amuck-landowner

How to use whatsapp from your linux box

chilicuil

Whatsapp uses a modified XMPP protocol to power its service, an Egyptian programer (Tarek Galal) started to work on a client for Blackberry before the company made an agreement with Whatsapp. They agreed on throwing away Tarek's efforts and provide a native client for the platform. Tarek went ahead with his efforts and released Wazapp[0] which contains a cli utility for using the service, since I use this client I packaged it for Debian|Ubuntu. On this tutorial I'll show you how to install, configure and use it.

Before starting you'll need a free (of Whatsapp) number (or reverse engineering your current password), on this tutorial however I'll use a number provided by Twilio[1].

Installing

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:chilicuil/sucklesstools
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install yowsup

Configuring

You'll need to create a new file called ~/.yowsup which should look like this:

phone=[your_complete_number]
id=0000000000
password=

And in other terminal execute:

$ yowsup --requestcode sms

Yowsup will read the data on the ~/.yowsup file and will request a verification code, if you used a real number it should arrive immediately, otherwise (if you're using twilio) you'll need to go to Logs  ▷ Messages.

94.png

And then to Incomming:

95.png

After getting the verification code, you'll be able to register the account

$ yowsup --register code

Whatsapp will return a password (which you'll be able to use everywhere you can install yowsup), the password must be added to  ~/.yowsup (in the password= field), after that you'll be able to send and receive messages from your terminal =)

$ yowsup -l #listen incoming messages
$ yowsup -s XXXXXXXX "message" #send message to XXXXX number
$ yowsup -i XXXXXXXX #start a (basic) chat conversation with  XXXXXXXX number

If you liked this tutorial, rate it =)

[0] http://openwhatsapp.org

[1] http://twilio.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

kunnu

Verified Provider
What is benefit of using this?

I will prefer to use web version but mobile version is much better then web version ;)

amuck-landowner