amuck-landowner

Home security systems?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Anyone want to recommend a good setup? Namely looking for two cameras, for the front/back of the house. One on the porch to see the UPS/FedEx man drop off packages at my doorstep, the other for the back facing the yard. Preferably something that I can also stream from my phone if I needed to. Can build a storage device for the cameras, or if they come with one, cool. I really know nothing about all of this.

Figured a couple of these:

87509665_616.jpg

Plus a couple of these signs (haha):

nmVUAvk.jpg

That should be enough to deter any breaking in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Verified Provider
Ah, when I read the topic of "home security system", I was thinking more along the lines of something like http://simplisafe.com/ instead of just having some video cameras. I have two SimpliSafe systems and quite like them.

Regarding a home video system ( :p  ) I utilize http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome with some USB cameras connected to various Raspberry Pis. I do not like this system, as the RPi does not have enough 'bandwidth' to both record video off USB, then send that video over wireless concurrently. I'm probably going to upgrade to wireless IP cameras instead.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ah, when I read the topic of "home security system", I was thinking more along the lines of something like http://simplisafe.com/ instead of just having some video cameras. I have two SimpliSafe systems and quite like them.

Regarding a home video system ( :p  ) I utilize http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome with some USB cameras connected to various Raspberry Pis. I do not like this system, as the RPi does not have enough 'bandwidth' to both record video off USB, then send that video over wireless concurrently. I'm probably going to upgrade to wireless IP cameras instead.
Well, the house is on a hillside so the back windows are elevated off the ground by about 15 feet. The front windows can be secured with those alarms that send off those ear piercing pulsating sirens when opened. Figured I could use one of those door wedges for the doors that do the same.

http://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop pricing is actually very reasonable! Thanks for the link.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
My Ruger .44 longbarrel is my home security system.  Looking down that 11" barrel, and the sound of that 60 year old hammer mechanism drawing back is far more terrifying than any shotgun pump.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My Ruger .44 longbarrel is my home security system.  Looking down that 11" barrel, and the sound of that 60 year old hammer mechanism drawing back is far more terrifying than any shotgun pump.
Well I've got a chrome S&W .45 as my main defender of the castle, and I go to the range. Got other toys too. But that's after the security system has been breached :p

tonysala87

I have:

- simplisafe

- dropcam(.com) 

- german shepherd

- 2x glock17 in our bedside tables

if the camera, the security system, and the dog all fail, then god please bless my bullets.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
We have a huge dog, and failing that, a Mossberg 550 in the part of the house where I usually am.

happel

Sounds like a safe place to live, that country of yours. Is it common to have a home security system in the USA? Or are you guys being paranoid? :)

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Sounds like a safe place to live, that country of yours. Is it common to have a home security system in the USA? Or are you guys being paranoid? :)
Well, I do not have a security system, and this would be my approach living in, say, Norway, for example, as well.  While European countries do a better job at intervening prior to people choosing to participate in criminal behaviour, there is still a risk that you will have some crazy person come bother you that you don't want around.

Our main reason for being armed is that traditionally, police have had less than stellar response times for incidents where we live.

jarland

The ocean is digital
It's just a different way of living. The threat is everywhere but in general, as a culture, we don't expect other people to protect us. Given that people are so consistently corrupt and selfish all over the world, it's not unreasonable to feel most comfortable taking care of yourself. Common saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

On another note, I make all my security. I prefer unorthodox methods and redundant power and network. Always keep people guessing, always have a backup plan... Or two.

tonysala87

We have retards calling 911 over happy meal disputes, thus we can't rely on a fast police response time. It takes 30 seconds to force entry into a home, it takes ~7-15 minutes for cops to show up. A lot of criminals here are armed, on drugs, or both.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383757/Man-calls-police-McDonalds-hamburgers-instead-seven--gets-arrested.html

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
No one here in the US has any regard for human life, we all just murder each other, it's basically a post-apocalyptic wasteland with marginally better roads

