amuck-landowner

Home security systems?

Eric1212

Verified Provider
Whoa. I feel bad for the people who live in such an unsafe place, they rely on guns. :( how sad.

I have some webcams hooked up to a raspberry Pi, streaming video to RTMP and recording on server side. Motion detection can be enabled, and I can access the feed via iPhone. Neat little devices.

I don't need them for security, but nice to see who's at the door when I'm too far away. :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Whoa. I feel bad for the people who live in such an unsafe place, they rely on guns. :( how sad.

I have some webcams hooked up to a raspberry Pi, streaming video to RTMP and recording on server side. Motion detection can be enabled, and I can access the feed via iPhone. Neat little devices.

I don't need them for security, but nice to see who's at the door when I'm too far away. :)
Well, I can't speak for others but I also like to target shoot. It's very therapeutic and very rewarding as you progress. I like to go to the shooting range a couple times a month, it's great to witness better groupings and better accuracy. It's not as easy as they make it look in the films :p

But of course, whats fun as a sport and out on the range in a controlled environment can also be what saves your life within your home or walking around.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"Whoa. I feel bad for the people who live in such an unsafe place, they rely on guns. how sad."
It's usually city dwellers who should have a firearm handy.  Mass crimes reside there.

However, rural folks depend on being self protected as wait times for the county sheriff or state police could take, oh an hour in places.

No one gave folks the owners manual.  You are responsible for your own well being.  Just like you are responsible to eat, bath, exercise, etc.  It's self preservation.

bizzard

Here, in my place, the security systems are just starting to be popular and mostly deployed in flats and apartments in cities. Since my company is based at Kochi, I live in a rented house there with my friends and there is no security systems at all. Thieves would really think twice before entering a house where 10 bachelors stay and most of then will be awake, in front of laptops during odd night hours. During day time, there won't be anything valuable except our clothes and kitchen utensils.

My family lives in a village and I haven't heard of anyone there installing security cameras yet. The only security there is my poor small dog, who barks when someone unknown crosses the gate.

In India, to have a licensed gun is a long process and I believe that only less than 1% of the total population has the license to keep a gun.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
That's just making assumptions.  I live in Sportsman's Paradise - it's pretty much a given that everyone down here has at least one firearm.  Combine that with a state law that makes it legal to shoot (to kill) anyone breaking into your home, and shoot (to wound) someone on your property so long as you have a witness to verify you gave them several chances to leave on their own.. this is a VERY safe place to live.  Nobody will break into your home here because they know what's waiting for them.

(Oh, plus add on that most households have hunting dogs.  And gods help you if you ever try to break into a house with a gator dog - the owner's gun is the least of your problems)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I just wanted to update this real quick and sing praise to the surveillance / camera systems company Zmodo.

They produce budget / affordable security systems. I bought a kit from NewEgg last year for Black Friday that included a 4 channel DVR and (4x) 720p IP cameras. The picture is pretty darn good and the night vision works very well in my very dark back yard after I added an external IR floodlight.

Anyhow, what really impressed me was the company's support!

You see, my DVR stopped working. I woke up on some recent morning and my monitor was black and I had no feed from the cameras. Strange. I tried to cycle the power on the DVR. No luck. I tested the power supply and found it to be working but upon closer inspection I noticed the board in the DVR had a scorch mark... (see below)

9RJqedE.jpg

Anyhow, I emailed their support. We exchanged several emails back and forth that day and I got my RMA label sent to me.

I shipped them back the DVR on

Jul 24, 2015 3:25:59 PMShipped/Cross-Shipped Jul 24, 2015 1:30:42 PMPicking-Line1 Jul 24, 2015 1:27:38 PMPacking Jul 24, 2015 1:25:58 PMWaiting Shipment RMA Jul 24, 2015 1:25:32 PMInvoice Jul 24, 2015 1:24:46 PMEdit Jul 24, 2015 1:24:05 PMRMA Tested Jul 24, 2015 1:10:50 PMRMA Tested Jul 23, 2015 1:01:52 PMRMA Received
They received my DVR in their Illinois location on the 23rd, tested it, and shipped it back to me on the 24th. Unsure if I am getting a new unit or if they just fixed the existing one (hoping for a replacement) but I'm impressed with the quick support and turn around.

Just thought I'd share if anyone is interested in Zmodo. Their reviews online are so-so, as can be expected for the price, but their support is top notch in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of the DVR interface but it does what it's supposed to do.

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
If you want a camera system that records and also have network ability we went with a few 4 Channel 720P PoE NVR System with 1TB Hard Drive or if you want get the 8 channel. Works great for night vision and has a app for the phones as well so you can see live video and take snapshots. POE systems are easier to install and managed 1 cat5 cable to each camera.

amuck-landowner