amuck-landowner

Good ol' debate OpenVZ vs KVM - Why yes, why not?

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Are you sure? OpenVZ can be oversold to insane levels, lowering its cost. Meanwhile, KVM (for the most part) can't be, meaning you can't keep it as low of cost.

HostXNow

The good thing about OpenVZ for provider and end user is Kernelcare can automatically keep all containers hosted on the VPS node secure. With KVM this has to be done on each VM.

KVM is best if you want to use full functionally of CloudLinux regarding LVE limits, otherwise, I would usually choose OpenVZ which is generally faster with reputable providers.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
The good thing about OpenVZ for provider and end user is Kernelcare can automatically keep all containers hosted on the VPS node secure. With KVM this has to be done on each VM.

Which is also the worst thing about it, well not only that. OVZ is fine providing you are happy that you do not need control over the Kernel, privacy is not an issue and so on.

maounique

privacy is not an issue

If privacy is an issue, i.e. you do not want the host to be able to read your files, you host at home/use proxies for your home content. There is no form of hosting that I know of, which allows for visitors to see the files but not the host's admins and even more. You can share an encrypted file, separated from the key, for example, but that is not really public hosting, more like p2p with an intermediary.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I prefer KVM. Unless it means "any reinstall means firing up the Debian installer" in which case I am sad.

I see more hosts with KVM reinstall templates these days but not nearly as universal as OpenVZ.

maounique

I see more hosts with KVM reinstall templates these days but not nearly as universal as OpenVZ.

Well, in case of OVZ there is no choice, only a failed romanian host (phase-7) had the option to mount ISOs for OVZ, many people go to KVM for the installation flexibility, partitioning, even encryption although it does not help anything.
For sure there are cases for templated KVM installs too, so, having both and leaving the choice to the customer is better.
Best would be to be able to mount your own ISO and create own template, this is one of the main reasons for IWStack.

nelsahost

What is better..OVZ or KVM...Well it depend,when it comes perfomance OVZ is winner and also has many other cool features and adventages,but if also has many disadventages expecually from end user point of view(user who consider to buy VPS),so it depend from whom point of view we are considering this and also for what is intended.
From provider/vendor perspective it is first choice for Linux virtualized infrastucture and mine first choice,in case when provider need Linux virtualized infrastucture for own needs OVZ is always first choice....you get only OVZ adventages and in same time main disadventages are excluded....since no one will resell to itself :) .
Now it is compltetly different story if look this from VPS provider perspective who will sell VPSs to diffirent users with different level of skills and different intention.First problem can ,and in most case they do, make VPS provider it self with overselling service more than 20% which is generally considered to be safe to go,but that is not only problem,it is one thing when provider/vendor need linux virtualized infrastucture for itself,but t is completly different story when you have 50 different users with totaly different needs, OVZ share kernel which mean it is not always possible to satisfy every one needs when it comes kernel level.
So,at the end it is all about your needs...both have adventages and disantventages

amuck-landowner