amuck-landowner

I need a rackmount chasis custom built.

willie

We did this where I used to work, we got 1U enclosures made and they were stupidly expensive, way over $300 each even though we got a couple thousand of them IIRC.  They cost more than the computer stuff inside the box.  I think the idea was that the cost was supposed to decrease as quantity kept going up (like past 10k units), but we ended up switching to a different design before that happened.  Overall I don't think custom enclosures are a great plan, and $300 in small quantity is wishful thinking.  There are plenty of 4U storage server enclosures available these days, that hold tons of drives, either 3.5" or 2.5" or both.  There's blade enclosures too.

coreyman

Verified Provider
We did this where I used to work, we got 1U enclosures made and they were stupidly expensive, way over $300 each even though we got a couple thousand of them IIRC.  They cost more than the computer stuff inside the box.  I think the idea was that the cost was supposed to decrease as quantity kept going up (like past 10k units), but we ended up switching to a different design before that happened.  Overall I don't think custom enclosures are a great plan, and $300 in small quantity is wishful thinking.  There are plenty of 4U storage server enclosures available these days, that hold tons of drives, either 3.5" or 2.5" or both.  There's blade enclosures too.
You got ripped off. If you had a couple thousand made then there is no way in hell it should have cost that much. I've already got a quote for around $400 from a place mentioned previously in the thread for a 4u chasis. I think a local shop can do it cheaper honestly - they could probably use the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

zomgmike

Verified Provider
I hate to suggest something that requires a heavy redesign, but maybe you can work from the angle of remodeling an older-style 4u chassis that you can find on ebay.  So rather than start from scratch, you can find a similar looking chassis on ebay and modify it.

Building an entire chassis requires equipment and a skillset that you might not have.  Remodeling a chassis may be accomplished with a few basic tools, like a dremel and a drill.  Chassis like this used to be widely used 10+ years ago and might be at the point in their lifecycle where you can aquire them cheap.  It sounds like a blank canvas for what you're doing.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I hate to suggest something that requires a heavy redesign, but maybe you can work from the angle of remodeling an older-style 4u chassis that you can find on ebay.  So rather than start from scratch, you can find a similar looking chassis on ebay and modify it.

Building an entire chassis requires equipment and a skillset that you might not have.  Remodeling a chassis may be accomplished with a few basic tools, like a dremel and a drill.  Chassis like this used to be widely used 10+ years ago and might be at the point in their lifecycle where you can aquire them cheap.  It sounds like a blank canvas for what you're doing.
I know I don't have the equipment or skillset - that's why I'm looking to hire someone that does.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Maybe it's just me but it sounds like metal workers and fabricators in the US are greedy as hell.

There's a metal fabricators just along the road from me in the industrial unit and they've made parts for me before - some based on sketchup drawings and some on 'back-of-a-fag-packet' drawings. A 4u chassis wouldn't cost me more than £150 I reckon.

Maybe you need to find a more agreeable fabricator/metal shop?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Maybe it's just me but it sounds like metal workers and fabricators in the US are greedy as hell.
No it's universally that way among industrialized nations of wealth and middle class. I suspect you could even find a lot of high pricing in China.

I was working on a custom case 5~ years ago for mini form factor boards and lots of them.   I could find a local blue collar metal shop, but whole rails and up to DC level finish would be refinement and cost.  Small things would add up.

At one point I contacted a company in the UK who had blueprints and designs online and had built and shipped units.  A 4U unit, just the case $2600 USD.  Needless to say, I scrapped that idea.

I find it routinely hard to find professional services for reasonable rates in most blue collar fields. 

Heck I went looking for an auger motor a few weeks ago and the manufacturer doesn't deal with the public.  I can contact the manufacturer of the device this goes in, but they will upcharge handsomely.  So that, when I get to it is finding the master distributor / sales agent outsource person and find warehouse they stock such.  But often, even that is a hassle, as those places don't sell to the public which then means back to the sales agent for another referral.  Probably a $35 part that they'll end up squeezing $100+ out of me for.

I must have spent 2 weeks years back trying to find regional source for kevlar belts to a certain spec.  Knew the model, manufacturer, etc.  Horror finding someone that would sell to public.  Had another similar experience with HVAC piping of all things.

It's a protection racket and the high prices are them often sizing up your wallet which I find insulting.  Price should be similar for any five different people, not ad hoc justified by their perceived value of the collection of coins in your purse.

amuck-landowner