amuck-landowner

Gmail Trick

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Most GMail users don't know about this, your single email account = tens (if not, hundreds) of email addresses.

Google redirects all emails to all possible variations of your email address to your main account.

For example, if your email address is [email protected], all emails send to the following addresses will be redirected to your main email account.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

This is a really good feature, since you can register on websites with different email addresses and get all emails imported to one inbox, with NO setup at all.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10313?hl=en-GB&ctx=mail

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I didn't know about that. Can't you also use a + or something for adding text to your e-mail address?

sv01

Slow but sure
I didn't know about that. Can't you also use a + or something for adding text to your e-mail address?
yes, we can add many more variation.

Here are two different ways you can modify your Gmail address and still get your mail:

Append a plus ("+") sign and any combination of words or numbers after your email address. For example, if your name was [email protected], you could send mail to [email protected] or [email protected].

Insert one or several dots (".") anywhere in your email address. Gmail doesn't recognize periods as characters in addresses -- we just ignore them. For example, you could tell people your address was [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected]. (We understand that there has been some confusion about this in the past, but to settle it once and for all, you can indeed receive mail at all the variations with dots.)
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Most GMail users don't know about this, your single email account = tens (if not, hundreds) of email addresses.

Spammers know it however.  There have been days when I've received 10K+ identical spam emails in my google apps account all addressed to different names...the spam filter catches most of them but it's still annoying.

Neat. I hate GMail a little less now.
Gmail will let in 10K+ identical spam emails but it blocks content their spam filter has determined is spam (logwatch and rkhunter reports from one of my servers are currently being bounced by gmail because it thinks they're spam but luckily those are the only things from that server that gmail bounces.)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Gmail will let in 10K+ identical spam emails but it blocks content their spam filter has determined is spam (logwatch and rkhunter reports from one of my servers are currently being bounced by gmail because it thinks they're spam but luckily those are the only things from that server that gmail bounces.)
I never said I liked GMail. ;) But for my main e-mail account on GMail, I've never received a spam e-mail in my inbox since I switched to it a few years back nor have I ever had legitimate e-mails sent to spam before (except for sites that do not have correctly configured mail servers). Now my Google Apps account is a different story and I had to setup certain filters to stop blocking some e-mails at spam from certain websites but the spam that gets delivered to my inbox is still only one or two a month during a bad month.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
This makes sense.  Always wondered why my first.middle.last@ email address always got mail for firstmiddlelast@

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
This use to be a HUGE problem in the realm of sign ups until developers knew about it. I know WHMCS had to add filter for that since it was causing a huge fraud issue.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Yeah, this is still useful for signing up to services multiple times with 'unique' mail addresses

fixidixi

well my brother has a problem with this: he has an address like this: [email protected]

another man already registered [email protected] (back then when gmail did not handle .-s this way and you needed an invite to register an account :) )

now he gets some of that mans mail and some of his land on the other mans account :%

trewq

Verified Provider
Outlook.com hasn't even been around for 5 years (not even 2). It's also pretty fantastic. You might want to try it before bashing it.
Wasn't bashing, just commenting. I thought outlook.com was just a rebrand of Hotmail.

amuck-landowner