amuck-landowner

How do you tag someone in a post?

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I've been trying to figure out how to tag people in posts. It's not @Username like it is over on LET, and I haven't found the button for it yet. Anyone want to offer up a suggestion?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good question.   I've been going with the @username so it is clear who I am speaking to.   I do this in minimal forums elsewhere too as a matter of habit.

WIth the @ tagging elsewhere, what functionality exists (i.e. what happens when username gets mentioned)?  Assuming there is feature for user to see all their @ mentions.  Beyond that?  Much of anything?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

See but that doesn't "ping" people.  

So if you just want to mention a user do what MannDude did, but if you want to ping them (assuming they have the notification on) do the following:

MannDude said:

Or something similar which would do this:

MannDude said:
And assuming MannDude has his "Quote me" notification on it'll put a notice in his notification box.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Proper tagging is about the only feature I miss from LET. Just '@username' was much simpler. I'm not aware of any IPB plugin that does this, unfortunately.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
That sure is cumbersome Mr. Pie.
I'll agree with you there.  It's kind of a pain in the ass, but we haven't found a better/easier alternative at the moment.  Also with our huge list of things we have to do this isn't that high on the priority list.  

amuck-landowner