amuck-landowner

How to check dns propagation

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
IntoDNS is my favourite for all round DNS, only has their one Romania location checking though.

dano

I just use dig -- so if I am changing an A record, I will change the record, then ask the name server I just changed if it has seen the change.

dig test-record.domain.com A @ns1.test-dns-servers.com

If that looks good,then I will ask some providers like the 4.x.x.x and goog, to see if they have seen it. If not, I look at the TTL, which on the records I do change is quite low, and wait and check these resolvers again. I also check the nameservers I use for recursive dns and they update quickly(not caching for hours as some ISP do).

dcdan

Verified Provider
I was about to say, dig +trace it the only thing you actually need. Intodns seems to cache certain queries so it is not ideal & can create a lot of head scratching when there is actually no issue at all.

SonicVPS

Verified Provider
Yes, use dig if you're on Linux or nslookup on Windows to confirm propagation against specific DNS servers.

I do use MXToolBox though and their subscription is worth if you are, for example an IT provider.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Thank you all.

IntoDNS is decent and helps a lot to get things sorted on DNS records.

Maybe time to build a little tool for that.

BuzzzHost

I agree with using Dig and NsLookup strictly from the command line although 'Cloud Monitor' is a good resource to provide clients with who are seeking understand with DNS to their server/website in regards to a visual approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPC-Sabrina

Yes, use dig if you're on Linux or nslookup on Windows to confirm propagation against specific DNS servers.

I do use MXToolBox though and their subscription is worth if you are, for example an IT provider.
Excellent suggestions for Linux and Windows users for propagation checks.

amuck-landowner