amuck-landowner

Free Public DNS resolver list (public DNS servers)

dano

Just started using a couple of my own VPS's as recursive DNS now -- one in Dallas & one in Northern VA, so I should be ok on either route. Locked it down via Iptables and PowerDNS to only allow my current IP on my wan router to be able to recurse off of it -- prolly need a better solution, but I haven't quite figured out exactly how-to make it automated, yet.

tchen

Maybe I missed it, but how does opennicproject actually deal with rogue or compromised DNS servers?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Maybe I missed it, but how does opennicproject actually deal with rogue or compromised DNS servers?
Not at all:

Code:
There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that OpenNIC is just that 
(like many F/OSS projects):
A hobby network, borne on the shoulders of volunteers who work on
OpenNIC projects because it's something that interests them.
Code:
If OpenNIC were to become a legalized entity, then OpenNIC as a organization 
would need to exercise due diligence to ensure that its servers weren't 
compromised or malicious.  But at this point in time (and in the foreseeable future), 
it's pretty much "user beware."  Just as most F/OSS...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Opennic does concern me.

Their 2nd tier public server count has fallen quickly lately.  Was 55, and now 42 at last check.  

I've had 3 servers I've plucked suddenly go away.  Way too much churn.

tchen

Thanks wlanboy.  I looked more closely into it as well.  Tier 2 servers are currently NOT audited.  Going by the T2 list, I've only come across one person I'd even remotely trust after tracerouting the IP and verifying whois, LinkedIn, etc.

drmike's list (from the other thread) had one from a university student who's dropped off the T2 list - who's obviously having technical difficulties keeping the server alive.  It's been popping in and out and the few times I was able to get a dig on it, was returning slightly off results. 

I like the idea, but I can't bring myself to use it as-is.  I wish them the best of luck.

Echelon

Verified Provider
One tool I'd like to toss out there if you guys haven't heard of it as well is namebench, for benchmarking dns servers. Helps you find ones that will serve you best.

Just keep in mind that some CDNs will base the server they direct you on the DNS server that the request is received from, so your mileage may vary on CDN content.

https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

jebat_ks

Anyone using OpenNIC on their server? Is it reliable(in term of uptime & performance)?

I always use Google with OpenDNS as failover. But might not want big brother anywhere near my *** box  :rolleyes:

amuck-landowner