amuck-landowner

Falling off the Grid

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Only issue I am having is when I am connected to WIFI I need to use the IP for my NAS, off WIFI the FQDN works fine. Weird.

Additionally, I am disappointed to see SpamAssassin in there instead of ASSP. :(

You're suffering from your home router not supporting NAT loopback. Most don't, and it's a PITA. You may be able to work around it by having your router's DNS return the internal IP for the FQDN instead of the external-facing internet IP.

Also, cool thread. I've done some of this stuff myself, but I'm taking it pretty slowly - I've moved some stuff to completely self-hosted/DIY solutions, but also moved a lot of stuff to smaller commercial operations that are less likely to be reading through all my data and actually have privacy policies as an interim solution (e.g. fastmail.fm for most email at the moment).

Quexis

Verified Provider
May want to check out ZPanel (http://www.zpanelcp.com/). It is an open-source hosting solution that has been recently updated with a nice theme.  It has a lot of built-in features including email using dovecot, postfix and all the other frills + the normal hosting solutions. Run it in-house if you want and it would keep it as secure as you are. 

Subsonic?  might need to look at that.
You mean this ZPanel?

shawn_ky

As with anything, there will be concerns. I can't answer for the dev team. I am not them. A long the post there was suggestions about disabling, this that and the other... I don't know. I can say for what I am using for a personal use, it does it's work. Disabling the info mentioned would more than likely secure this for what the Op wanted.. I still think it's a good project that it doing some pretty good things -- that's something I'll stand behind.

You mean this joepie91? Sorry, I had to say it.  :p
^^^^ Now that's funny! :p

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
You're suffering from your home router not supporting NAT loopback. Most don't, and it's a PITA. You may be able to work around it by having your router's DNS return the internal IP for the FQDN instead of the external-facing internet IP.
Another solution to this issue would be to edit hosts file on machines in the local network.  NAT loopback issues suck completely though.

bizzard

I don't have much personal files on cloud, but would love to give owncloud a try. My photos and media stays in my portable HDD's and optical disks.

For mail, I still have 1 or 2 gmail accounts. For all others, I have a VPS, which run Dovecot + postfix with Virtualmin as the panel to manage mail accounts. Virtualmin has a pretty good interface to manage mail accounts + RoundCube as the web interface does the trick for me. I access mails mostly via thunderbird and k9mail on my phone. The web interface is just incase if I need it while travelling. Syncing contacts between all my devices is one problem I face now.

The cost of dedicating a 1GB VPS for mails + backup is almost equivalent of having two Google App accounts now a days. Keeping up backups is not much pain with rsync, but still need to setup a backup mx. Had found some tutorials to do it using postfix, but haven't tried yet. Please share tutorials if anyone has succeeded with setting up backup mx.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I don't have much personal files on cloud, but would love to give owncloud a try. My photos and media stays in my portable HDD's and optical disks.
Heh, I hardly ever use 'cloud' type deployments for actual filesharing/etc.  I originally tried Owncloud to see if it handled RSS (before finding TTRSS), and ended up keeping it after I found out about Contact/Calendar sync.

Syncing contacts between all my devices is one problem I face now.
You're already running Owncloud - so pretty much all you need is CardDAV.  Syncs to Android perfectly.  Owncloud has other syncing options as well (Windows, *nix, etc), but I haven't had reason to use those yet.

shawn_ky

I've got OwnCloud working being between VPS's and Windows machines..then move it to a NAS for backup.  It really is doing a pretty good job with the last update. Haven't tried with the phone yet... Next attempt. (iPhone) 

How well are the Contacts and Calendar working with multiple machines? (Should be the same, but...) Have been thinking about doing a home calendar with my wife and I to keep track of where we are going to be when...

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
shawn_ky said:
How well are the Contacts and Calendar working with multiple machines?
Flawlessly for me.  But it's worth noting that I don't touch Apple, and I don't know if there's an equiv to CardDAV/CalDAV for the iPhone.  Worth looking into, though - it's not proprietary, so there's bound to be other apps for it.

Reactions: bfj

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good random stuff there @wdq.   Came from Eben Moglen's FreedomBox project (wish Eben would get launching things in beta already).

So much hope so long ago for Freedombox... errr...

happel

Flawlessly for me. But it's worth noting that I don't touch Apple, and I don't know if there's an equiv to CardDAV/CalDAV for the iPhone. Worth looking into, though - it's not proprietary, so there's bound to be other apps for it.
iOS and OS X have had excellent support for CardDAV and CalDAV for years :). Only platform that doesn't support those two is Windows.. (Both desktop and phone)

mpkossen

Zpanel has a bad track record when it comes to security. I even recall one of the developers stating security wasn't relevant or something like that.

I moved away from Google services a few years back.

- owncloud for caldav/carddav

- postfix/dovecot/opendkim/dspam for mail (plain mysql for managing)

only I haven't found a satisfactory alternative for is dropbox..
Try BoxCryptor Classic. Works very fine for me. On Linux-like system you can just mount it as an EncFS volume.

amuck-landowner