amuck-landowner

heads up: kernel regression in CentOS 2.6.32 and OpenVZ 2.6.18/2.6.32 kernels creates local DoS (reb

jarland

The ocean is digital
Doesn't mean we work for free.. and no amount of caffeine or liquor is going to make me start believing that we should function as a free, public helpdesk <_<
Invoice me for every time I've asked Fran for advice and I'll pay that with a smile :)

People should be paid for what they do, Fran just does so much awesomeness that the list would probably crash WHMCS :p

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Is the 2.6.18 kernel line affected? Namely the latest stable version kernel.
Yus.

RHEL 2.6.32 is a complete cluster fuck since it has so much crap backported. I simply can't get a ksplice to generate properly. I had to change how some of the structs were handled

Right when I think I have it figured out? it blows up again.

Francisco

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
RH still claims they can't reproduce this.  Whatever.

This is CVE-2013-2224

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
RHEL 2.6.32 is a complete cluster fuck since it has so much crap backported.
I wasn't able to get hemlock.c to run successfully on Debian 6, which also uses 2.6.32.  This leads me to believe the vulnerability is specific to RHEL's kernel series.  I bet some of their modifications opened the possibility of this vulnerability.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I wasn't able to get hemlock.c to run successfully on Debian 6, which also uses 2.6.32.  This leads me to believe the vulnerability is specific to RHEL's kernel series.  I bet some of their modifications opened the possibility of this vulnerability.
If you have a bunch of kernels to try, try something from the 2.6.39 range.

A long time ago I had a developer work on a fairly large addition to the .32 kernels and he went on a huge rant about how RHEL's .32 is pretty much .39.

Francisco

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I'll build a 2.6.39 kernel and try it out in a bit if I can spare some free time.

eva2000

If you have a bunch of kernels to try, try something from the 2.6.39 range.

A long time ago I had a developer work on a fairly large addition to the .32 kernels and he went on a huge rant about how RHEL's .32 is pretty much .39.

Francisco
Has anyone tried CentOS with Oracle Linux 6 UEK 2.6.39 kernel (3.0.16 mainline) ?

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
RedHat has confirmed it is an RHEL-specific regression caused by a badly done rebase.

amuck-landowner