amuck-landowner

Incero Review - AVOID

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 If you were paying under $500.00/month for your server+commit, then let me tell you, it wasn't a dedicated commit.
Face it, there aren't many small or low end providers outlaying cash like that for dedicated bandwidth.   Especially where they are into a facility 1-3 servers.   It's very rare.

The problem with what gets sold vs. what it actually is (bandwidth), is well, legendary distortion with some providers.  Incero, not so much though.  Something was wrong in the software stack, a config of some sort of NIC issues.

I'm stumped by the network performance for a same-location transfer, especially if compression and scp were eliminated from the puzzle.

I've been a fan of the network at Corexchange.  Incero uses Corexchange's blend plus adds to it their own Cogent (Corexchange has Cogent in their blend already) and nLayer.  nLayer is kind of hit or miss for me elsewhere and blah.  The Corexchange blend is heavy on Level3,  Abovenet and NTT.   I'd take that network over most networks in the US.  Incero's usage seems to be 46% Cogent,  38% Corexchange and 15% nLayer, so very different that Corexchange house blend.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Face it, there aren't many small or low end providers outlaying cash like that for dedicated bandwidth.   Especially where they are into a facility 1-3 servers.   It's very rare.

The problem with what gets sold vs. what it actually is (bandwidth), is well, legendary distortion with some providers.  Incero, not so much though.  Something was wrong in the software stack, a config of some sort of NIC issues.

I'm stumped by the network performance for a same-location transfer, especially if compression and scp were eliminated from the puzzle.

I've been a fan of the network at Corexchange.  Incero uses Corexchange's blend plus adds to it their own Cogent (Corexchange has Cogent in their blend already) and nLayer.  nLayer is kind of hit or miss for me elsewhere and blah.  The Corexchange blend is heavy on Level3,  Abovenet and NTT.   I'd take that network over most networks in the US.  Incero's usage seems to be 46% Cogent,  38% Corexchange and 15% nLayer, so very different that Corexchange house blend.
I liked and still like CX ( We have couple of nodes there and started NH from there, being a direct CX client that is), but right now, I am loving Internap bandwidth. 

TheLinuxBug

Doesn't exempt the provider (Incero) from justifying piss poor lack of network throughput though.  The damn testing was done to another customer in the same facility (Doh!). No packets left the local network/VLAN.

Honestly, there are a lot of unknowns here.  My bet is Catalyst owned their hardware and colocates it, if this is the case, they may be using a better gigabit nic in their server than what he has.  Also, this could be some issues with server config, TCP window sizes, etc.  You can not compare apples to oranges and expect the same results.  Do you know if Catalyst has their own routers and networking hardware?  Do they use fiber to connect instead of copper? You get the picture.

You should have been more patient with them and worked with them to find a resolution. Instead it seems you were quick to call them idiots and tell them they didn't know what they were doing.  In short, I do not think you were very professional.  Also, in cases where you have issues like this, PICK UP THE PHONE and call them. Often times in tickets they can be misunderstood or someone said something and it didn't come across the way it should.  If I were you, that would have been the first thing I would have done.

Anyhow, you pretty much burnt a bridge with this thread, so now we are just beating a dead horse.

Cheers!

shovenose

Verified Provider

I specifically asked about it. Look at the ticket. I was assured it was a dedicated gigabit of bandwidth. He could have told me it was shared bandwidth, would have been no big deal. But it doesn't resolve the issue that I've got 100 meg ports from other providers that have better upload than that WITHOUT ANY OF THESE OPTIMIZATIONS.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Honestly, there are a lot of unknowns here.  My bet is Catalyst owned their hardware and colocates it, if this is the case, they may be using a better gigabit nic in their server than what he has.  Also, this could be some issues with server config, TCP window sizes, etc.  You can not compare apples to oranges and expect the same results.  Do you know if Catalyst has their own routers and networking hardware?  Do they use fiber to connect instead of copper? You get the picture.

