amuck-landowner

GVH Terminates Cloud Hosting And Moving Out From Buffalo

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
GVH sent out an email to the clients about their crap...

we will be upgrading our srv3 clients and moving all clients on srv3 to a brand new pure SSD server in Chicago, Illinois, USA (Central).
What about buffaloooooooo???

as our Buffalo, NY upstream cloud hosting provider has decided to be uncooperative with us.
LOL... The same thing will happen to BUF VPS'.

This server unfortunately will not be in the cloud (We're going to be discontinuing our offerings of cloud hosting in all locations with the exception of Los Angeles, and deploy Pure SSD servers across all the locations we offer)
Running out of funds??? haha.

Full email:

GVH said:
Greetings Valued Clients,

This email is being sent out to you today to notify you that we will be upgrading our srv3 clients and moving all clients on srv3 to a brand new pure SSD server in Chicago, Illinois, USA (Central). We understand that there has been recent issues with the performance on srv3 even after the upgrades that have been made on it and we've decided to move all srv3 clients (And later on, srv5 clients) to pure SSD servers in Chicago, IL as our Buffalo, NY upstream cloud hosting provider has decided to be uncooperative with us.

srv3 clients will be moved to a server with the following specifications:

Intel Xeon E5-2620 Processor (6 cores physical, 12 logical cores)
8x 128GB Intel SSD Drives in LSI Hardware RAID-10 w/ Battery Backup Unit
32GB DDR3 ECC RAM

This server unfortunately will not be in the cloud (We're going to be discontinuing our offerings of cloud hosting in all locations with the exception of Los Angeles, and deploy Pure SSD servers across all the locations we offer), however though we are confident and will guarantee you that the performance of this new server will be far more optimized and ideal than the current server.

The migration is scheduled to take place on Saturday, Februrary 1, 2014 and we will be sending out an email to notify you when the migration begins. As there are a large amount of accounts on srv3, the process may take a while (possibly a few days). Further information will be included in the upcoming email to be sent out before the migration begins.

If anyone has any questions regarding this, please let us know by ticketing in to our customer service department and we'll always be more than happy to help.

Kind Regards,

The GreenValueHost Team
What do you think??

P.S All credits to @Kadar

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
What do I think?

#1:  "our Buffalo, NY upstream cloud hosting provider has decided to be uncooperative with us"

Who exactly is that "upstream cloud hosting provider".  The old "cloud" IPs in Buffalo were assigned to HVH.  The new ones in Chicago are assigned to HVH.  This reads more like "we decided to cut costs by eliminating OnApp and /or CloudLinux licensing fees"

#2 "Intel Xeon E5-2620 Processor,  32GB DDR3 ECC RAM"

New world's record for least RAM in an E5. IANAP (I am not a provider) and the 4 E5's I have (2 are for my company's websites, 2 are our company intranet) have 64GB-128GB each. 

#3. "cloud"

Not addressed to GVH specifically, but the next person who calls the combo of OnApp/CloudLinux on a single server with local storage a "cloud" or "cloud hosting" can expect a knock on the door from my baseball bat wielding goons.  I'm still undecided on which hosting industry marketing gimmick annoys me the most: the time tested "unlimited" or the misuse of the term "cloud"

What do I think (TL;DR)? : sigh...

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So, SRV3 = ServerMania in Buffalo....   That's all I think they have with ServerMania.

CC has had server supply issues for past month.  No clue why.   So he probably got what he could, probably a client moved out, repurposed server.

I got on his and nearly everyone else's cloud BS a while back... Have multiple switches, a SAN or similar distributed storage with real high speed ports...  multiple on demand/on fail redundancy.... Nah...

It's OnApp --- Xen made pretty...  meh...

Server with all SSD storage...  probably superior.

Moving from BUF to CHI... hopefully he wasn't selling to customers in BUF-TOR area that cared about location.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Who exactly is that "upstream cloud hosting provider".  The old "cloud" IPs in Buffalo were assigned to HVH.  The new ones in Chicago are assigned to HVH.  This reads more like "we decided to cut costs by eliminating OnApp and /or CloudLinux licensing fees"
HVH=CC
DomainBop said:
#2 "Intel Xeon E5-2620 Processor,  32GB DDR3 ECC RAM"

New world's record for least RAM in an E5. IANAP (I am not a provider) and the 4 E5's I have (2 are for my company's websites, 2 are our company intranet) have 64GB-128GB each.
LOL

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What is even the IP range on the shared hosting?  Anyone?   I am going from memory.  

Only company I know / have / remember with OnApp offering in Buffalo is ServerMania...  history of those folks and CC hehe... anything could be right/wrong/not changed on IPs there.  

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
CC has had server supply issues for past month.  No clue why.   So he probably got what he could, probably a client moved out, repurposed server.
It could be due to manufacturing delays.  SeFlow has been completely out of E3's too for the past few weeks...new stock due within the next 1-2 weeks.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
192.157.58.106 is SRV3 (only shared server that I know of)

New IP is 205.234.159.58 a CC owned IP
Interesting IP info...

NetRange: 192.157.58.64 - 192.157.58.127
CIDR: 192.157.58.64/26
OriginAS:
NetName: BATE-MEDIA-INC
NetHandle: NET-192-157-58-64-1
Parent: NET-192-157-48-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
RegDate: 2013-02-05
Updated: 2013-02-05
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-192-157-58-64-1

CustName: Bate Media Inc
Address: 2645 shadipur main bazar
City: Halifax
StateProv: NS
PostalCode: B3K-6R9
RegDate: 2013-02-05
Updated: 2013-02-05
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/customer/C03308569

2645 shadipur main bazar?  That's not in Halifax, Nova Scotia, that's in  New Delhi, India.

