amuck-landowner

I am MannDude. Ask me stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What sports do you play and watch
Played basketball when I was younger but I was awful. Don't watch sports.

If you could do anything for a living what would it be?
No idea. Just doing whatever allowed me to retire early and live within my means with ease. Something flexible.

How now brown cow?
Not much, getting caught up on stuff.

Why use IPB instead of writing your own forum software in C++/Java/Go like all hardcore web devs do?
I'm horrible at coding. IPBoard, in  hindsight, may not have been the best choice for vpsBoard but it's probably too late to transfer to anything else at this point.

What is the meaning of life?
What an awful question, haha. I don't know. Do what you need to do and try to survive until you die of natural causes / old age instead of some other reason.

Not sure what I thought this would turn out like.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Oh, how do you embed an image in a post when using the mobile theme? BBcode?

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Question 1.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you say your John but only on a Tuesday?

Question 2.

Do you find that your own personal internet has become ironically small these days compared to 10 - 15 years ago when you actually searched and stumbled across man made none dynamic websites, i.e. do you go to the same 4 -5 sites now over and over again, get bored beyond your wildest dreams close facebook, open a new tab then open facebook again and think... shit..... is this really all life has to offer now?

Question 3.

Do you want a part time job and what is the absolute bottom dollar I can pay you? 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'm horrible at coding. IPBoard, in  hindsight, may not have been the best choice for vpsBoard but it's probably too late to transfer to anything else at this point.

What forum software would you have used then?  

Also, do you have any funny story that makes @Chris MIller look like a fool?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Question 1.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you say your John but only on a Tuesday?

Question 2.

Do you find that your own personal internet has become ironically small these days compared to 10 - 15 years ago when you actually searched and stumbled across man made none dynamic websites, i.e. do you go to the same 4 -5 sites now over and over again, get bored beyond your wildest dreams close facebook, open a new tab then open facebook again and think... shit..... is this really all life has to offer now?

Question 3.

Do you want a part time job and what is the absolute bottom dollar I can pay you? 

A1: On a Tuesday? "Your John".

A2: Story of my mundane existence, man. I think we'd all be much better off without the internet.

A3: Haha, I'm good. Would probably be a conflict of interest with my current fulltime job anyhow.

What forum software would you have used then?  

Also, do you have any funny story that makes @Chris MIller look like a fool?
No idea about the forum software. NOT Vanilla. It's nice and basic and clean, but I wasn't going for that. I didn't need it to initially run in a small box. I wanted something more modern. IPB is okay, the backend (I think) is horrible. I can't find shit in the admin area. I'll disable something one day to see how it effects things and then the next day spend an hour looking for it again so I can re-enable it. (Case in point, you no longer see who is viewing a thread. I swear I spent an hour looking how to re-enable that last night and can't find the g'damn setting anywhere in the backend).

Plus we've had some hiccups with the software. Even if one was initiated by me (wrong archiving rules resulted in archiving almost everything), the restoration process was so painful it almost made me want to switch software then.

I like the look of XenForo (or whatever). Discourse looks interesting but not sure it's my cup of tea either.

Ah, Chris Miller. Probably could say a lot, but he's mourning the loss of his uncle right now so trying not to be too much of an ass. I think he'll laugh at this anyway. His farts smell like someone took an old dish cloth, sopped up a bunch of old nasty curdled milk, and then took that milky old dish cloth and dipped it in kerosene.

Can you land me a job too?
Where? I hear A Small Orange is hiring. Good pay, it's an EIG company so you know they're not going to go belly up. Good health insurance. You can volunteer your free time to help in your local community and they'll pay you your hourly rate up to 8 hours a month extra for doing so. (So you can go spend time in a soup kitchen, walking dogs, or reading to the elderly or something and still make some coin doing it) Seems like a great company to work for.

People bitch about keeping prices dirt cheap in this industry, want RAM for like $3/GB, but when you charge reasonable prices for stuff the company can afford to be more than a one or two man crew and pay their workers well. Little rant, but my advice is to not get a job in the low-end industry and try to get a job working for a company that is established outside of it.

What was the best adventure you've ever been on?
Just being a kid. Running through the woods and crawling under stuff and climbing trees and building forts.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
What are your top 5 entries of your life's list of important things/people?

What was your first experience with the internet?

What is your favorit place for holidays?

What is your - if I would have enough time and money - travel destination?

blergh

Verified Provider
Fair enough, however I am not in the US of A. It would be great to get paid to help elderly people tho, been doing that some years ago here in Sweden.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What are your top 5 entries of your life's list of important things/people?

What was your first experience with the internet?

What is your favorit place for holidays?

What is your - if I would have enough time and money - travel destination?
Top 5 entries for important people/things? I really don't know. Depending on how far back you want to go in history the answer will differ. For me personally, I'll just say friends/family.

Quake and Yahoo Checkers.

Holidays/vacations? I don't really go to one particular place twice (don't have a vacation spot I go to once a year or anything). Though earlier this year I went to Vegas and the Bahamas as part of some FTN trips. Used to live near Vegas and had my 21st birthday there years ago, and not really a big fan of it. Bahamas was nice, but not much different than other islands in the region. Poor people. Cruise ship destinations. Locals try to hustle you and not particularly safe after dark. Probably wont return. I do enjoy the Appalachian Trail / Smoky Mountains National Park. Spend six hours in a car, then go hike some trails. That'd be nice.

If I had time and money, I'd just live as an expat traveling abroad. After URPad sold I wanted to find another job ASAP so I could use my savings and relocate to Thailand for a while, where I could live cheaply and work remotely for a few months and just sort of travel around SE Asia and stuff. Though I was out of work for a bit longer than I wanted so I couldn't do that. If money wasn't an issue, I'd stay somewhere a couple months and then move on to somewhere new. Places I'd ideally like to visit would be South America (minus Mexico), Egypt, Dubai, Thailand, Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan and China. New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji. Can't ignore Europe, though nowhere specific in mind for that. Would just have to spend months there wandering around aimlessly.

Fair enough, however I am not in the US of A. It would be great to get paid to help elderly people tho, been doing that some years ago here in Sweden.
Yeah, it seemed like a cool perk to work there. It's nice to see a company encourage their employees to participate in their local communities by volunteering, and even cooler that they (the company) rewards you for doing that outside of your scheduled work hours by paying you your hourly wage anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner