amuck-landowner

Google buys Nest

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA – JANUARY 13, 2014 — Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to buy Nest Labs, Inc. for $3.2 billion in cash.

Nest’s mission is to reinvent unloved but important devices in the home such as thermostats and smoke alarms. Since its launch in 2011, the Nest Learning Thermostat has been a consistent best seller--and the recently launched Protect (Smoke + CO Alarm) has had rave reviews.

Larry Page, CEO of Google, said: “Nest’s founders, Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, have built a tremendous team that we are excited to welcome into the Google family. They’re already delivering amazing products you can buy right now--thermostats that save energy and smoke/CO alarms that can help keep your family safe. We are excited to bring great experiences to more homes in more countries and fulfill their dreams!”

Tony Fadell, CEO of Nest, said: “We’re thrilled to join Google. With their support, Nest will be even better placed to build simple, thoughtful devices that make life easier at home, and that have a positive impact on the world.”

Nest will continue to operate under the leadership of Tony Fadell and with its own distinct brand identity. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US. It is expected to close in the next few months.

About Google Inc.
Google is a global technology leader focused on improving the ways people connect with information. Google’s innovations in web search and advertising have made its website a top internet property and its brand one of the most recognized in the world.
http://investor.google.com/releases/2014/0113.html

Now anyone who has a Nest learning thermostat will find Google+ making its way onto it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
Well this is interesting, I just bought one last week. I guess I can now post my apartment temperatures on Google+.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
ahhh WTF?

Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577
by Nest
1,807 customer reviews
| 219 answered questions Price: $249.00 & FREE Shipping. Details
$249 for a thermostat so I can connect it to smartphone?   Count me ummm oddly wondering why.

Why @ryanarp would you want to post your air temps on Google?

Didn't Google de-invest in power meter monitoring intrusions in homes?  

Smart thermostats are like $50~.  Other $200 can buy a lot of toys.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
ahhh WTF?

$249 for a thermostat so I can connect it to smartphone?   Count me ummm oddly wondering why.

Why @ryanarp would you want to post your air temps on Google?

Didn't Google de-invest in power meter monitoring intrusions in homes?  

Smart thermostats are like $50~.  Other $200 can buy a lot of toys.
I have no need to "post my temps" that was more or less a joke :) I got a high Electric Bill, I decided I needed to have a little bit better handle on making sure my thermostat wasn't running when it shouldn't be. Since sometimes I leave the house and I am forgetful to change things, I find it nice to be able to turn off my AC from my phone. Also to see what the current temp in my apartment is so I know if I need to get it running a hour before I come home. Also auto away and stuff makes sure when I am not around I am not using energy. It has a lot of very neat features. So if this brings my electric bill back down to 40 and 50 bucks vs the $160 to $200 bills I had this winter using a dummy thermostat that probably ran most of the day. I would say it is worth the money. Also little known fact, some of the bigger electric companies will actually pay in full for this device, and even send them directly to your home. 

https://nest.com/energy-partners/

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ryan = Texas + winter electric heat ehh?

Yeah it has some benefits.   At $249, it's massively over priced though.

Cost savings would be possible with digital thermostat.  Most folks have M-F predictable schedule.  That's where the savings come in - when not home in mass.

I see devices like these and think, well, I should start cobbling things together :)  Last thermostat I bought, I complained about price... Guess I feel like I got a bargain.

$3 billion for a company that has this and not much else selling... ehh yeah... silly times at Google.

peterw

Google needed someone knowing how to build household appliances with good design. Like Boston Dynamics, Holomni or Meka Robotics for Robotics. And Channel Intelligence or BufferBox for package delivery. And Motorola Mobility for phones. And now Nest.

Google does not know hardware but knows what company it has to buy to start business in a new industrial sector. Appliances will produce a lot of personal information. Heating and light, the fridge and oven.

What did you buy, what do you eat and when. When are you at home, when outside. This information is not for the CIA but for the engergy industry. If google would have access to 50% of all electronic devices in the US households they can predict when what amount of energy is needed. And what ads for food can be sold.

BBGN-Doug

Verified Provider
I have two Nest thermostats (two houses where one is basically a summer vacation house only) & the new Nest carbon monoxide detector and they're great.

I'm curious as to why Google is reaching further into Homes with their acquisition of Nest, however, I hope they don't start sending the data to the EPA to show them how much energy I consume ;) in the summer with central air. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Funny thing is.. had any other company done this, I probably wouldn't have spared it a second thought beyond "Helping a smaller company push a good product, nicely done".  Google crams far too much into our lives as-is though.. it's getting to the point of forced shoehorning.

BBGN-Doug

Verified Provider
Funny thing is.. had any other company done this, I probably wouldn't have spared it a second thought beyond "Helping a smaller company push a good product, nicely done".  Google crams far too much into our lives as-is though.. it's getting to the point of forced shoehorning.
We don't have to buy & use their products.  By continuing to purchase from them they think what they're doing is beneficial. 

Damian

Verified Provider
I hope that Google improves the Nest's track record. I was looking at them, but read a few too many negative reviews on them. Sure, any popular product will have a few bad reviews, and there's a large pile of crazy people out there, but there were a few too many negative reviews with bad ramifications (frozen pipes, overheated house, etc) to deter me from it.

BBGN-Doug

Verified Provider
I hope that Google improves the Nest's track record. I was looking at them, but read a few too many negative reviews on them. Sure, any popular product will have a few bad reviews, and there's a large pile of crazy people out there, but there were a few too many negative reviews with bad ramifications (frozen pipes, overheated house, etc) to deter me from it.
I've had my first Nest for over 2 years and installed the second in my house a year ago, what types of questions do you have? Remember the Nest is only a Thermostat at the end of the day, it could have been issues with the furnace or other systems within the house.  However, I can attest to the latest software upgrade they did when the compressor in my air conditioner outside caused the Nest to shut off the feet because of extreme temperatures.  Unfortunately, those extreme temperatures were the reason why I was running my heat! Their solution (temporary) was to remove the wiring for the air conditioning at this time.  

EricGregory

Ads will now be served based on the temperature at which you keep your home.  They'll probably also use the data to determine when you're home or not so they can better target you.

amuck-landowner