Bizarre.   No cleanup on the SWIP info when returned to B2... None when reused.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Colocrossing have been floating details of a cloud for a while.  Is it possible they are offering it to preferred partners?

http://blog.colocrossing.com/?p=209
Last week I posted in one of the CC/HVH threads that ColoCrossing wasn't known for its security and that link proves it.

http://blog.colocrossing.com/readme.html  Wordpress v3.51 > TL;DR a shitload of vulnerabilities

A few of the issues with that version (from Secunia):

A weakness and multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in WordPress, which can be exploited by malicious users to disclose certain system information and bypass certain security restrictions and by malicious people to conduct spoofing and cross-site scripting attacks, bypass certain security restrictions, and cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
http://secunia.com/advisories/53676/
 A weakness, a security issue, and two vulnerabilities have been reported in WordPress, which can be exploited by malicious users to conduct script insertion attacks, bypass certain security restrictions, and compromise a vulnerable system and by malicious people to conduct spoofing attacks.
http://secunia.com/advisories/54803/

LOL.  The blog shares an IP address with ns1.velocity-servers.net and the day care center (Countrypark.com)

tchen

Last week I posted in one of the CC/HVH threads that ColoCrossing wasn't known for its security and that link proves it.

http://blog.colocrossing.com/readme.html  Wordpress v3.51 > TL;DR a shitload of vulnerabilities

A few of the issues with that version (from Secunia):

LOL.  The blog shares an IP address with ns1.velocity-servers.net and the day care center (Countrypark.com)
The 3.5.1 advisories all relate to user generated content.  Their blog doesn't allow signups from what I can tell.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
#3. "cloud"

Not addressed to GVH specifically, but the next person who calls the combo of OnApp/CloudLinux on a single server with local storage a "cloud" or "cloud hosting" can expect a knock on the door from my baseball bat wielding goons.  I'm still undecided on which hosting industry marketing gimmick annoys me the most: the time tested "unlimited" or the misuse of the term "cloud"
Most hosts just changes their web hosting service "X" to cloud hosting because it sounded better.

Kris

GVH should get their own IP allocations if they're serious at this point. An XX-Small fee from ARIN is cheap enough to stay away from CC IPs. 

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
GVH should get their own IP allocations if they're serious at this point. An XX-Small fee from ARIN is cheap enough to stay away from CC IPs. 
...but they don't need their own IPs because GVH has their own  infrastructure that is so wonderful that other low end hosts  are willing to enter into a financial partnership with them to access their infrastructure!

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/21091/hostus-solutions-ltd-partners-with-greenvaluehost

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HostUS Solutions Ltd (http://hostus.us), a premier UK-based web hosting solutions provider, is pleased to announce that we have officially established a financial partnership with Green Value Hosting, Inc (GreenValueHost) to further expand the service offerings of HostUS and make our services more available a number of US nationwide locations.

HostUS will leverage GreenValueHost's diverse infrastructure to provide our clients with it's own independently unique SSD Web Hosting, SSD Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated hosting services in popular locations such as Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle, Buffalo, and Chicago. In addition to leveraging GreenValueHost's diverse infrastructure, HostUS will also leverage GreenValueHost's highly trained, knowledgeable, and populous customer service team to provide our clients with a highly sought after 10-minute average support ticket response times and prompt resolution times.

Jonathan Nguyen, President of Operations of GreenValueHost and new Vice President of Operations of HostUS Solutions Ltd said in regards to this new partnership,

"GreenValueHost is delighted to extend a warm welcome to HostUS as a new part of the GreenValueHost family of companies. We have always been dedicated to providing our customers with affordable, high quality, and high performance hosting services at low low prices that we think every customer deserves. In our presence in HostUS Solutions Ltd, it will be no different. We're going to work hard to make HostUS an all-in-one brand offering all the services anyone looking for hosting could possibly ever want, and we're going to succeed."

Existing HostUS services in Atlanta will remain intact and HostUS will remain an independent, privately owned premium company. Our new services, locations, and product lines are currently still being worked on internally and updates regarding these new imporvements to our company will be pushed out as soon as possible. With this new financial partnership with GreenValueHost, we all at HostUS look forward to a bright future filled with many great years of hosting experiences yet to come.

About HostUS:

HostUS Solutions Ltd. was founded in 2012 by Alexander McNeil with a mission to exceed excellence in providing industry leading Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Web Hosting, and Virtual Private Server Hosting services. HostUS today is a company hosting thousands of websites from hundreds of clients all over the world. HostUS is a customer centric company and we are truly here to stay for the long term; we care about our clients and our commitment to providing our clients with the best quality services available will always be our priority.
Dr. Mike said:

I am pretty sure his dad put him on a timeout. :)
Doesn't look like he's on a timeout. :p

edit:

HostUS Solutions Ltd. was founded in 2012 by Alexander McNeil
...and the only director is Elaine McNeil so this GVH/HUS partnership is really a marriage of equals in terms of the two companies' corporate setup.  I'm assuming that HUS Elaine is the only director for the same reason Lance incorporated GVH.  FYI, the legal age to form a company in the UK is 16...

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Oh jesus. I can't believe what I'm reading :|

Mind you - this could get very interesting, very fast. The whole "President of" "Vice President of" crap doesn't wash when it's a legally registered company here in the UK.

amuck-landowner