amuck-landowner

How much would you pay for these?

shovenose

Verified Provider
I know I'm asking the wrong crowd of people since most people here are prior stingy LowEnders and I've already decided on a price based on competitors, calculated based on costs, plus a tad of shovenose randomness.

Anyway, what do you think?

PS: Unmanaged. Mostly HE bandwidth as far as I know. Fairfax, CA location. 

SERVER 1

-CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz 2C/4T

-RAM: 4GB DDR3

-HDD: 500GB

-Network: 5TB 100Mbps

SERVER 2

-CPU: Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz 2C/2T

-HDD: 250GB

SERVER 3

-CPU: Intel Pentium G2010 2.8GHz 2C/2T

-HDD: 1TB

Last edited by a moderator:

sv01

Slow but sure
I've already decided on a price based on competitors, calculated based on costs, plus a tad of shovenose randomness.

just tell us how much you offer these :) and we may give our comment after that

jarland

The ocean is digital
HE bandwidth, desktop CPUs, very low bandwidth allotment. These are the primary factors for the numbers below.

1. $50

2. $25

3. $35

However, the average consumer who isn't going to be found on any of these forums, based on prices that are actually being paid by the biggest hosting companies, I'd say the following could be sold to the right people.

1. $200

2. $80

3. $120

Rough estimates done in my head of course.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Interesting.

Thanks to those that already posted. Hopefully a few more people will chime in. I'll post what I was going for tomorrow morning if I remember otherwise tomorrow evening.

And Jarland, thank you for making me laugh :) Big dedicated server providers (Hivelocity, Softlayer, etc.) are way overpriced it's hilarious, and I plan to try to stop it.

peterw

i3-2100 (3.1 GHz with hyperthreading) beats Pentium G 2010 (2.8 Ghz without hyperthreading), so:

1. $45
2. $20
3. $30

willie

I wouldn't want any non-RAID server.  Have some with 2 drives (software raid ok) and I'll be more interested.  Would also prefer more powerful CPU, say equal to the i5-3570S that OVH has for $50/mo with 2x1TB and 8gb of ram.  Of if RTO for the hard drives is possible, then I'm quite interested.  Matching OVH prices isn't expected but as you say, I'm cheap, so I wouldn't pay too much premium.  I don't care that much about high volume network transit.  I mostly want CPU and storage.

What data center is it? 

XLvps

Also, why do so many dedicated server providers advertise servers with only 1 drive?  Is that the equivalent of the car commercials that show the price of the base model.  Who gets a server without at least Raid 1?

shovenose

Verified Provider
OK well I was thinking the following...

I would have like a 25% off launch promo that the first person using each server would get until they cancel it. Only one drive per server for now until they have paid for themselves then I'd upgrade the RAM on some of the servers like the i3-2100 and G2010 to 16GB and 8GB respectively, and maybe give some of the nicer servers two drives. 

[SIZE=14pt]1.     [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Intel Core i3-3220, 3.3GHz, 2 Cores with HT, 16GB DDR3, 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA - $60/month[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]2.     [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]AMD FX-6200, 3.8GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo, 6 Cores. 8GB DDR3, 1TB 7200RPM 64MB - $70/month[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]3.     [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Intel Core i3-2100, 3.1GHz, 2 Cores with HT, 4GB DDR3, 500GB 5400RPM 8MB SATA - $50/month[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]4.     [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Intel Pentium G2010, 2.8GHz,  2 Cores, 4GB DDR3, 500GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA - $45/month[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]5.     [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] (3) Intel Celeron 847, 1.1GHz, 2 Cores, 4GB DDR3, 250GB 7200RPM 16-32MB SATA - $30/month[/SIZE]

Jon.Fatino

It would be smarter to buy a cheaper dual quad core server and run vms, they would blow those older servers out of the water.

rds100

Verified Provider
i3-3220 and G2010 are not old CPUs, they are good Ivy Bridge CPUs which are currently sold by Intel.

The dual quad core you can buy on the other hand is probably 3-4 years old, if not more.

And the single performance of an i3-3220 or G2010 will be much better than the single thread performance of a L5420 or L5520.

shovenose

Verified Provider
It would be smarter to buy a cheaper dual quad core server and run vms, they would blow those older servers out of the water.
For running VMs, yes.

But if you're NOT doing that, I think these would be a smarter choice. For the most part the hardware is either lightly used by me or brand new (so it's no eBay servers). A lot of the RAM is brand new fresh from the manufacturer's RMA (I had a bunch of dead RAM around here and I sent it all in to get replaced). What I have learned is while I dislike Corsair their RMA is much better than Patriot Memory's. LOL.

Also I think for people that want a more powerful system the AMD FX one is pretty decent. Unfortunately the motherboard doesn't support more than 8GB RAM but a new motherboard could be put in down the road. But I took that one out of my HTPC which i only used like twice.

Cheap dedicated servers are like cheap VPS's - lots of churn/turnover. So there's always opportunities to upgrade/change hardware in between customers.

willie

Where does the hardware come from?  Have you purchased it or what?  The AMD 6200 seems especially odd: if you want an AMD multicore at all, it might as well be an 8350.  I agree that the i3-3220 single core performance is pretty good.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Well yes they are mostly unused desktops I had sitting around put into 2u server cases so some of if it is kinda random.

questions:

would you rather have the Celeron 847, atom dual core, or amd e350?

shovenose

Verified Provider
atom dual core

What datacenter are these in?
For now, my apartment. For later, an office probably in San Rafael.

I've got 8 UPS's, high quality managed switches, a fiber-based network is getting installed directly to the premises with our own ASN (not own IPs, but we'll be using another providers IPs I think), and I'll be around to take care of any problems. So, not any worse than ColoCrossing :p

jarland

The ocean is digital
You know what... Do it bro. Why the hell not try to shake things up and do something crazy? I mean if you're willing to do what it takes to fit a rack with the necessary dressings at a residence and you get all the appropriate permission, fucking do it.

amuck-landowner