amuck-landowner

How to gauge the quality of a provider's network

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Very nice info.  Definitely would like thoughts on what everyone on VPSBoard thinks EGI should add to our mix.

AS18779
That's not a bad mix as-is. Though I'm not a huge fan of nLayer, it looks like you have a nice amount of HE and Level3, which is good. IPv6 is a bit heavy on HE, but then 80% of IPv6 traffic always goes through HE anyway, and they do have a nice network. With the Level3 there too, you're good to go. I am curious about the Black Lotus in there. Is that incoming only for DDoS protection?

egihosting

Verified Provider
Yes, Blacklotus is just for incoming DDOS. Auto-null is not a favorite for a few so Blacklotus gives them another option.

Re-read your post. Cogent and HE together... That's something I'll have my Network team look at.

Thanks again.

Pmadd

nLayer has some occasional weird routing to me so I don't like it very much, but otherwise your network looks great.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I'd like to see some AboveNet if you can get it. A good chunk of Oregon is fed off of AboveNet.

yolo

The circle graphs on bgp.he.net are not the weight of the networks. It doesn't have anything to do with that. 

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
The circle graphs on bgp.he.net are not the weight of the networks. It doesn't have anything to do with that. 
I figured as much, but I'm still not clear on what they do represent. Does HE just make them up?

Last edited by a moderator:

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Networks are constantly changing and evolving some hosts allow equal outbound policy while inbound policy is set to the cheapest network link (great for absorbing DDOS without getting huge bills) some allow equal inbound policy.  Many adjust policy as necessary, mainly outbound path selection, we have very little control over inbound policy, upstreams can strip our prepending or ignore it completely.  I've seen traffic cross Level3 and they dump it to Cogent despite a connection with Level3 and the same network pathing.  Level3 just determined pushing traffic out that link was in their best interests.

ComputerTrophy

We've got a complicated peering contract. Our peers in decreasing order are: Level 3, Zayo/Abovenet and Internap. We have contracts with Zayo and Internap, and Level 3 is a DC contract. We use Cogent and Tier point as backup peers.

amuck-landowner