amuck-landowner

Future of Shared Web Hosting?

Tyler

A Shared host is just a VPS with cPanel divied up for clients.

Remind me never to buy shared hosting from someone who has that philosophy. I guess the level of support and hand holding provided to shared hosting customers doesn't matter either, then. Neither does stopping spam or abuse, or proactive monitoring. 

With all due respect, that's not the right philosophy, especially for you being a company that sells shared web hosting. Shaking my head.

Scopehosts

Verified Provider
A Shared host is just a VPS with cPanel divied up for clients. 

Hope none of your clients would see this comment. Eventually they will be afraid to subscribe the service. 

On this old topic : Shared Hosting cannot be replaced with present existing technologies. But can be given with lot of competition . 

Just assuming a very large hosting company, being distributor of cpanel can provide license for 8$/mo and basic configured vps with free IPv6 . For about 10$-12$/mo. As with exhaust of IPv4 addresses is nearly impossible to go with it.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
It will survive but will change to something service realigned.

Billed hourly with different services to switch on and off. Supporting Ruby, Node.JS and Phyton.
Like the vps market the ones finding an easy way to auto-setup and auto-billing such agile packages will win.

IntroVex-Kamran

Verified Provider
Anytime soon? My answer is no - for the simple fact that people who are new to creating websites (bloggers, some startup companies etc) are not so technically minded and therefore, they'd prefer a managed cPanel service where everything is setup and all they have to do is point their domain to the server and fire away.

It is, however, something that could happen in the future, assuming the functionality is added onto VPS control panels - but I don't see this happening in the near future. VPSs are designed for more advanced users who want their own server without paying the high monthly costs for dedicated servers. Not for those who are new to hosting. (unless they're ambitious)

Last edited by a moderator:

NetDepot-KH

Verified Provider
Definitely the Shared Hosting won't be replaced by VPS as most of people out there are still preferred Shared Hosting as they just need small amount $ to get their website and email working and they do not need to manage or hardening or secure the server etc. VPS & Shared Hosting are the different products that for different people demands.

Aurimas

Verified Provider
Sooner or later I think the technology will go on as it always do and shared hosting will be in the past. Even now VPS is probably one of the most popular hosting type and more and more people are transfering to VPS, caus it's logical that the websites are growing if they are done and advertised correctly. Those who stay the same and doesn't grow at all - have no perspective, right? So why it's worth keeping them at all?

amuck-landowner