amuck-landowner

How to do payroll taxes for foreign employees?

Foley

I'm looking into starting a web hosting business, but as far as company structuring and planning goes... I have a lot to do and learn. To those who are a US company but have remote employees in other countries, say the UK, India, Australia, etc... how do you pay them and claim it come tax time?

TheLinuxBug

You don't.  In most cases you you hire them as an Independent Contractor then provide them with a 1099 (well in the US) and they pay their own taxes.  Hiring international people as actual employees can get a bit more costly and I am sure takes a lot more doing tax wise.  

You may wish to review the following: http://hrhorizons.nacubo.org/newsletter/past-issues/volume-7-issue-1/hiring-independent-contractors-abroad.html

Along with that, do what @trewq said and contact your accountant for more information as it pertains to your own company.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
^^^ What he said. A IC is the best way to hire people. No costs for you and they're responsible for their own taxes.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Seconding what XFS_Duke said. Just be sure you get a proper invoice from them for every payment and that you keep it for the required time (check your countries tax authorities website for a start).

I would strongly recommend talking to an accountant, their advice is invaluable. If you cant afford an accountant, at-least speak to a book keeper. Although not licensed (or often trained), their advice is often good / right.

NickM

Verified Provider
Trying to call an actual employee an independent contractor is a good way to get the IRS on your ass.  Source: a former employer of mine who tried to claim I was an independent contractor when I was an employee, and ended up losing his business because of it.

qps

Verified Provider
Agree with @NickM - do not try to call an employee an independent contractor.  It's best to consult with an accountant.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Consider this:

Do you give your employee benifits, who pays for tools, office space etc. Additionally who handles the business aspect (are you creating the invoice for them? Thats a no-no). etc

I suspect for most hosting companies, their staff would fall under the independent contractor category. They may even work for multiple companies, or do part-time work in addition.

In Australia there is even a decision making tool for this question. A quick google reveals plenty of resources on the matter for other countries.

NullMind

Verified Provider
However you do it, just don't overlook another few important pieces, NDA, IP and Non-Compete agreements, it's easy to overlook those with a remote employee and then later on find yourself in real trouble.

Carlos

amuck-landowner