amuck-landowner

Free 1U server, you pay tech time & shipping.

Damian

Verified Provider
We have a retired server available to anyone who wants to pay the tech time for unracking and packaging, plus shipping to you. It's one of our first VPS nodes.

HP DL365 G1 I think. I know it's a DL365, but don't know the generation.

2x dual-core AMD Opterion 2216 HE processors

24gb DDR2 RAM

6x 2.5" drive bays, populated with 4x 500gb 7200 RPM drives, one of which is in 'failed' status from RAID. Is it actually failed, or did it just drop out of array? Don't know.

iLO v1

Gigabit ethernet

Tech time was quoted at $70, you can estimate your shipping from 350 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202. UPS that's picked up is your choice for shipping.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I feel conflicted, because I want this, but I also don't think it's fair I get first dibs considering this post was in moderation queue and I'm the first to see it...

Let me know if it's still available Friday... :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'd need to stop at one of the 4 Footlockers in the datacenter mall first so I'd have some proper sneakers in case I might have to duck and cover...   That would raise the cost of that server... and the parking.. you know, nowhere to park in a booming cosmopolitan wonderland like Buffalo...

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

I'm a little bit disturbed by this.  What measures have been taken to make sure there's no user data accessible on the hard drives?  If the OP doesn't even know the condition of the hard drives (like whether the "failed" one has only dropped out of the array), it makes it sound like nothing has been done.

Damian

Verified Provider
I'm a little bit disturbed by this.  What measures have been taken to make sure there's no user data accessible on the hard drives?  If the OP doesn't even know the condition of the hard drives (like whether the "failed" one has only dropped out of the array), it makes it sound like nothing has been done.
The server's currently installed and running with nothing on it anymore, in case anyone wants to know anything further about the hardware. The disks will be shredded by partition before we send in the ticket to have it de-racked. I'll be honest that i'm far more concerned about recovery of our passwords and keys than 'user data'.

Raid monitoring states:

Smart Array P400i in Slot 0   (sn: PH78MU7875     )

array A (SATA, Unused Space: 0 MB)

logicaldrive 1 (1.4 TB, RAID 5, Interim Recovery Mode)

physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, SATA, 500.1 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, SATA, 500.1 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:3 (port 1I:box 1:bay 3, SATA, 500.1 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:4 (port 1I:box 1:bay 4, SATA, 500.1 GB, Failed)

Which, since we're not using the server anymore and getting rid of it, I haven't bothered to look at why. 

willie

Thanks, and yes, I did ask, in the sentence that begins "What measures..." and ends with a question mark.  The later sentence simply observed there was a basis for concern.  What does it mean to shred a drive "by partition"?  If that means something like fdisk, it just overwrites the partition table and doesn't erase data at all.  Actually erasing all the sectors on a 500GB drive takes hours.  Are the data center techs going to do that on all 4 drives (hmm maybe you can do it remotely through IPMI).  Is it known whether drive 4 is even spinning?  If not, it might be uneraseable by normal means, but accessible to data recovery. 

Not trying to give you a hard time.  If that server is the one that hosted your old 32MB plans, it's possible I have some data on it, though nothing terribly confidential as far as I can remember.  This seems like a hazard of the hosting industry in general.  I know that Amazon (EC2) is careful about disposing old drives, but they are possibly ahead of the curve.  I'm now thinking of crazy measures like running nested KVM's with an encrypted file system in the inner one.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Instead of shipping, would it be possible to colo?

What would that cost in that case?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Instead of shipping, would it be possible to colo?

What would that cost in that case?
Colo is what $99/mo for 1U..  Probably are providers with empty racks though.

GVH is offering $29 colo or $40 colo... so the story was told on IRC in the past week....

Jack

GVH is offering $29 colo or $40 colo... so the story was told on IRC in the past week....
Didn't Jon (GVH) post a final price of $30/mo in IRC?

CC standard price for anyone/everyone is $90/1U 

Damian what's the power usage on it?

AuroraZero

Man wish I had the cash. Have to pass this one up though. Even the Colo deal would be cool. Not that I am a fan of the network but the for the price of the server alone would be worth it.

Jack

I don't think it would cost any tech time as the hardware would be shipped to that address anyway and racked...

GVH-Jon

Banned

To clarify further, it's going to be $24.95/month 1U colo from us in Buffalo.

Jack

To clarify further, it's going to be $24.95/month 1U colo from us in Buffalo.

@Damian - If this is still available I'll be more than happy to take this server :)

Can it be shipped to CC's buffalo facility?

That's where it is already   -_-

amuck-landowner