Damian

Verified Provider
It's just a different way of living. The threat is everywhere but in general, as a culture, we don't expect other people to protect us. Given that people are so consistently corrupt and selfish all over the world, it's not unreasonable to feel most comfortable taking care of yourself. Common saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself."
This. The guv'ment wants you to feel safe and secure, but it's not realistic. 

it's basically a post-apocalyptic wasteland with marginally better roads
Here in the central states, we don't even have marginally better roads  :D

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Here in the central states, we don't even have marginally better roads  :D

This is true, I remember watching friends trekking across the world of Fallout 3 and thinking to myself "wow, I wish the state of Indiana could get its shit together"

jarland

The ocean is digital
No one here in the US has any regard for human life, we all just murder each other, it's basically a post-apocalyptic wasteland with marginally better roads
Lol I saw your name pop up and knew "oh look I bet he posted some cliche anti-American teenage angst filled rant."

Called it! Like flies on a horse's ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

happel

Well, I do not have a security system, and this would be my approach living in, say, Norway, for example, as well.  While European countries do a better job at intervening prior to people choosing to participate in criminal behaviour, there is still a risk that you will have some crazy person come bother you that you don't want around.

Our main reason for being armed is that traditionally, police have had less than stellar response times for incidents where we live.

While I believe crime numbers are a little bit lower in the EU, I don't think they differ that much. We do have a more equal distribution of wealth and a (bit expensive) system of social services for the poor, which traditionally prevents people having to steal for a living. Unfortunately the number of break ins (and the like) over here is on the rise due to the EU expanding eastward to less wealthy countries with higher crime rates.

What I see on television and read on US news sites, is that the level of violence seems to be much higher in the US than over here. I guess it's a vicious circle caused by both law enforcement and criminals. Let's for example compare the armament of a typical British police officer (no gun, baton) with an American (gun, can of mace, maybe a taser) and then add a shoplifter to the equation. The British shoplifter only has to run faster than the police to get away, the American thief on the other hand has to match the firearm of the police officer to stand a chance. Creating a more dangerous situation for the shop personnel and bystanders, while the status quo between the criminal and law enforcement is the same.

Bottom line, if I was born in and living in the US I would probably own a gun too.

On another note, I make all my security. I prefer unorthodox methods and redundant power and network. Always keep people guessing, always have a backup plan... Or two.
You're probably right about culture being a factor. I suppose most Americans are much more security and threat focused than the average (western) european. I've only been in a possibly dangerous situation maybe twice in my life (27yrs) and thus don't even think about being on guard in my daily life. I'm not sure if making plans for every possible bad situation you can encounter is going to help anyway, chances are you're getting robbed or have your house being broken into despite your every precaution anyway. I do lock the front door at night (apartment) and look out for pickpockets when in a crowd but that's about it. And I like it that way, I'm very annoyed with our current administration, they're encouraging fear and pursuing more repression based on that war on terrorism crap.

We have retards calling 911 over happy meal disputes, thus we can't rely on a fast police response time. It takes 30 seconds to force entry into a home, it takes ~7-15 minutes for cops to show up. A lot of criminals here are armed, on drugs, or both.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383757/Man-calls-police-McDonalds-hamburgers-instead-seven--gets-arrested.html
Talking about emergency services mess ups, we've had two big 112 outages this year, each lasting several hours.. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Lots of SimpliSafe promo on this thread.  Interesting systems, but the hardware you have to buy isn't low cost enough - actually rather expensive all considering.

I've tinkered with cameras here and there for a few years.

Generally you want a pan and tilt camera with zoom functionality.   Infrared / night vision is a good should have feature unless you are lighting up all of your outside all night.

There are plenty of IP based cameras out there with built in servers and/or standard video streaming.  Pretty good option for DIY and building something good and still useful in the future.

Point of sale purchasing and wide availability I'd look at Foscam FI8918W and other models.

These cameras are only as good as the software you are running them into to make sense of the data.

Where I am, there is tons of foot traffic, so motion sensors based on video frames is a constant interruption and motion based recording blows up into huge collection of daily files.  I'd be looking at physical motion sensors to go within your yards to double up and detect human movement.   Those come with a an audible door bell or other sound alert and generally are very affordable.

Hope that helps some.   

amuck-landowner