amuck-landowner

Internet Explorer Security Flaw Allows Hackers to Hijack Your PC

KuJoe

Verified Provider
When posting a thread about a security exploit for a browser, it would make more sense to post a link to  the browser's Security Advisory instead of linking to a site that people may have never heard of.

Essentially you posted "People can take over computers via your browser, now click this link that doesn't look familiar."

That being said, people use IE still because of various requirements. At my job I am able to submit paperwork to get added to a whitelist to use another browser on my laptop, but I don't see the point since there is no benefit to using another browser for work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
That being said, people use IE still because of various requirements. At my job I am able to submit paperwork to get added to a whitelist to use another browser on my laptop, but I don't see the point since there is no benefit to using another browser for work.
That's fairly bizarre - all of us in IT here urge people away from IE.  We've even let go of two third-party development companies recently because they refused to dev for anything except IE.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
That's fairly bizarre - all of us in IT here urge people away from IE.  We've even let go of two third-party development companies recently because they refused to dev for anything except IE.
The compliance audits here are pretty insane and the fines for not passing an audit are pretty hefty also. I'm not sure if the audits are for the SEC or what but having root access to billions of dollars worth of data makes our auditors err on the side of caution.

But like I said, I could submit paperwork to get Chrome installed on my laptop but then there's a whole issue of liability if something were to happen even if Chrome was not the culprit.

Hxxx

Like Aldryic mentioned, some industries  / companies are just stuck with IE because the majority of developers in areas such as Electronic Medical Records make their system only compatible with IE, meaning that Chrome , FF and others just don't work. They don't even keep it up to date with the last IE developments... One have to turn on the compatibility option for such medical related sites. Is a huge concern...

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
If you're still using IE as your main browser you are stuck in the wrong decade people.

markjcc

Many schools and other businesses still use windows xp which is a more bigger concern over IE.

My local home depot still use's Windows XP their machines to apply have like some retro Windows 98 GUI

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
It's amazing that IE is still used by so many people worldwide, and the most disturbing thing is that big chunk of its users are companies/banks/etc.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
It's amazing that IE is still used by so many people worldwide, and the most disturbing thing is that big chunk of its users are companies/banks/etc.
The issue is that a lot of Enterprise Applications only support Internet Explorer. Usually due to lazy or stupid coding decisions. Migrating off those platforms would be expensive, so they stick with IE. There's also the support and changes timeframe. Firefox and Chrome are CONSTANTLY changing, which can cause issues. Firefox has its ESR releases, which stay supported for longer periods of time, but that can't compare to IE versions, which remain supported for LONG periods of time. Internet Explorer hasn't been all that bad from IE 9+. IE 9 was actually somewhat decent and standards compliant, IE 10 was even more so, and IE 11 is actually fairly decent. I still prefer Chrome, of course, but if I really need to, I can tolerate IE 11. IE 11 ALSO has "Enterprise Mode", which greatly improves backward compatibility to sites designed for older IE versions. No more being stuck on IE 8!

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Internet Explorer (since IE9) is actually somewhat decent. IE 9 finally started complying to Standards, and IE 10 and 11 improved compliance and features. IE11 is actually a decent browser. The increased competition from Firefox and Chrome finally got Microsoft to kick in to high gear on IE development, and they basically re-wrote it from scratch. 

amuck-landowner