amuck-landowner

How do you type?

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
I always got yelled at by our typing teacher in elementary/middle school for not using the homerow method, but they gave up when I was constantly typing miles faster than everybody else.

Honest opinion, if you can NOT stare at your hands/keyboard while you type and you type at a decent rate, then it doesn't honestly matter.  Never did fully understand why the "home row" was supposedly better.
It's pretty obvious, really: dividing up the keyboard into regions and assigning one finger to each means you can hit more keys in the same amount of time because you have to move any given finger less on average. Can, not necessarily will, but generally most people who are fast typers and don't touch-type "properly" will be faster once they've learned to.

Speaking from experience and that of a few people I know (and assuming our experiences translate to other people at all), if you're interested in learning to touch-type correctly just get a software typing tutor program - preferably one with specific 'lessons' as well as general/specific training routines. Use it for maybe 30 minutes or so to pick up the layout/finger->key mapping etc., then use it for 5-15 minutes each day, and critically, touch-type for all other typing you do. Yes, you will most definitely be excruciatingly slow for a while, but hey, that's good incentive to learn faster. Generally speaking you'll likely be slower for up to a week or so, on par with your old method for a similar amount of time, and then you'll see consistent improvements for several weeks/months - assuming you keep up with actively using a typing tutor each day in addition to touch-typing for normal usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I think I'm going to give that a shot @Shados.

This post was typed very slowly using the home row method.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
It's also worth noting that I was a pianist for years before even knowing what a computer/typewriter was.. I suppose that made the notion of "specific keys per fingers" a lot easier to grasp.

Conversely, I would be very curious to see how fast 'proper' vs 'improper' typists could pick up simple piano songs based on that theory.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I constantly try to stop looking at the keyboard to see what I type but I use the backspace more then any other key.

5n1p

I constantly try to stop looking at the keyboard to see what I type but I use the backspace more then any other key.
"backspace" on keyboard and  "undo" in software are most usable :)

I use all fingers but haven't learn any method how to use it properly and I have stop'd looking at a keyboard after I bought Microsoft ergonomic , it really makes typing easy and makes you use all your fingers.

P.S. I hope you wont flame me because of "Microsoft" in post :D.

mpkossen

It's pretty obvious, really: dividing up the keyboard into regions and assigning one finger to each means you can hit more keys in the same amount of time because you have to move any given finger less on average. Can, not necessarily will, but generally most people who are fast typers and don't touch-type "properly" will be faster once they've learned to.

Speaking from experience and that of a few people I know (and assuming our experiences translate to other people at all), if you're interested in learning to touch-type correctly just get a software typing tutor program - preferably one with specific 'lessons' as well as general/specific training routines. Use it for maybe 30 minutes or so to pick up the layout/finger->key mapping etc., then use it for 5-15 minutes each day, and critically, touch-type for all other typing you do. Yes, you will most definitely be excruciatingly slow for a while, but hey, that's good incentive to learn faster. Generally speaking you'll likely be slower for up to a week or so, on par with your old method for a similar amount of time, and then you'll see consistent improvements for several weeks/months - assuming you keep up with actively using a typing tutor each day in addition to touch-typing for normal usage.
Exactly the way I learned it! I used KTouch to learn it. I was quite frustrated the first two or three days but after a week, I was back at my Hunt & Peck speed. One week later I was faster than ever before.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
I don't really have a method like everyone else does. My small finger is always on the right shift because I use it so often and right thumb on the space bar but my left thumb also follows around going for the space bar some times or control and my left small finger on tab. The rest of my fingers Just go wherever they need to.

sDsB

Svorak (swedish Dvorak) nerd checking in. Using an old and crusty ergonomic keyboard that hasn't been rearranged. As such it is actually impossible for me to do anything but touch type. If I need to type a single letter, I need to put the hands in the right position and let the muscle memory do it's thing.

Not very fast because I have a high error rate. But I had that on QWERTY too, so it doesn't matter.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
"backspace" on keyboard and  "undo" in software are most usable :)

I use all fingers but haven't learn any method how to use it properly and I have stop'd looking at a keyboard after I bought Microsoft ergonomic , it really makes typing easy and makes you use all your fingers.

P.S. I hope you wont flame me because of "Microsoft" in post :D.
Won't flame you at all, I'm a Microsoft person myself... well OS that is .

If I'm at my own computer it's most likely the laptops keyboard that I use, if I'm not typing away on a customers computer, Sometimes a little difference on the layout can make it so much harder. For instance if the enter key is as small as the backspace key or on some keyboards the home/end/pg up/pg dn keys are rearranged.

That makes it harder.

HostUS-Alexander

Verified Provider
ScreenShot-29-00714.png

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It's also worth noting that I was a pianist for years before even knowing what a computer/typewriter was.. I suppose that made the notion of "specific keys per fingers" a lot easier to grasp.

Conversely, I would be very curious to see how fast 'proper' vs 'improper' typists could pick up simple piano songs based on that theory.
Are you like Peter by chance?

>_>

Francisco

amuck-landowner