Fraud Record

Discussion in 'Hosting Talk & Reviews' started by LimestoneNetworks, Oct 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LimestoneNetworks

LimestoneNetworks Member Verified Provider

Oct 15, 2014
    In your experience, how effective has Fraud Record been at avoiding fraudulent orders? 

2. rds100

rds100 New Member Verified Provider

May 18, 2013
    In my experience - more effective than MaxMind.

3. LimestoneNetworks

Oct 15, 2014
    Do they tend to have a lot of false positives? We've noticed that happens quite a lot with Maxmind.

4. rmlhhd

rmlhhd New Member Verified Provider

May 22, 2015
  5. Steven F

Steven F New Member Verified Provider

Jun 27, 2013
    It's not really something that (currently) has any false positives. It is what you make it. It provides information, sometimes, about certain fraudsters. I know Harzem had plans to really improve on it, but I don't know where he is at with that. Right now, you would need to review the FraudRecord cases yourself. You could run it automatically, but there's no way to see how credible a report is without viewing it (though, there are exceptions).

LimestoneNetworks likes this.
  6. LimestoneNetworks

Oct 15, 2014
    It's true that we do advertise with them, but this thread is to get some opinions on the efficacy of their service in general.

7. Awmusic12635

Awmusic12635 Active Member Verified Provider

May 3, 2013
    I would highly recommend it. Has stopped a large number of fraud signups that maxmind allowed through

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  8. ndelaespada

ndelaespada Member Verified Provider

Aug 29, 2013
    If several different companies report the same user for spamming then I definitely don't want that user as a client; I've seen other cases where the user is reported for not making the initial payment after signing up.. that's not necessarily a user I would ban...

Fraud Record is very useful and we use it in conjunction with maxmind as well.

9. Xeepi

Xeepi New Member Verified Provider

Oct 27, 2014
    It helped us alot, we use both Maxmind fraudcheck and FraudRecord as second, sometimes Maxmind just let some suspicious orders go through, FraudRecord just report that.

I would recommend every provider to use it, it's totally free and you have no reason not using it.

10. Enterprisevpssolutions

Enterprisevpssolutions Article Submitter Verified Provider

May 22, 2013
    Use them with maxmind and common sense, you should be ok.

11. M-HSN

M-HSN New Member Verified Provider

Oct 25, 2014
    We are using Maxmind but it seems Fraudrecord is much better, however in my experience Fraudrecord is based on other company's record, hmm ?

12. Xeepi

Oct 27, 2014
    Yes, that make sense and scammers will have little chance to fraud.

13. Kakashi

Kakashi New Member Verified Provider

Sep 30, 2013
    Pretty much this. Can't take both at face value, so use both of them + common sense and most of the time it's ok.

14. LimestoneNetworks

Oct 15, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback you guys. I'll pass on the info to our abuse manager. Kudos to Harzem.

15. Onra Host

Onra Host New Member Verified Provider

May 23, 2014
    Its a great add-on feature since its a community reviewed database. Maxmind is a good add-on as well, but should be taken with a grain of salt half the time. I;ve had users marked as 80-90% fraud and been the best of customers...and had users marked .02% who tried to SPAM 5 minutes after service creation.   

16. Xeepi

Oct 27, 2014
    Wondering if you have figured out the reason why "users marked as 80-90% fraud and been the best of customers". maybe they are making order using VPN which cause the maxmind high risk alert?

17. concerto49

concerto49 New Member Verified Provider

May 5, 2013
    Could also be the country, a shared ip or many other reasons.

18. Licensecart

Licensecart Active Member

May 22, 2013
    It works alot we have to do some manual checks but only do them if something is suspicious. 

19. AutoSnipe

AutoSnipe New Member Verified Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    I check users just after they join up and then check once every 7 days for any changes just to keep track of what is going on.

I think fraud record is wonderful :)

20. sshgroup

sshgroup New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    not so good but not bad too ,  it's some thing can't be explained  so clear, people with less experience in fraud can be very effective.but ....