amuck-landowner

Improved vpsBoard search results. Switched to Sphinx.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Hey folks,

The search feature on vpsBoard was definitely lacking. It was very difficult to find specific threads, particular keywords would return less than ideal results. The default IPB search setup was pretty poor. For example, previously if you searched for 'KVM', you'd expect to get results for threads regarding KVM offers, tutorials, etc. Well, the old search method would show no results, with sphinx however, you'll find what you're looking for.

It's 5:15AM so no grand detailed multi-paragraph write-up. Just know that the search method has improved to display better results. :D

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
^--- oh we have a badass here.  :D

About darn time matey.

I went holiday shopping in the offers section for someones KVM request and presto, zippo results.

Had been a nagging "complaint" of mine.  I recommended it, MannDude did all the work.

Little bit of performance hit at the moment so site is yo-yoing on responsiveness.   MannDude is ironing that out now.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yeah... seems something is causing some lag. Resource usage is normal on both machines, nothing weird going on from a quick glance.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Only thing is that new posts may not show up in results immediately. The indexer runs every 15 minutes so if you post a 6:01AM your topic/response won't appear in results until 6:15. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.

EDIT: I can adjust this value later. Will keep it this way for now, and if I remember or am reminded later I will lower it after the weekend so it indexes more often.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanarp

Search is doing great now. Thanks MannDude!

Is there a way to always select Forums as "Search Section" no matter what page I might be on?

amuck-landowner