service affecting and not getting instant resolution is not actually going to affect anything one way or the other then I will leave it for later if I am in the middle of something.

e.g. I set up a subscription but also paid manually can I get a refund for one of the payments - that will get dealt with as low priority regardless.

I have lost my password to my mysql database can you help - again not really my fault and no I cant help anyway so low priority response times.

I take a human approach generally and use the customer selected priority as a guide to how important they feel it is not how important it actually is, I get high priority tickets all the time with silly stuff all the time so I just make a logical decision on priority myself.

I never give filler only replies, if you want a "ok looking at this for you" reply within xx minutes don't buy from Inception Hosting because this is a waste of my time and yours.  :)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Wait, people get paid to answer support tickets???? I need a raise then, my $0.00/hour makes tickets less fun. :(

amuck-landowner