amuck-landowner

Hostages Taken in Sydney

Nick

NSW has asked news outlets to keep it off social media so. but here ya go.

attachicon.gif
sydney.png
Thank you kind sir :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blergh

Verified Provider
You only think ending a life is 'the easy way out' because you've never had to do it yourself.  Once you've looked into someone's eye and ended everything they are by your own hands, regardless of how justified you think it may be, THEN come tell me just how easy it is.
I´m sorry, but that has to be this years most lulzy and pretentious reply. Congratulations you win nothing.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
It's a general Jihadist flag that indicates absolutely no group or organization. Think what you want, but there is no link nor any indication to anyone backing this terrorist.

I'm sure that your years of training and experience in hostage situations is appreciated by the Australian government.
How about we leave the tough decisions to the professionals, because this is a serious matter with dozens (potentially hundreds) of lives at stake.
Can you please enlighten me as to the time you've spent in service, in counter-terrorism, intelligence services and of course, government? Oh, and what qualifies you as a professional, please.

eva2000

yeah scary stuff.. my sister's work place is a 5 minutes walk from Lindt Cafe !  Luckily she's safe

still 14+ hrs into the siege !

Steven F

Verified Provider
Can you please enlighten me as to the time you've spent in service, in counter-terrorism, intelligence services and of course, government? Oh, and what qualifies you as a professional, please.
Where did I ever suggest any course of action, other than to trust what the police and whomever was working on it were doing?

Steven F

Verified Provider
I'm just saying it'd be a lot easier than sitting around trying to "talk the situation down"
https://twitter.com/CarolCNN?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fliveupdate%2Fu2pwph99rvy6%2FLiveUpdate_a46f5b6e-8471-11e4-a7cb-22000b3d81d0%2F0&tw_i=544518841020473345&tw_p=tweetembed

Just so you understand. Hours of discussion by people with training and experience went into this and yet two people still died. Three are in serious condition, which is better than being in critical, but not great. I don't know the exact connotations here (at the Boston Bombing, it meant requiring an amputation, I believe). Imagine what might have happened if they had just jumped in and tried "take the building by force".

Police dressed in bomb gear (and their robots) have entered the building. Hopefully he did not bring real explosives.

RTGHM

https://twitter.com/CarolCNN?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fliveupdate%2Fu2pwph99rvy6%2FLiveUpdate_a46f5b6e-8471-11e4-a7cb-22000b3d81d0%2F0&tw_i=544518841020473345&tw_p=tweetembed

Just so you understand. Hours of discussion by people with training and experience went into this and yet two people still died. Three are in serious condition, which is better than being in critical, but not great. I don't know the exact connotations here (at the Boston Bombing, it meant requiring an amputation, I believe). Imagine what might have happened if they had just jumped in and tried "take the building by force".

Police dressed in bomb gear (and their robots) have entered the building. Hopefully he did not bring real explosives.
ProTip: The gunmen was already known to police before he did this - he was suspected to be terrorist.

Source: A contact with Sydney police

Steven F

Verified Provider
The gunmen, who I will not name, was a Sheikh who was out on bail for some very crazy sexual assault crimes.

He is now dead, as well as two hostages. They are investigating the causes of death.

Nick

I think it's a good outcome however I don't believe the armed defenders were the right ones to go in. Their training is no where near as tough or rigorous as that of the special forces. The outcome could've been much worse.

Steven F

Verified Provider
I think it's a good outcome however I don't believe the armed defenders were the right ones to go in. Their training is no where near as tough or rigorous as that of the special forces. The outcome could've been much worse.
They didn't storm the building because they wanted to. A gunshot was heard and a sniper in the Channel 7 office said "hostage down" into his microphone/radio and as I believe is protocol (once a hostage is injured/killed): they went in.

I'm waiting on more details, though, so I won't speculate about who killed whom (hostage taker or police bullets).

Edit (from Reddit):

My understanding of the situation, based on watching it live, news and police reports is that at about 2am a group of about 5 hostages made a break for it and got outside, the gunman shot at least one hostage inside the cafe, our version of SWAT had a breach plan in place for if they had to respond immediately, and they acted on it. The gunman died, 2 hostages died, one police officer got a stray shotgun pellet in his face but is in good condition, one woman was shot in the shoulder (no information on whether this was intentional or crossfire) and a few other minor injuries.

trewq

Verified Provider
From reports it was TAG East that breached. They are under the 2nd Commando Regiment.

Nick

From reports it was TAG East that breached. They are under the 2nd Commando Regiment.
Ah, makes sense. The article I read this morning just said police so I assumed armed defenders (which here, in NZ is just regular police that volunteer as armed defenders).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Thank goodness this mess ended mostly alright.  Could have been a lot worse.

Did sniper take the perp out or what?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Watch these vids: 

What the hell was I watching there :) ?

Definitely some flash bang devices...  I swear real ammo there too ... and from big long arms, not toy handguns.

The hostages shot, I'd expect them and other injuries due to that crazy volume of firing by police.

Holy farking PTSD from the PD bumrush there.   That's some craziness.

trewq

Verified Provider
What the hell was I watching there :) ?

Definitely some flash bang devices... I swear real ammo there too ... and from big long arms, not toy handguns.

The hostages shot, I'd expect them and other injuries due to that crazy volume of firing by police.

Holy farking PTSD from the PD bumrush there. That's some craziness.
You're watching one of our Tactical assault group (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_assault_group) units and NSW Police breach the Cafe almost immediately after one of the hostages was shot dead.

NSW Police have released a statement saying:

"A critical incident investigation has been launched after three people died and four others were injured during a police operation in Sydney's CBD this morning.

About 2:10am (AEDT) on Tuesday a confrontation occurred between police and a man who had taken a number of people hostage inside a cafe in Martin Place.

Shots were fired during the confrontation

As a result the 50-year-old man was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital.

Another man, aged 34, and a woman, aged 38, were pronounced dead after being taken to hospital.

Two women have been taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, while a male police officer suffered a non-life threatening would to his face from gunshot pellets and was taken to hospital.

Another woman was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound to her shoulder.

A 35-year-old woman was taken to hospital as a precaution."

"Monis was an Iranian cleric on bail for a string of violent offences, including being an accessory to the murder of his wife"

Overall it just seems like one nut job acting like a nut job. Now we have people asking why he was allowed out of jail when it was known he had violent tendencies and hated our country.

amuck-landowner