Afaik, these are rented hardware :(. They will be there soon though. VERY SOON!

shovenose

Verified Provider

I specifically asked about it. Look at the ticket. I was assured it was a dedicated gigabit of bandwidth. He could have told me it was shared bandwidth, would have been no big deal. But it doesn't resolve the issue that I've got 100 meg ports from other providers that have better upload than that WITHOUT ANY OF THESE OPTIMIZATIONS.

shovenose

Verified Provider

You should have been more patient with them and worked with them to find a resolution. Instead it seems you were quick to call them idiots and tell them they didn't know what they were doing.  In short, I do not think you were very professional.  Also, in cases where you have issues like this, PICK UP THE PHONE and call them. Often times in tickets they can be misunderstood or someone said something and it didn't come across the way it should.  If I were you, that would have been the first thing I would have done.

Anyhow, you pretty much burnt a bridge with this thread, so now we are just beating a dead horse.

Cheers!
They do not pick up the phone. I have called them on several occasions, left very nice voicemails, etc.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Bottom line is be respectful to your provider. Don't treat them like your house servant. You pay for service but you're also expected to be a decent human being. They have other clients. Catalyst can burst gigabit speeds (I do it to Atlanta) and its quite evident that a software issue is certainly up there in the list of possibilities. When the provider tells you it's definitely not on their end, you either trust them or don't, but when you accuse them of being wrong and curse at them you should probably make backups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris

First off,I do not have anything personal against Gordon. It has been my experience, however, that if your patient and work with him, he will work with you. Though, as some others have mentioned, if your a dick (or he thinks you are being so) he will quickly toss you aside like yesterdays used underwear.
I've personally heard Gordon's a bit of a twat. Not sure of what happened here, but if the deleted server fits...

concerto49

Verified Provider
Have to add that Incero's changing of policies around at different times, giving clients very little time to act on most things and putting charges and what feels like threats on everything happening hasn't provided a great experience. It definitely feels that Gordon can be nice at times, but suddenly flip on it again.

Currently do have a service at Incero and that would be my review of it.

It appears that they don't have 24/7 support or perhaps support at all and any higher priority support = payment or ignored. It will be refunded if it's a real issue, but that still feels like a threat / poor practice. It's not the way to go.

Anyway, all this is known as per what's been on LET etc.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Afaik, these are rented hardware :(. They will be there soon though. VERY SOON!
This is true and actually a carefully made choice for a lot of reasons I won't bore anyone with here, but I'm actually quite proud of this detail :)

shovenose

Verified Provider
Bottom line is be respectful to your provider. Don't treat them like your house servant. You pay for service but you're also expected to be a decent human being. They have other clients. Catalyst can burst gigabit speeds (I do it to Atlanta) and its quite evident that a software issue is certainly up there in the list of possibilities. When the provider tells you it's definitely not on their end, you either trust them or don't, but when you accuse them of being wrong and curse at them you should probably make backups.
Jarland, I lost respect for him when it was clear he did not value having me a customer. Did I call him an "arrogant prick" in the support ticket? No. I just said that I thought his theory was BS and that I did not appreciate being treated like shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

concerto49

Verified Provider
Jarland, I lost respect for him when it was clear he did not value having me a customer. Did I call him an "arrogant prick" in the support ticket? No. I just said that I thought his theory was BS and that I did not appreciate being treated like shit.
Incero is like an empire. You either agree with the king or you don't. Having said that our service works fine. It's mainly the policies / support / etc that I disagree on.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Incero is like an empire. You either agree with the king or you don't. Having said that our service works fine. It's mainly the policies / support / etc that I disagree on.
Yes, well I might not be the best with this stuff but I treat my customers like people. Not like worthless pain in the asses.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I wouldn't have cancelled @shovenose in a hurry like this.  Shit and bullshit are nothing words. It's a crazy situation.   Those speeds were better than 100Mbps but in some places, barely.  It's more like a 200Mbps service.

I've been with many providers over the years.  Often the ones that can't or won't debug the issues like these aren't worth dealing with.  Certainly most are far more willing to determine the problem.

Others said it about 24/7 support not really existing and pay to get some more support.  Been there and done that elsewhere.  It's not a good approach.

I feel for the customers of BetterVPS.   What did you do with folks who signed up and were terminated in this matter?

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@shovenose in my experience it is very important to pick a good DC to do business with. If you see arrogant behaviour and knee jerk reactions from the DC personal then just run the other way.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
And this is why ColoCrossing is the ideal budget dedicated provider in this industry.
@GVH-Jon sure is, I've asked Jon three times for some quotes and he didn't reply. In this business, that's two times too many. Maybe he's allergic to my money or something, who knows...

amuck-landowner